Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM
bill3388
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Thanks Jim for your answer on the cam timing. I will keep investigating. I appreciate all your, Hobbsy, and everybody else efforts on this forum.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Typically the LSN is below the surface of the plastic throttle arm when set correctly. Flush with the surface of the plastic throttle arm is the factory breakin setting
Thanks w8ye, it's back together without the cowl and when I run it tomorrow I'll look to screwing it in when setting the idle and see how it goes. I readjusted the valves a little. They were actually about .005
Dave
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The valves will be OK for now, Just set your needles
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM
kevinkenny

Kevin back again.
Well I took part of your advice aqnd went down to the local " expert" and he went through the same common sense procedure of checking the
carb and making sure there was fuel flowing into the cylinder. When that did not work he started dismantling the engine. When i asked how he would set up the timing I did not get a positive answer. Screws started dropping on the floor and fortunately one of the screws would not come out. I told him I would take it home and heat it up to get the stuck screw released.. To cut a long story short it was the timing that was off. It took me some time to figure it out but I got the engine to fire late this afternoon. I set the cam gear for the bump that pushes the exhaust valve at TDC i assume this is where it should be set. There is no one else here in Trinidad to check so if it should be set at any different setting. If I am wrong please let me know. The short story is that the engine has fired but it is not running very well. I will attempt to get it running smoothly tomorrow.

Kevin
Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: kevinkenny

I just purchased a Saito FA-91 four stroke on e bay but cannot get it to start. I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it up, Fuel is passing through all the venturies. Both tappets seem to be working . I have changed the glow plug and it does glow. The one strange thing is that there seems to be a back pressure on the intake port as well as some suction at different times of the stroke. I removed the carburetor and out my finger in the intake port. On one part of the stroke it was pushing against my finger and on another it was sucking it into the port. There is good back pressure on the exhaust port.

Kevin Kenny
Trinidad
The cam timing is to be set with the dimple mark on the cam gear straight down with the piston all the way to the top
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
kevinkenny

I just found the dimple and reset it. Can wait until tomorrow to hear it start. I was wondering . The pin that holds the piston had only 1 white plastic bushing. Will this be a problem if I run it like this. I did not notice it before and it is no where on the ground of my shop. It may have come off this morning and I will never be able to find it.
Kevin
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 PM
w8ye

You must have a white plastic pad on each end of the wrist pin (Gudgeon Pin), If not then the wrist pin end without the white pad will rub against the cylinder and ruin the cylinder
Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could kevin carefully shave and shape a piece of teflon off of a boat trailer roller to get him bye??
Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: av8djc

ORIGINAL: JWQ500RC

It maybe your lsn. On the stand it may have been set ok in the plane do to tank location it maybe set rich. A rich lsn will make these engines vibrate.
Ok thanks. The vibration seemed to be throughout the range. I'm going to put her back together, leave the cowl off, and play with it again. One thing I did while it was on the test stand just before I pulled it off is adjust the lsn inward to get the better idle. It ended up about flush with the top face of the plastic throttle arm. Appreciate the help.

Dave
Hi dave,as others say your lsn is to rich.Typically mine are about an eighth of an inch in from flush with the throttle arm face.No matter how well i had them running on the bench it can be a whole new thing putting your engine into your model.The model comes alive with the engine fitted and no matter how well you had it tuned it was bolted to a solid bench and even then you can rest your fingers on the valve covers and they tingle right?..your fingers imagine what the light airframe has to deal with.One reason most people don't bolt a brand spanking new engine straight on to their aeroplanes is because you must run them awfully rich initially,the bloody things vibrate like hell and i don't want my new aeroplane to go thru that.Cheers mate
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Daver, this is typically where the LS needles end up, none are any different that I've encountered, I have about 18 Saitos of my own and several people have sent them to me to sort out. It is always the LS needle that is the problem. One pic. is my 1.25 and the other is a new .56 GK.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42590.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1161776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46265.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1161777  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
av8djc

Old Fart, w8ye, and Hobbsy, thanks. My great running 100 has the LSN in that much. The (NIB) 91 came with it above the plastic arm a couple of turns so after a half hour or so of running I put it flush or just a tiny bit lower and it started running much better on the bench. So it needs to screw in more.

