Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
rcbiplane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hobbsy, Thanks for offering to send a torx chart, it's a good place to start. Right now I have the crankcase full of MEK in hopes that it will free up the gunk holding the backplate on. Im I wrong in thinking the plate should simply slide off. I think i might have to dig into the old forums to get up to speed. Wish there were a rebuilding Saitos for dummys book. Thanks Geo.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 AM
jmcmike
My Feedback: (45)

Thanks guys, syn-caster blend it is for our saitos! cheers
Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried a 115 in a 68" decathlon yet.I'd like to fly one at less throttle because the engine sounds good at low throttle.I'm adding some flying wires to the tailgroup just in case and have had a carefull look at the leading edge wing mount.Be nice to slowly roll one over slowly at low level and have an escape bit of grunt in reserve.It will balance ok with the battery pack down the back.Would appreciate any feed back from people doing similar things,i hate underpowered fourstroke models except scale.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM
VeeAte

Well after being concerned that my FA-50 would not power my 42" span Ultimate very well I was shocked to find out it does.

Took the Ultimate out for its remaiden after some damage on a takeoff when I had the 2 stroke in it and it performed perfectly. Nothing beats the sound of a Saito I reckon.

While it doesnt have what I would call unlimited vertical it will still climb vertical quite well.
The prop may have more to do with that than anything.
Running an APC 11x6. Most likely be better with a 12x5. or similar.

Would this engine work with a 12x4 or not enough pitch?
Otherwise I have a 12x6 or a 13x4.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I liked the 12-5 but have run a 12-6 on them.

I'm not familiar with your plane but I fly a Hanger nine Ultra Stick all the time with a Saito 56 and a 13-4 prop. It will hover and has plenty of speed.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
jdkxtreme

Well The weather here is going to be nice today. Going to get the twist wwith saito 82 back out. It has maybe a gallon thru it on the ground and one tank in the air. It stumbles real bad as soon as it leaves the ground.. Any ideas?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcbiplane

Hobbsy, Thanks for offering to send a torx chart, it's a good place to start. Right now I have the crankcase full of MEK in hopes that it will free up the gunk holding the backplate on. Im I wrong in thinking the plate should simply slide off. I think i might have to dig into the old forums to get up to speed. Wish there were a rebuilding Saitos for dummys book. Thanks Geo.

While it isn't a book, I found this article to be very helpful when I was working on a 72.

Hope I'm not offering something too basic for you. When I started on my little project I'd never seen the innards of a four stroke. I finished and that little sucker purrs! [&:]

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/4stroke_howto.shtml

BobbyG
Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 AM
VeeAte

Thanks w8ye.

I will give those props a go and see what I can come up with.

I am guessing that the Saito crankshafts are metric? My prop reamer is imperial and doesnt have the correct size.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 AM
w8ye

yes they are metric 7 X 1 mm
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
VeeAte

Thanks w8ye.

Better get me some metric drill bits and a reamer.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all! I did a search but maybe you can help. Are there any guidelines or areas to inspect closely on a Saito 72 after a small crash? I have it in my bi-plane and on landing I bounced it too much and was attempting to go-around and try again but too much throttle quickly flipped it over on its back and down for the count. It was a slow speed impact.

There is no obvious damage to the engine. It did snap the evolution 13x6 prop (half the blade missing) and broke the plastic engine mount from the base. Damaged the cowl mounts, and of course some wing abrasions. After untangling it back at the garage, I removed the glow plug and turned the engine over slowly. It all seems ok. Any thoughts or precautions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to these 4 strokes and love the Saitos.

