Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

would 2% castor work?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

I am getting ready to purchase a few cases of fuel..over the winter I ended up wit a few saitos..I usually ran 15% plane....should i run 15% heli fuel for the extra oil? the 2 strokes will run fine on either..
I really like Wildcat 15% Nitro Premium Xtra, which has an 80/20 mix of synthetic/castor oil at 18% of the total volume.

http://www.wildcatfuels.com/newsite/specs.html

Castor is a love/hate sort of thing. Most people either love it or hate it. Many NEVER use castor, and have no problems with the synthetics. Many have destroyeed engines where a little bit of castor oil in the mix might have saved it. To my mind, castor is insurance. I might never encouter a situation where I actually need it, but there is no downside to runningn with a small percentage of castor. LARGE amounts of castor oil will result in carbon deposits, but small quantities don't.

If I HAD to use an all synthetic fuel, I would add a little castor for insurance. This is MY OPINION, and you may take it or leave it as you wish. I don't want to start another castor war....
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its better than none
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: jdkxtreme

would 2% castor work?
I'd add 3 or 4 oz. of castor per gallon of fuel with nothing but synthetic oil in it.

Use this site to figure out what the total oil content will change to when adding oil.

http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?...rc.com/fuelws/
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

If the quality and consistency of Wildcat fuels isn't enough, the quality of the OWNER of this company encourages ME to remain a loyal customer of Wildcat.

The following is copied from the website, on this page:

http://www.wildcatfuels.com/newsite/about_us.html

Commitment and Company Philosophy
Thank you for choosing Wildcat Fuels. We are confident that Wildcat will be the obvious choice for you and your model fuel needs. We promise to always honor our commitment to disclosure of our products contents including Nitromethane, Oil content, Oil composition, and Percent volumes; because you have the right to know what your putting in your engine! We promise to always strive to produce products of uncompromising performance and quality.Our people are dedicated to delivering products that consistently exceed our customers' expectations and we are proud to be part of a team in which earning our customers' loyalty is our #1 priority. We at Wildcat will always strive to do our best to honor God, serve our customers, and help you to have fun. Quality is our commitment not our slogan. In a day where the truth is determined by the quantity and quality of spin, we will strive to present the truth in a straight forward and reliable manner.

Our company philosophy is simple, "Serve God with a smile, love people......they're his kids, and have fun doing time on planet earth". I hope we can help with either one.
In this day and age, honesty and integrity is a rare commodity. So much so, we tend to become suspicious when we encounter it! I believe Jerry Conley is the real deal....
Hello ken and jerry conley probably is an honest down to earth business man who sells great fuel over there..don't know about the God angle in the marketing side of things tho,we here in aussie look at that from a more heathen point of view,well most of us anyway.I'm lazy and run a little castor because i don't and can't be bothered with aro.If what some say is correct and you use your engine at least once a month i'll risk it and maybe have to get used to changing up to better bearings.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

I really like the idea of clearly labeling the ingredients AND in % of volume, not weight. I started mixing my own again mostly because it's cheaper but also at the hobby shops it's rare to see the ingredients on the cans and the sales people can't tell you. So you have to go to the mfg website. Hassle. I mix 15% nitro, 15% Klotz, 5% Castor for now while breaking in the 91GK.

Back to my NIB 91GK that I have in the Hog Bipe. I now have about a gallon of fuel through it and a couple of flights. I spent yesterday tweaking the needles again to get the best compromise for idle. It still doesn't idle like my well broken in 100. Also, on the same fuel the 100 hardly smokes at all while the 91 is pretty visible. I'm guessing that is because it is not yet broken in and in time I'll be able to turn the LSN in a bit more, re-adjust the HSN and get it leaned out a bit more and the smoke will decrease. Right????? I know it's getting plenty of oil as it's pretty messy at this point. (If I go farther in with the LSN it just won't idle) So how long does it take to get these things to break in?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 AM
w8ye

They seem to vary on break in
Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
mbrennan1

Where can I find castor oil? Is it the same stuff at my local drug store?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
w8ye

Yes but it is generally cheaper to buy the model airplane stuff at the hobby shop or from Tower or Sig
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yes mate it's a bit like mixing expensive paint when you mix your own fuel,trust me this is cheaper.A good paint chemist will assign a specific gravity value for the materials you are using so you can accurately measure what you are doing,the old displacement values are shifty and sorry for the side-track you were talking about being impatient with the running in process on your engine.My 30 has nearly 4ltrs thru it and the little bugger still won't give me what i want which is a reliable idle at touchdown,i'm big and ugly enough to carry it back
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been a satisfied WildCat user since 1992 and the longer I use it the more satisfied I get, I have never replaced a bearing in a Saito or Enya while using it.