It begs the question of why it must be so idle rich for break-in and for how long duting the break-in process. I can only guess it's to give a lot of lubrication at extended idle times for cool down. The consequences then are a lot of vibration. It should run best right out of the box with the LSN final adjusted, that is , the way you end up after it is "broken in". Break in shouldn't effect the mixture settings for smooth running, you just want them rich for lubrication and cooling so that's what we have to do if you follow my thought process.

I've always thought it best to break in engines the way you will use them and also in the air on the plane as soon as they have proven reliable and can idle decently. I know in Full Size Planes we need to use a lot of power and get the combustion pressures up to seat the rings. That's why after a half hour on the bench I flew it but of course leaving it pretty rich on the HSN. It was interesting when I tore it apart how much oil there was inside. It was not lacking that's for sure. I'm using a home brew of 15% nitro, 15%Klotz and 4% castor. It had a pretty strong smoke trail in flight and I also made sure to not keep it full powered for long mixing it in with slow flight for cooling. It's back on the plane now so I'm hoping for a little less vibration and better idle after I adjust the LSN. Hope to try it today.

Dave
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
kevinkenny

Did exactly what you said. I had some teflon and put it on the Sherline lath and made a few. Just started the engine and wow it ran so beautifully. I have ordered a number of new parts which will take a few weeks to get her. In the mean time I will set up the plane.

Many thanks for all the help

Kevin
Old 03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Hobbsy

Daver, here is a program you can use to break in your engine in40 minutes.
10 minutes @ 4,000 rpm, throttle set at 1/4 or less
10 minutes @ 5,000 rpm
10 minutes @ 6,000 rpm followed by re-filling tank and setting LS needle
10 minutes @ 7,000 with several runs to full throttle 400 to 500 rpm below peak. The manual says you're done in 40 minutes although I usually finsh running the current tank.

Go fly.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 AM
mbrennan1

I own 6 Saito's, love them all!! The LSN is set a few turns below flush, except my 150. I bought it NIB a while back. I know the engine is at least 6 years old. I have around a gallon of Wildcat 15 2/4 run through it. The LSN is set around 1/8 above flush. If I turn it in any further, the HSN has no effect. If I set it flush, it will start, but will start getting hot very quickly. Should I be concerned about this?

Mike B
Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM
w8ye

The Saitos with the metal throttle arms - The LSN is typically flush when set correctly
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Patxipt

Guys, can I have my Club member number?

Ok, here goes:

2 FA-45 MKII
1 FA-45S (NIB)
1 FA-72 (NIB, to be fitted on a Cub)
1 FA-300T (NIB, in transit on the mail)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
av8djc

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Daver, here is a program you can use to break in your engine in40 minutes.
10 minutes @ 4,000 rpm, throttle set at 1/4 or less
10 minutes @ 5,000 rpm
10 minutes @ 6,000 rpm followed by re-filling tank and setting LS needle
10 minutes @ 7,000 with several runs to full throttle 400 to 500 rpm below peak. The manual says you're done in 40 minutes although I usually finsh running the current tank.

Go fly.

Well I wish I had seen this break in schedule earlier. I was going to write it down but then it's pretty easy to remember Maybe I'll fly it at full throttle a few flights and speed the process. I flew it once today after messing with the LSN a bit. Remember I have maybe 30 minutes on it (mostly bench) with me varying the throttle along the way. The flight went well and I'm still getting a little smoke trail but not nearly as much oil residue out from the muffler. I was playing with it after the flight messing with the idle trim and throttle cut-off setting and it seemed to be getting pretty warm at idle. (I have the rockers plus about 3/4" of cylinder outside the cowl) When the LSN was out a lot on the test stand it would actually cool down when idling supporting my idea that they keep it rich for cooling during break-in. I guess I'll set the LSN a bit richer for a few more flights.

What is the relationship of the LSN to mixture once above the idle range? If I'm a little lean on the LSN at idle but yet still taching 3-400 rpm below peak at full throttle it seems I'll not hurt the engine by flying it right?