-J
Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
davidgeorge212

hi,
are there any companies around that make a pitts style muffler for an inverted saito 56? I need some kind of exaust that comes out the bottom on a round cowl plane.

david
Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
w8ye

War Eagle Dave

You could mount the Saito at an inverted angle to place the exhaust at the cent bottom of the cowl
Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

hi,
are there any companies around that make a pitts style muffler for an inverted saito 56? I need some kind of exaust that comes out the bottom on a round cowl plane.

david
Try Keleo Creations. They make lots of different styles and may make it custom... just ask.

www.keleo-creations.com

Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
davidgeorge212

I looked at the keleo website and unfortunately they dont have one. I think the smallest pitts style muffler they make is for a .70 size four stroke. I did ask him though if he has ever made one for the .56 but I dont think he does.

david
Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

hi,

david
Won't a Turboheader work?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
mike early

What temperature is considered normal for a properly tuned Saito running WOT? What temperature is considered too hot?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
w8ye

Anything above 300 on the head close to where the exhaust attaches is too hot
Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
mike early

Thanks! I will start taking my IR gun to the field.

How often do you long-term Saito owners clean the carbon off the exhaust valves?
I read earlier in this thread about cleaning techniques. I wonder how effective those ultrasonic-cleaners are..?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
w8ye

Never unless I'm pulling the valves for some other reason
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 AM
terryscustom

I have built a 1/4 scale gee-bee with a saito FG-36 that has been bench run for break-in. All components in the airplane are new. I have a Spektrum DX7 with an AR7000 Rx. I am using All Hi-Tec 645MG servos and one Standard JR BB servo on throttle. Battery pack is a JR 6volt and it reads 6.2volts at the time of these tests. Ignition battery is JR 4.8 pack and it reads 5.2volts at time of test. The closest thing to the Ignition is the throttle servo which is 12" away. My throttle control rod is plastic and is run through a plastic sleeve.

The problem is that even when I turn the engine over with the ignition on, all of the servos "twitch". I first noticed this when the engine was running for the first time in the plane. Then I observed it while just turning the engine over with the electric starter.

I have tried the following to no avail:

1 - Replaced AR7000 Rx with a brand new unit, same model purchased today
2 - I put an extension on the satellite Rx to move it to the rear of the airplane
4 - I moved the flight battery and pack and switch back and even tried it with them outside of the airplane as far from ignition as possible.....approximately 24" away.
5- I replaced the spark plug
6 - Double checked all electrical connections
7 - Replaced the one Y harness in the plane (there are no amplified y's or extensions and no electronic servo reversing units on this plane).
8 - unplugged all of the servos and tried it with one old cheap Futaba servo with plastic gears and no metal bearings.
9 - trued pulling the ignition unit out of the plane to try to get it even further from any of the radio equipment.
10 - made sure that Rx was not subject to vibration and even had my wife hold it while I turned the engine over.

None of this as worked. All servos and all channels still twitch and shutter when I turn the plane over with the ignition on, or start the engine.

I would really appreciate any assistance I can get. I really like this sweet engine and hope I can use it!!!

Thanks, Terry
Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I have one question for you.

Has the model remained in the exact same place during all of your tests? Or have you moved the plane from one location to another, such as at home, at the field, on the table at the field, off the table at the field, etc?

If the model has remained in the same spot, then we know what to do. Move it.

If the model has been in many different locations with huge variations in the background metal clutter and it still won't work properly, then it is time for you to get on the phone with the factory folk, or maybe return the nucleus of the system to the distributors for an evaluation. This has got to be very, very frustrating.

One other thing.

If, by some chance, that you are running a WiFi network in your home, or someone else is using the microwave during your interference times, you have found a possible interference problem.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-26-2009, 04:37 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Try a different ignition module. That's about the only variable you haven't changed.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: mike early

Thanks! I will start taking my IR gun to the field.

How often do you long-term Saito owners clean the carbon off the exhaust valves?
I read earlier in this thread about cleaning techniques. I wonder how effective those ultrasonic-cleaners are..?
You can hear them when they get hot,a notable pinch.

Ultrs sonic cleaners remind me of chem-dry carpet cleaning in your house,they don't work
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Slats!
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Can someone direct me to Hobbsy tuning guide, cant find it in all the posts. Thanks Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.