Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Garthwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Garthwood try adjusting YOUR main CHW needle..(can't hear wife)
Aussie,

Wrong chap mate . Never asked that question.

Garthwood.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Valve clearance .04mm to .1 mm

You might try some different fuel?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
chashint

After following the thread where a 125 would not hold good rpm on the high end, and seeing many different reports on what the engine will or rather will not do, I just couldn't wait any longer to run the 125 and see what I have.
So this afternoon I got it mounted up on the test stand and began the break-in.
I am following the instructions in the manual and so far so good.
Initial impression is very good, the engine is very easy to start and even though there are reports of harsh vibration it seems to run very smoothly to me.
At 4k rpm and the HS needle set 5 turns out. a lot of raw fuel comes out of the exhaust and the vent line so a tank of fuel gets used up pretty quickly.
The head and rocker covers were only warm to the touch at the end of the first tank.
The low speed run-in is complete along with a few short runs of 3/4 throttle and a couple of bursts at WOT.
I was losing light fast by the time I got up to WOT, I saw 8k on the tach but the tach was becoming intermittent so I don't know if that was real or not.
Since the HS needle is still set 5 turns out if the 8k is real I think that looks pretty good.
Will resume tomorrow and post the details when the engine has been leaned.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
w8ye

Charlie, Keep us posted
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You may have the two fuel lines to the tank crossed. In other words, the vent line is hooked to the carburetor rather than the muffler.

The engine crankcase vent must be open to the atmosphere

When you say the engine crankcase vent must be open to the atmosphere, I presume you mean the vent must be clear.

I do have a 2 inch piece of fuel line attached to it but it is open on the end of course.

I will be sending this 56 back to Horizon Hobby for repair. It's a lemon.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
w8ye

It sounds as though you had the crankcase vent hooked up correctly.

That's too bad you are having trouble with your 56.

I hope you get the issue resolved soon.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to keep in mind that there is always a reason when an engine won't start.

Sometimes we confuse performing a memorized ritual (following the instructions) for actually knowing what we are doing. The engine does not acknowledge ritual performances. It is a lump of metal. It takes time and repeated experiences for we mere mortals to acquire the knowledge of what is and is not transpiring. Hang in there and keep on trying. You will get it, but not unless you perform these rituals enough times. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 12-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Rudolph Hart

Funny as mate and cheers to you this new year
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Chas you made me laugh like hell,my impressions too when you've got a brand new engine staked to the benchtop,and sh33tin yourself.Magnificent description of what that feels like .
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Rudolph Hart

You're still a ******* ed
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Uh, thanks, I think.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Falcon32

Hi w8ye
Thanks for the info on the valve clearance.
I have used the same fuel for the last 5 gallons with no problem, why do you think I should try a different one?
Any one else have any idea's?

Thanks
Don
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: leedees

When you say the engine crankcase vent must be open to the atmosphere, I presume you mean the vent must be clear.

I do have a 2 inch piece of fuel line attached to it but it is open on the end of course.

Before you send your engine back to Horizon, try this:

Take a spare tank, strap it on the plane with rubber bands or something similar, at about the same height of the center of the carb. If you STILL have the same problem, then you can assume it is something wrong with the engine itself.

If your problem goes away, you know there is something wrong with your fuel supply. Look for kinked lines too!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Falcon32

Hi w8ye
Thanks for the info on the valve clearance.
I have used the same fuel for the last 5 gallons with no problem, why do you think I should try a different one?
Any one else have any idea's?

Thanks
Don
You make no mention of trying to readjust the needle valve for the cooler weather? Cooler weather requires that the needle be opened more

30% nitro fuel will go bad at the drop of a hat if exposed to the sun or moisture. It's always a good idea to try some different fuel when you engine starts running bad

Model four stroke engines all have the same valve clearance settings for the intake and exhaust valve

The Saito feeler gauge that comes with the Saito 125 is .1mm. The chances are better engine will idle and take the throttle better at that setting than at the minimum tolerance of .04mm.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

You too mate
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Garthwood

How ya going mate ?. Have a nice New year to ya too .
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
jmcmike
My Feedback: (45)

HEY CLUB SAITO,Finally got my new 115 going over the weekend and all i can say is wow, what a great motor. from one backflip start to wide open, its the best motor ive owned. On my 8th tank put the tack on it with a 16-4w 15 cool power very rich,looked like a smoke system, it did 9450 on my tach, am i in the ball park or need more prop? jmcmike
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
w8ye

My friend ran a APC 17-4 on a 125 all this past summer on a twist 60. He only ran full throttle to get out of trouble in short bursts
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: leedees

Before you send your engine back to Horizon, try this:

Take a spare tank, strap it on the plane with rubber bands or something similar, at about the same height of the center of the carb. If you STILL have the same problem, then you can assume it is something wrong with the engine itself.

If your problem goes away, you know there is something wrong with your fuel supply. Look for kinked lines too!

Ken, great minds think alike! The last thing I did last evening was strap on another brand new tank and plumbing with rubber bands hoping that the installed tank or plumbing within was the problem. It didn't solve the problem but my wife asked if I was trying to fly that Cub to China. Many thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
leedees

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger N2ECW

You have to keep in mind that there is always a reason when an engine won't start.

Sometimes we confuse performing a memorized ritual (following the instructions) for actually knowing what we are doing. The engine does not acknowledge ritual performances. It is a lump of metal. It takes time and repeated experiences for we mere mortals to acquire the knowledge of what is and is not transpiring. Hang in there and keep on trying. You will get it, but not unless you perform these rituals enough times. <G>

Ed Cregger

Well said Ed. I have said many times that when I can't solve a problem it is because there is simply something I don't know. Unfortunately there's something I don't know almost all the time!

Lee
Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
pmillerusa

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]A successful update...

I was able to get the .91s on a test stand yesterday and ran 2 tanks through it.

The manual calls for 2.5 turns open, but it needed a little less (closer to 2) to keep from being TOO rich. Had a 14x8 prop on it for the slow break-in and what a wonderful sound.

Initially had the tank too low and it was loosing prime after it started. Once I brought the tank up to a more recommended level it starts with a quick flip. Didn't tach it yet as this was all very slow running.

Very happy with the Power Master 20/20 as far as starting goes. I'll tach it over this coming weekend with a 14x6 and see where I end up.

For a first time Saito owner (formerly a 2-stroke guy only) this is a great intro to 4-strokes…

Thanks for the advice and confirmation (fuels etc) on this forum…
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

i have the 90twin and just added a fa56 for my elder 40! what number member am i?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After buying my second saito, the never-started saito 91 GK for 100 dollars, I sorta expected to be able to buy other 2nd hand saitos for dirt cheap as well. Not the case. These things demand high dollar it appears.

People are spending more for used saitos than brand new magnums. I guess I will too.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
pmillerusa

I tell you, I havent even flown mine yet and something about the quiet Timex llike precision sound of this thing has me knowing its a keeper.

My 91 was ~$280 new and that seemed to be the going price. Getting one for 100 bones would be a steal and I imagine far and few between. Glad you were able to get it however and hope it proves to be a good performer. (did you say never-started?? [sm=teeth_smile.gif] - that sounds like a real deal)

Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

#623 VF84sluggo

#624 pmillerusa

welcome to the club!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.