Thanks all,
Dave
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
jmcmike
My Feedback: (45)

Hey guys, have a question on my saito 100. Im getting a lot of oil out of my vent tube,breather tube. It seems to be more than normal. My 82 and my 115 dont seem to do this. I have them all tuned well on the low and high.This motor will idle and transition to top end great,just has the blow by. runing on coolpower 25% thanks guys keep up the good work
Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Hobbsy

Daver, the LS needle controls the mixture over about 80% of the throttle range, that's why it has such a huge effect on the fuel economy or the lack of it. If it is set too lean it can render the HS needle ineffective, but being able to richen the HS needle down by 300 to 400 rpm you're good to go. Several people have gotten upset when using a Cline or IronBay regulator and discover they can't richen down more than about 200 rpm. No need for concern since you don't need to worry about the engine leaning as the tank level goes down. The Cline and IronBay are demand regulators and as such are not going to supply much more fuel than the engine needs/demands. Just an added thought.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Capt Lou

If it is getting too hot, then, the engine is not lubricated enough which is usually caused by the needle setting being too lean. If this persists for too long, the engine will generally stall. I would richen the setting and see how it flies. If it dead sticks, then, I would richen it further. I would error on the side of a too rich setting and, then, adjust to lean.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM
av8djc

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Daver, the LS needle controls the mixture over about 80% of the throttle range, that's why it has such a huge effect on the fuel economy or the lack of it. If it is set too lean it can render the HS needle ineffective, but being able to richen the HS needle down by 300 to 400 rpm you're good to go. Several people have gotten upset when using a Cline or IronBay regulator and discover they can't richen down more than about 200 rpm. No need for concern since you don't need to worry about the engine leaning as the tank level goes down. The Cline and IronBay are demand regulators and as such are not going to supply much more fuel than the engine needs/demands. Just an added thought.
Wow, that's a surprise, and good to know! I did notice the difference in the HSN richening less. Also explains the markedly less oil output compared to the factory settings. Now I feel I have the knowlege to keep from cooking this new engine. I'll probably richen the LSN a tiny bit and do some more fine tuning as I run the heck out of it for a while. Should get nothing but better as we go along.

I want to thank you all for the great forum and quick education. Any chance on getting a Club Saito membership?

Dave
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Rudolph Hart

This must be the first saito i've turned upside down and hav'nt had a problem with it thanks to this forum and you guys.Will be up soring around the wedgies tomorrow and a pix attached.Many thanks.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Carl Myers

Hey there! I am really new to this hobby, doing a ARF Pawnee build now, plan to use a Saito. I am commenting on the human interactions between R/C's with God's most beautiful creations.. eagles, hawks, falcons. I am an old fart too, and was raised in the high mountains of Colorado where eagles and hawks soar endlessly on thermals, then stoop at incredible speed to attack a prey animal, or, fight for territory in the sky. Now I live in Kansas where this is an abundance of beautiful redtail hawks. I used to fly an ultralight airplane and enjoyed being "up there" with the birds... until I had one that actually attacked the flimsly ultralight several times. I was encroaching on his domain, and clearly he let me know it... I bugged out, but it was a cool interation, if not a bit scary. Unforgetable experience. Beyond the enjoyment of flying gas/nitro rc's, I am also hoping to use an electric powered glinder to soar with these birds. ... perhaps play with them... and hope to not run afowl with regulations that prohibit "harrassing wildlife" in our country. Long term project idea is to flim these gorgeous birds up close with r/c aircraft. I wonder if anyone else has done that?

Have fun!

Carl
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Carl Myers

Hey there! I am really new to this hobby, doing a ARF Pawnee build now, plan to use a Saito. I am commenting on the human interactions between R/C's with God's most beautiful creations.. eagles, hawks, falcons. I am an old fart too, and was raised in the high mountains of Colorado where eagles and hawks soar endlessly on thermals, then stoop at incredible speed to attack a prey animal, or, fight for territory in the sky. Now I live in Kansas where this is an abundance of beautiful redtail hawks. I used to fly an ultralight airplane and enjoyed being "up there" with the birds... until I had one that actually attacked the flimsly ultralight several times. I was encroaching on his domain, and clearly he let me know it... I bugged out, but it was a cool interation, if not a bit scary. Unforgetable experience. Beyond the enjoyment of flying gas/nitro rc's, I am also hoping to use an electric powered glinder to soar with these birds. ... perhaps play with them... and hope to not run afowl with regulations that prohibit "harrassing wildlife" in our country. Long term project idea is to flim these gorgeous birds up close with r/c aircraft. I wonder if anyone else has done that?

Have fun!

Carl
Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone give me the bearing dimensions for a Saito 82? I would like to buy them locally, but can't find the sizes anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.