Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

We don't have a noise issue so light and loud is cool
Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM
RC Specialties

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OF,

They have not gone into production yet. The prototypes are still being tested. I hope to have them available soon. Things look very promising as a replacement for the stock muffler.

Thank you Dave for some field testing.

Jim
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You're welcome Jim, any excuse to run an engine, the sound is deep and authoritive but does not seem loud.

OF, it is not the same as the 1.50/1.80, they have 14mm threads the 2.20 has 15mm threads. The 2.20 and the 1.25 are the odd balls, and odd #s, with the 1.25 having 13mm threads.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 PM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Saito newbie here ... so far I have one FA-30S (bought on eBay) which I plan to use in a control line Twister or Ringmaster. Any four stroke control liners on here?

Here's a bench run of my FA-30S. I have managed to get it to settle down and run much more evenly since taking that video. A MA 10x6 sees it peak at around 9,600 RPM. Recent bench runs have been first flick starts, as I get the hang of it. Most of my previous engine experience is with 1/2A size engines, PAW diesels and older type OSes & Enyas (MAX-S 35, MAX 15, Enya 19-V, etc.).

[link=http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jJi6Wbie3TA]Saito 30 run[/link]

cheers,
Colin
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM
turboomni

I just purchased a Saito 100 to put in my World Models Intruder pattern plane [spa style] My question is how well will this engine run inverted? Is it a PITA,,or no problems.
I am planning on running 30% heli fuel as I am a heli pilot. Any prop suggestions for pattern type plane with this motor??
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 100 does as good upside down as any engine but the 100 is not SPA legal. However, the Saito 100 does have the same exact foot print of the OS 91 Surpass which is legal.

("b. Four cycle engines up to .91 cubic inches with no air chamber or super charging or any kind are legal " )

Usual sport props are 14-8 to 15-6 but pattern use could be different and more like a 13-9
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM
w8ye

Saito 90 degree V Twin with homemade case and crank using two .56 cylinders

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFzii...eature=related

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJVba...e=channel_page

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NeR3ww...e=channel_page
Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Very cool! Looks and sounds like miniature version of the Enya v-twin. Thanks for posting the links.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM
sodbuster 1

ORIGINAL: pmillerusa

wanted to share the Rube Golberg test stand and photo opp of the .91....

definitely like the throttle stick!!
Reminds me of the Wright Flyer!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: turboomni

I just purchased a Saito 100 to put in my World Models Intruder pattern plane [spa style] My question is how well will this engine run inverted? Is it a PITA,,or no problems.
I am planning on running 30% heli fuel as I am a heli pilot. Any prop suggestions for pattern type plane with this motor??
If you make half the mistakes i did you won't believe how hard it's going to be.Fuel tank level is critical when you invert one.Upright on the test bench is a breeze.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Garthwood

I have this same engine Saito FA100 that I installed on a UCD 3D .60. Inverted is the only way this engine is installed in the UCD.
Mine came quite rich from Saito. Had a couple of dead sticks. I then adjusted the low speed to where it should be. I've had no problems since. The 100 can be hand started by back flipping quite easily. With an electric start it is even better. My tank is slightly high maybe a 1/4" above the carb, but it works fine. I don't prime. This engine is still fairly new. About 6 quarts of fuel in the running process so far. But holds the idle. Only thing that my idle is about 2600-2700. I do not put my Saitos on the test bench to run them in. I run mine when they're installed with the cowl off. It's a bit messy as I follow the manual procedure. Half a gallon and she's in the air, and then more adjustment as it's being run-in. Because it is inverted during this run-in process when already installed you'll know pretty well how it is going to behave. It never loaded up on me while on the flight line, but you cannot let it idle for ever.
The UCD because of the narrow fuselage, if ever one needs to fix the location of the fuel tank it requires a bit of surgery.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: chashint

Right now I say this engine is a winner even with the 'violent' shaking at 2.3k maybe it will settle down completely with the final LSN adjustment, but if not ......... HAHA ... I don't need no stinking 2.3k rpm anyway
Yes, they will shake just like you said!!!!! Someone just said they never use a test stand, and my 1.25 would have either broken that habit or the model it was bolted on to!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: blw
ORIGINAL: chashint
Right now I say this engine is a winner even with the 'violent' shaking at 2.3k maybe it will settle down completely with the final LSN adjustment, but if not ......... HAHA ... I don't need no stinking 2.3k rpm anyway
Yes, they will shake just like you said!!!!! Someone just said they never use a test stand, and my 1.25 would have either broken that habit or the model it was bolted on to!!!
LOL. yes I agree, I have never seen an engine shake like that, it could quite possibly break an airplane.
On the first runs the rpm was between 3k and 4k and I thought the reports of vibration were overstated.
After I started to lean the low end and get the idle down is when I found the not so sweet spot, when I was working down in rpm and the shaking started I thought the engine was going to die, but it just kept running and as I closed the throttle it smoothed out.
It is almost comical to watch it tick over at 1800 and then slowly creep up on ~2200, it shakes like one of the blades flew off the prop then at about 2500 or so it smoothes out again.
Plenty of people report that this is related to LSN adjustment so I am not concerned yet.
I helped my son move yesterday and I have been hanging out playing internet and eating "Lucky Peas" so far today, the motivation seems to be low so I don't know if the plan to run the engine some more and do a fine tune on both needles will get executed or not.
I have not played in the Club Saito thread before, it is very active with a wide ranging conversation, maybe I should have bought a Saito sooner
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
w8ye

