Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:28 AM
andboy
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Well the varnish worked fine. I applied it with a paper towel and wiped off the excess, it was still a little light, another coat with the paper towel and it balances perfectly!

Old 12-17-2005, 09:11 AM
alpal

Hello to everyone at club Saito
I'm new to these posts and I have questions.,,,,,,I have a Saito 300 twin and it fits like a glove into a 1/5th scale FW-190 A8.made by Sist Modelbaum in Germany. Now my question is if I make my own exhaust pipes, I want to have exhaust going out of the scale locations.
The two main outlets on the model are at the sides right next to the exhaust manifolds, so the pipe will be short, say an inch, but I want to fan this out at the end like the full size. The other location is at the very bottom of the firewall. If I make this up, will it affect the "tuning" of the motor? Its not like a 2 steoke is it, a 4 stroke doesn't need an exhaust pipe at all ?? Am I right??
Next Question:....can the Siato twin be run without the rocker covers?? Although the Saito fits inside the cowl like a glove, it may be just touching, and with vibration will not be good. I have seen radial engines without rocker covers....
I am told that the Saito twin runs smoothly with little vibration...again ,,,is this true.
Hey guys what do you think of the reliability of the Saito, specifficaly the twin??
I await your (If any) replies
Alex
Old 12-17-2005, 04:06 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I have a question about my Saito 150. I got the engine used as did the previous owner, so I don't know how old or how worn it is. It seems to run fine, but it has a definite whine at low throttle settings. Almost sounds like the gearbox on some electrics. I replaced the bearings but it didn't seem to help. What else could be causing the whine? Could it not be getting enough oil to the bearings or cam gear?

Thnaks,

joebob
Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, two new entries:

145 alpal
146 joebob

Alpal:

The exhaust is not critical so long as you maintain enough restriction to have decent fuel pressure. You might also check with Keeleo Creations, they will make an exhaust to your specification if you decide it's too much bother to make it yourself. If yours is the FA-300T you shouldn't have any problem, if it's the FA-300TTDP you might end up with the exhaust too close to the two carb intakes. Watch that.

Running without the rocker covers? Yes, you can, but it will be messy. First there will be the oil coming out of the pushrod tubes that might or might not get back to the rocker pivots and valve stems, so you will need to squirt oil on the valve gear before every flying session. Additionally if the rockers do hit the cowling they will knock bits off the inside. If it's a fiberglass cowl these small particles can aggravate the wear of the rocker gear, if they travel to the intake they will wear the entire engine. Just not a good idea.

Once broken in, the 300 twin is a really smooth engine, but it does have a torque induced vibration you can't get rid of.
--------------------------
Joebob:

Did you inspect the timing gears when the engine was apart? If you're sure you didn't damage a bearing on installation the gears are about all that's left. Did you use a new gasket on the cam box? Or did you assemble it with no gasket? In either case the timing gear lash could be off - this will cause a whine.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
joebob

Thanks, Bill. The only thing I replaced was the bearings. I'll look at the gears to see if anything looks amiss there. I'm sure you've outlined procedures for minimizing gear lash somewhrere, so I'll look for that before I ask you how!

On a side note, the Saito had it in for me a couple of weeks ago. I had it on the nose of my new OMP Fusion and was trying to get it set when the prop reached out and bit me. APC 17x6 spinning at even 4000 RPM still makes a mess. Took 10 stitches to close two gashes on my right hand. But I was flying again last weekend, stitches and all!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:49 PM
William Robison

Joe:

It wasn't the Saito that got you, it was the innate nasty character of APC props. I avoid their use. A MAS or Zinger will give you a nasty whack but they don't have two razor tipped blades just waiting for a chance to get you. Hope there was no permanent damage, even to your wallet.

When possible, I'll reuse the original cam box gasket with a light smear of RTV on both sides. Keeps the mesh where it was to begin with, and the RTV ensures a good seal. The only time I really bother with a mesh check is with a new cam. If the old gasket is damaged I'll mike it, add a couple thousandths for compression, and go. Works fine, at least so far.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Ernie Misner

Gaines, are you guys running any pressure to the tank at all?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM
joebob

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Joe:

Hope there was no permanent damage, even to your wallet.

Bill.
Well, let me put it this way: The bill I got from the emergency room would have paid for a nice 1/4 scale 3D bird!

I don't remember a seal on the gasket cover, but there may have been one. Is the gasket what determines the gear lash?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
William Robison

Joe:

I had an intense gut pain a few weeks ago, I too went to the emergency room. They left me alone until the pain was gone, then said it was just a minor urinary infection. Gave me a prescription for amoxycillin. $4500 just for that, and I still had to pay for the prescription. Medical costs are adultery over murder.

