Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 AM
weezle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

hello all,

generally speaking what will an increased gap between the rocker arm and the tappet do to my Saito 220?

thanks for any info you might have.
josh
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't say how much? But clearance beyond .004" will do the following in the long term . . . . .
It will wear the valve components out. Maybe drop a valve and damage the cylinder beyond repair
Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: weezle

hello all,

generally speaking what will an increased gap between the rocker arm and the tappet do to my Saito 220?

thanks for any info you might have.
josh
You'll probably lose a-little power due to decreased valve open time and might cause unnecessisary wear and tear to your valve train.

Bill
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weasel you lucky bugger..the rest of us sit and wait to hear one.Mine is a week away.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:04 AM
mike109

G'day OF My new FA-90TS turned up today. It will be going into an old Goldberg Anniversary Cub initially and then later into a new one. I also bought the kit for a new one which I am debating on finishing as a standard J3, a clipped wing version or as a military version if I can find an Australian colour scheme. The RAAF did have a few during and after WWII.

I took my new Lanzo Bomber with my Saito FA-62 for nose weight out for its test flight a couple of days ago. Went really well. By the third flight I was taking of on full power and flying up steeply for 30 seconds and then playing gliders. It was a warm day with thunder storms building so there was lots of lift. I had to force it to come down. Fun.

Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
VeeAte

Just bought a barely used Saito FA-50 and was wondering what this engine is like power wise compared with the newer FA-56?

I have two planes I can put it in. .40 size Super Chipmunk or a .40 size Ultimate.
Any suggestions as to which would be the better plane to put it in?

I have a new ASP .61 FS to find a home for too.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day OF My new FA-90TS turned up today. It will be going into an old Goldberg Anniversary Cub initially and then later into a new one. I also bought the kit for a new one which I am debating on finishing as a standard J3, a clipped wing version or as a military version if I can find an Australian colour scheme. The RAAF did have a few during and after WWII.

I took my new Lanzo Bomber with my Saito FA-62 for nose weight out for its test flight a couple of days ago. Went really well. By the third flight I was taking of on full power and flying up steeply for 30 seconds and then playing gliders. It was a warm day with thunder storms building so there was lots of lift. I had to force it to come down. Fun.

Mike
My dad's 1952 Chris Craft powerboat would pick up a couple hundred RPM at full throttle just before and after a rainstorm.

Bill
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
w8ye

Mike
Sounds as though you are on your way to full enjoyment of the model hobby -Jim
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: VeeAte

Just bought a barely used Saito FA-50 and was wondering what this engine is like power wise compared with the newer FA-56?

I have two planes I can put it in. .40 size Super Chipmunk or a .40 size Ultimate.
Any suggestions as to which would be the better plane to put it in?

I have a new ASP .61 FS to find a home for too.
I have or have had both these engines.
The Saito 50 has all the operator friendliness of the Saito 56. It has almost as much power. There's not a material difference in power between the 56 and the 50. You will enjoy

I had a Magnum and a ASP 61 four stroke for a few years. I found them to be very user friendly. I sold them and picked up OS 52's in their place which did not have as much poer nor were they as user friendly on needle settings.

I think your two engines will work well in either of your planes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello mike,have you run the 90t in yet?? and a military scheme would be good,most of them are yellow.Got any pics of the lanzo??

I've got as far as i can on the 68" extra 330 minus engine.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
VeeAte

Thanks w8ye.

Wasnt sure if being an older series engine would mean it wasnt very powerful for its size.

Am thinking I will put the Saito in the Chipmunk and the ASP .61 into the Ultimate.

Will see how that goes. Can always swap them over later.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
mike109

G'day Bill. Way back in the mists of time (OK, in the late 1960s) I was driving a Morris Minor Series II. It weighed about the same as a modern Corolla but had an engine of 803cc. It was absolutely flat out in third gear at 33mph and about 55mph in top. But on wet evenings it always seemed to run better. Smoother, more powerful (if you can apply that word to a car engine of 803cc). Water injection? More dense air? Later I put a BIG 950cc engine in it. POWER!!!!!!!! It would actually go up small hills in top gear.

The problem I seemed to be having yesterday was that there was so much lift around, the Lanzo Bomber just wanted to go up no matter where I flew it so I just had to push the elevator stick way forward and do some diving. Then of course it would pick up airspeed and if I released the down elevator it would zoom spectacularly. Fun anyway. Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
mike109

G'day Jim. Yes, I am finally starting to get the hang of this hobby. It has only taken about 50 years but I think I may at last be making small progress. The secret seems to be to do what I like doing and to ignore the advice from people who want me to go faster or to do things I just don't want to do. I have more or less decided that all my planes need to be able to fly themselves. I will just tell them where to go and then leave it up to the aircraft to do the rest. My Kadets Senior, Cubs and Old Timers can do that so I think I will just concentrate on them. They are the ones I can fly with a big smile on my face so that is what I am going to do. Cheers, Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
w8ye

G'day Jim. Yes, I am finally starting to get the hang of this hobby. It has only taken about 50 years but I think I may at last be making small progress. The secret seems to be to do what I like doing and to ignore the advice from people who want me to go faster or to do things I just don't want to do. I have more or less decided that all my planes need to be able to fly themselves. I will just tell them where to go and then leave it up to the aircraft to do the rest. My Kadets Senior, Cubs and Old Timers can do that so I think I will just concentrate on them. They are the ones I can fly with a big smile on my face so that is what I am going to do. Cheers, Mike
Mike, You seem to have a good plan. I've seen many others do this. Enjoy yourself
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
mike109

G'day

I have not owned a Saito 50 though I did build a Kadet Senior for a friend some years ago and I suggested a Saito 50 for it and it was perfect. It would haul the Kadet into the air in about half the width of the strip. My very similar Kadet has a 56 and its performance is very similar although a little better. I put a 72 into it briefly and it was dynamite but totally over the top.