Charlie, hope you enjoyed your black-eyed peas

Did you have some good corn bread to go with them?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 PM
turboomni

Are you saying the Saito 100 is SPA legal then because of the same "footprint""??
Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: w8ye
Charlie, hope you enjoyed your black-eyed peas
Did you have some good corn bread to go with them?
Oh yeah, I made a nice thick batch of cornbread.
Wifey even did her duty to my tradition by choking down two peas but the face she made when I told her only 363 more to go made me bust out with a belly laugh.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
w8ye

There is no way that a Saito 100 is SPA legal.

If you go to a SPA meet, all they use is the OS 91 Surpass II
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

No, he said that in spite of having the same footprint, it is NOT SPA legal. I wish it were the other way too.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
chashint

Ok here are the numbers on the Saito 125 after I switched to my 'custom mix' fuel and put a "final" tune on both needle valves.
First the fuel, it is a mix of 1 gal Cool Power, 3 gal Wild Cat, and 1 gal Omega all of them are 15% nitro.
This mix yields 17.6% oil (1% castor. 16.6% synthetic), 15% nitro, 67.4% methanol (these numbers are rounded to the tenth).

Prop is 16x6 Master Airscrew K-series
Peak rpm 9160.
Idles smooth at 1800 rpm and does not act like it is struggling to keep running.
Transitions smoothly from idle to WOT and back to idle either fast or slow.
Runs steady and smooth throughout the throttle range with the exception of 2400 to 2500 rpm, I had hoped the shake would go away completely with a good LSN adjustment but it did not, it is now contained between 2400 and 2500 rpm instead of 2200 and 2600 but it is still there and it is very pronounced.
I tried fine-tuning the LSN several times since this obviously affects it, but the first tune was in the sweet spot, I kept coming back to the same setting each time; any more lean and the engine will not transition quickly and any more rich the rpm range of the shake increases.

All-in-all there's not much to dislike about this engine, I can see why you Saito guys are so fanatical about them.
Now I just need an airplane to put it in
Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: w8ye
If you go to a SPA meet, all they use is the OS 91 Surpass II
Yep, and don't ask any of the members why nobody uses Saitos unless you like being talked down to like the unwashed.

Charlie, my 1.25 smoothed out just fine around the 4th tank of fuel. It's a very smooth running engine now.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Rudolph Hart

I see you're an optimist!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Rudolph Hart

Have you tried any heli fuel chas?

A quick post new years day/evening poll..how big is the hangover?? and did you lock up your models so temptation was kept at bay?

Had a few flying friends over and discussion eventually turned to whether you could fly out and then back into my back yard.Sidestepped the temptation but the lekky heli was on the table so we did a bit of lawn mowing.Everything was going fine till the next door neighbours tomcat hopped over the fence.I'm fixing the heli now..anybody else??
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: blw
Charlie, my 1.25 smoothed out just fine around the 4th tank of fuel. It's a very smooth running engine now.
This one has a full gallon of the Omega fuel through it plus 24 oz of my 'home brew concoction'.
It may change with more run time but I figure it is what it is at this point.
I know that this is not the same as OS and Magnum, but I have several of them and they were all stable after this much fuel.
The Saito 125 has widely varying reports of peak rpm and is also described as runs like a clock to it vibrates all its screws loose.
The only experience I have with this particular engine is the one I have in front of me, I am pleased with the peak rpm and while I would like for it to not shake at all it only does it in a 100 rpm window, while I find this a little strange I did see the size of this window change with LSN adjustment. So while I am firmly convinced that I have the LSN adjusted correctly there may still be some wiggle room there.
Normally I never take anything apart unless there is a compelling reason to do so, but I may check the valves just to see where they are at right now.
Thanks to you and everyone else that has followed along, it was fun run the new engine.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: Old Fart
Have you tried any heli fuel chas?
No, I have only used the Omega and my 'home brew concoction'.
I am not going to do anything 'special' for this engine.
My brother and I share, we mostly run OS and Magnum 70 and 91 four strokes with an ASP 60 two stroke and a 46LA thrown into the mix regularly.
The concoction works fine in all of these engines, the Saito will just have to learn to like it too
Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
w8ye

I run the same fuel in all my engines. Right now it's Widcat Super Premium 15%

I don't have anything smaller than 30 and no big ST or Moki engines anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.