Yes, the gasket of the cam cover sets the timing gear lash. Most Saitos will lock up if the cam is installed with no gasket, some few will still turn without a gasket but they're tighter than desired.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:42 PM
mstcitabria

Willam,
Just bought a new Saito 1.00 for my TOC Yak Pro. Going to break in the motor on the bench and was wandering what would be the right prop to use while being broke in? Also, once the motor is broke in what would be the right prop for this plane/motor combination? The Yak should weigh in right around 7 lbs. I use Wildcat 15% in my other four strokes, is this ok to use in the Saito 1.00? Thanks for any input, and can I get on that list as the newest Saito Fan, thats one sweet motor...................mstcitabria
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM
William Robison

mstcitabria:

There is no need for a special break-in prop on a Saito. You're going to keep the rpm down with a rich mixture so you don't need a light load allowing the rpm to go up.

With a 7# plane a 15x6 prop should work fine, but if you want a little more "Grunt" coming out of low speed maneuvers a 16x4 could be better.

Bill.

PS: You're number 147. Welcome. wr.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
William Robison

mstcitabria:

Sorry, I missed your fuel question.

The 15% Wildcat fuel is fine, but for the first gallon or two I'd add two more ounces of castor oil in each gallon.

Personally, I use the Omega fuel, also at 15% nitro. I think the biggest difference is what's available in your area. Morgan fuels are easy to find here.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:06 PM
gwulle

Ernie;
We are runing just the exaust pipe with no muffler at all. If the engine installation doesn't permit I just take a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the end of the muffler off just enough to make it the same diamater as the exaust pipe. We use no pressure on the fuel tank at all. We are 10' above sea level here. Hope this helps. I like the looks of the Saito straight exausts,but I have to find out the diameter of the exaust pipe on the Saito 220.

Gaines
Old 12-17-2005, 10:12 PM
gwulle

Bill;
My friend, that is teaching me about 4 strokes,puts 2 oz. of castor in every gal. of fuel he buys and he also uses a syringe and puts 4cc of castor in the vent nipple after each flying session. It makes sense to me,what do you think?

Gaines
Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 PM
William Robison

Gaines:

The added castor in the fuel will never hurt anything, and it can be a very good thing to have.

At the same time I don't use castor as after run oil, it tends to congeal and gum things up when it's left too long. In a two stroke this is no problem as the fresh fuel softens it when the engine is started again. a four stroke never gets fresh fuel in the bottom end. By using automatic transmission oil (ATF) the bottom end stays well oiled and doesn't stiffen up.

How much to use? Four ounces is fine, after you squirt it in spin the engine a couple seconds with your starter to get it evenly distributed. Then hang the plane up for the next time.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:59 PM
gwulle

Bill;
Thanks for the suggestion!! I will get some tomorrow.

Gaines
Old 12-17-2005, 11:05 PM
gwulle

Bill;
What size prop do you think I should use on my new Saito 220? It's going on a Hanger 9 Extra 260. I have a couple 18X8 Zingers I need to do something with. Are they a possibilty? Thanks

Gaines
Old 12-17-2005, 11:16 PM
William Robison

Gaines:

I have zero experience with the FA-220, but according to the book the 18x8 isn't enough prop. an 18x10 would work, or with the lower pitch go for a 20x8.

Hobbsy is getting one set up, maybe he'll come in and tell us what he's using.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

How much to use? Four ounces is fine
[X(][X(][X(]
Old 12-18-2005, 12:12 AM
William Robison

Tom:

Thanks. Four ounces would fill two or five of these engines leaving no air space. Gaines' friend probably meant 4 cc's in the engine. Over filling wont hurt though, so long as you turn the engine over a time or two by hand, any excess will come back out the vent.

Bill.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 AM
alpal

Hi Bill Thanks for the rapid reply.
Looks like I will have to run without all four rocker covers, or grind them down a bit!
I only need 1/16th of an inch or so.
Yes I do have the 300TTDP with one carb. What do you mean I will have to watch how close the exhaust is to the intake?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:24 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Gaines,
I'm an old Beaumont boy!
Moved away in '87 but my mother still lives there.
I was heavy into RC then but got out when I left.
Just got back flying this summer.
I'm sure if you mention my name to the old timers, after the initial rain of rocks and bottles, they will remember me!
Tell all John L. Konneker said Hi!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Joe, my old 1.50 has whined since day one and it has never been a problem in about 14 years. It whines all the time not just at low speeds, the sounds has never changed. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

Actually, it sounds pretty cool at high revs.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 AM
William Robison

Al:

If you only need another 1/16" clearance, consider adding an amount of thickness to the cowling, then enlarging it on the inside.

The FA-300T has a single carb, in the middle, with intake pipes leading to each cylinder. Also, each cylinder has one glow plug.

The FA-300TTDP has two carbs, one sticking straight out the back from the ports on the two cylinders. and it has two glow plugs in each cylinder.

With the TDP engine a short exhaust stub could have burned gases drawn back into the intake.

Bill.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM
joebob

Thanks, Hobbsy. It doesn't seem to affect the running of the engine any, but it just sounds strange. I just want to make sure there isn't a problem waiting to manifest itself at a most inopportune time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.