OF, I ran several of my Saitos on 5% nitro about a year ago, the only one that did not do well on 5% was the little .30. I had to idle it at about 2,800 to keep it happy. The .30 ran fine above that speed. All the rest ran fine on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
deadpedal

I finally got my Saito powered Sig Somethin' Extra kit build finished. Lots of mods including custom cowl, landing gear, extended rudder, graphics. She should get a maiden this weekend. Thanks for the advice I got earlier from you guys! She's spinning that 14 x 4 prop at 10,000 rpms (Saito 62a).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68197.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1175029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21658.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1175030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22310.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1175031  
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
bill3388
My Feedback: (18)

Hobbsy,

I agree with you on the Wildcat fuel. I tried other brands, but was never totally satisfied and had problems. Since I started using Wildcat, I have been completely satisfied. One less thing to be concerned about. My Saitos just seem to run so well on Wildcat.

Bill
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Hobbsy

Yep, good stuff, I keep about 4 blends of WildCat here, 5%/18% syn/castor blend for two strokes, 10%/16% syn/castor blend for RCV, 15%/18% syn/castor blend for Saito and 15% 2/4 18% all synthetic just trying it out.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Yep, good stuff, I keep about 4 blends of WildCat here, 5%/18% syn/castor blend for two strokes, 10%/16% syn/castor blend for RCV, 15%/18% syn/castor blend for Saito and 15% 2/4 18% all synthetic just trying it out.

Hobbsy, you're drinkin' too much. Remember, as your son said, "If it don't suck, squeeze, bang and blow it doesn't belong on an airplane. Or anything else for that matter."

Bill
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

I've got some bragging to do, if I may [&:] - I flew my 72 for the first time today since replacing that broken rocker arm that several of the guys in here helped me to get through. It ran like a charm!

I had it on the plane a few weeks back and ground ran it for a few tanks - ticking over at about 1900 RPM and transitioning beautifully.

In flight it sounded sooooo sweet today! It was a neat feeling having it work so nicely after having done the work myself, without ever having done more than put fuel into an engine! [8D] In addition to replacing the rocker arms, I replaced the tappets, gapped the valves, and reset the low and high speed needles.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped with tips earlier in the thread. w8ye especially, who has been helpful in a couple of other instances. You guys are super.

Oh - on the subject of fuel, I'm more and more a fan of PowerMaster. All of the stuff I've done with this little engine has been with PowerMaster 15% Nitro, 18% blend for lubrication.

It's also a gallon of fuel that sat in my garage for about 2 1/2 years. I figured I'd give it a try before tossing it and surprisingly it has delivered very satisfactory results.

I guess there's something to be said for that metal can that keeps sunlight from the fuel. Whatever it is, PowerMaster has me hooked.

BobbyG
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
w8ye

Sunlight is your enemy when it comes to storing fuel.

I don't know what the sun does to the fuel chemically but long term exposure to the sun makes fuel downright aggravating.

I have a square metal gallon can on the end of my flight box. My stash of fuel in plastic jugs is kept sealed up in the dark on a concrete floor.

Power Master is one of the more popular fuels in the USA. -good stuff
Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Hobbsy

Bobby, you're right about the PM, I used 6 gallons of it last summer that I found for $58.00. Being a creature of habit I stick with the WC but the PM was every bit its equal.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM
jdkxtreme

How do you guys display or store the saitos you are not running? I just have mine kinda sitting on my table..Just wondering if anyone hada stand they could mount them all on..
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Hobbsy, you're drinkin' too much. Remember, as your son said, "If it don't suck, squeeze, bang and blow it doesn't belong on an airplane. Or anything else for that matter."

Bill
Yes he is rj,is there a cougar on that label?

On ya bg,fuel contains a lot more unrefined chemicals re uv,w8 is right.Most of the guys at our field leave their fuel out all day in clear plastic containers,we get good sunlight here always..tuning problems re 4strokes and 2 come up all the time.They swap fuel and away they go.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Hobbsy

JD, having 19 Saitos and not that many planes I keep the currently unused ones in their original boxes treated with Corrosion X. I also make sure they are on their compression stroke so the valves are not open. I keep the TurboHeader or stock exhaust as the case may be in the same box but not installed on the engine.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM
nextofkin
My Feedback: (8)

I have a .72 - .82 - 1.20 - and a 1.25 having trouble with the 1.20 geting to idle thought that some of you might have some idea
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
w8ye

The 120 will idle better with a heavy prop like a 16-6 or at least a 15-8
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

JD, having 19 Saitos and not that many planes I keep the currently unused ones in their original boxes treated with Corrosion X. I also make sure they are on their compression stroke so the valves are open. I keep the TurboHeader or stock exhaust as the case may be in the same box but not installed on the engine.
The valves are open on the compression stroke?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
jdkxtreme

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

JD, having 19 Saitos and not that many planes I keep the currently unused ones in their original boxes treated with Corrosion X. I also make sure they are on their compression stroke so the valves are open. I keep the TurboHeader or stock exhaust as the case may be in the same box but not installed on the engine.
The valves are open on the compression stroke?

I did not want to be the one to point that out.lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.