I would put the 50 into the Chipmonk and you should get very scale performance so long as the model is not heavy. I also have an ASP 61. It really tears into the sky with a very old Goldberg Cub behind it. I would put it into the Extra though it may be a but under powered for it. I don't know that model though so my comment should be taken with that in mind. The ASP 61 is a very light engine for its size and power so if you don't need to add lots of weight to the front to get the CG in the right spot, it could be quite good. I am sure it will fly the model quite well though its vertical performance may be limited. Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
mike109

G'day OF. No, but I have taken it out of the box. It is very pretty but my wife said it was ugly. They really don't understand.

I have just been in the shed looking at putting it in my old Goldberg Cub but I have decided not to. Too many mods needed. So then I looked at putting it in my ARF Kadet Senior and I have started doing this. I will use the KS to run it in (after some bench running first) and get to know it before putting it into the new Cub once I get it built which knowing me will take a couple of months. Now I have to find a suitable colour scheme that is not Yellow. I have nothing against yellow, most of my planes have some yellow on them but I would like this one to be a bit different.

Photos are of the Lanzo Bomber with its Saito 62 and its little cousin the Heron Gas Buggy from an Airsail kit. If I manage to get the Buggy flying well, I am considering putting my Peter Burford BP 033 diesel in it. As it is, it flies easily on about 1/3 power and the PB 033 will swing its 6x3 prop at 11,300rpm and its 6 x 4 at 10,300. Should be an interesting experiment. Not a Saito, though I could put a Saito sticker on the model.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45396.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1140878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92885.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	1140879  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
w8ye

That bomber is nice, I bet it is a lot of fun.

There's a guy where I used to fly that has 3 models of the old time gas free flight variety. He sure seems to enjoy them

Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 PM
VeeAte

Thanks Mike109

I had an OS 46AX 2 stroke in the Ultimate, but I want a more scale sound for it. I do have a .70 OS Surpass, but that is a heavy beast for its size. It weighs as much and is as big as my ASP .91 FS in my Sea Fury!

I will do as you suggest. The .50 will go into the Super Chipmunk and the ASP 61 I will put in the Ultimate.
Unlimited vertical isnt mandatory. Would be nice, but I dont fly 3D etc so not necessary.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Ram Jet

I alomst bought a Morris Minor once. Cute little car sort of like a Mini. I suspect that an engine that changes personality with the barometric pressure and moisture content of the air is over carbureted. I had an Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce with Weber carbs once. On a hot day she was logy and soft on acceleration and on a cool damp day ran like the hammers of hell. I miss that car. I love the Italian car but very much dislike the quality of materials and workmanship. A Ferrari may be the exception.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Ram Jet

You are a man after my own (60 year old) heart. I think it would be positively a wonderful day of flying to have my Enya 1.55-4C in a large Tiger Moth or Nieuport 17 and just chug around the sky at 1/2 throttle. Fly inverted - naw, loops- naw. Just a sweet slow take off, lazy banking turns and a three point scale like landing. Sigh.

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
w8ye

I had noticed as a teenager that my car seemed to run better on a damp day.

When I started flying lessons, it wasn't long and the subject of density altitude and it's relationship with barometric pressure a humidity came along.

I had to learn a few new factors at that point in flying real planes

From my experience back then with the Lucas electric systems on the English cars, you were lucky if the engine ran at all.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: w8ye

From my experience back then with the Lucas electric systems on the English cars, you were lucky if the engine ran at all.

A book of all the Lucas jokes would be quite a volume!

jess
Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Ram Jet

THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. Beautiful aircraft.

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 AM
Ram Jet

We used to say (with respect to our Triumphs and Nortons) "Joseph Lucas - the inventor of darkness." The Morelli Italian electrics weren't any better.

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 AM
mike109

G'day Bill. I have a small Tiger Moth which now has a very early OS 40 FS in it. Until recently it had a Saito 30 which was fine but just a little under powered when it was windy. The OS is just nice with a little in reserve. I love to just float it around and play touch-and-goes. I built it as a sort of bi-plane trainer for me as I also have a Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel with a Saito 90R3 in it waiting for me to get brave. I have seen one fly and they do fly quite well but I just have to get the bravery up a bit further and the Tiger Moth has been good for that.

A friend has a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth painted up in British WWII markings and powered by a Laser 150. Now that is a very nice aeroplane/engine combination. Very gentle flying, quiet and looks amazing as it putters past low and slow. I am currently trying to convince him to bring it to our Dubbo Warbirds for Dummies Fun Fly in April. If he does, it will steal the show.

I've been playing with the new Saito 90TS today. It was going to start out in my old Goldberg Cub but that would have meant quite a bit of hacking and changing so I have screwed it to the front of my ARF Sig Kadet Senior and it really looks the part. I think I will ask Sig if I can buy a new cowl and keep the original one for a single cylinder engine. The twin will not be staying permanently in the Kadet, just getting some running while I build a new Cub for it. The original corrugated flexible exhausts don't look all that wonderful. I think I will try to get some other sort of exhaust for it. Any suggestings? Keleo do not list one for the 90TS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.