Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
terryscustom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

The twitching problem happened at our club field, in my back-yard and last night in the garage......so everywhere I have tried it. I E-mailed Horizon service so I hope they will send me a new ignition to try.

T.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
jdkxtreme

I have better luck calling them. Seems to take a few days for a return call. But only a few minutes to answer the phone
Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hey I am in! I got rid of the wife and now I have a 100 and a 150! Still a saito rookie but what the heck wife has only been gone a week!

Have a great day! I know i'm going too!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slats,

Found Hobby's breakin procedure

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Actually, you can eliminate all the frustration by doing this,
10 minutes at 4,000 rpm at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle,
10 minutes at 5,000 rpm,
10 minutes at 6,000 rpm
10 minutes at 7,000 rpm

Shut down and refill tank,
Re-start, warm up, set HS needle at absolute peak,
Lean LS needle in 1/8th turn increments reducing throttle opening as engine idles faster from improved fuel mixture,
Check idle and transition after every other LS needle change, when you reach best idle and transition reduce peak rpm by 300 rpm rich. This will have taken up 40 to 50 minutes, go fly, your needle settings will change very little if at all from these settings.

The initial 10 minutes at 4,000 is for 10 minutes max, beyond that you are running the engine too slow and too cold to do any breaking in.
Using this regimen any Saito will hold compression like an ABC engine.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Coloradobanjo
My Feedback: (3)

I bought a well-worn FA-50 Golden Knight, and it has sort of low compression. Still, it puts out adequate power for my girlfriend's trainer. Trouble is, it won't idle reliably or even run all that slowly without stalling. I love to tinker, but hate waste money. Should I rebuild it? If so, what all should I plan to replace?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: RotorWing Nut

Hi all! I did a search but maybe you can help. Are there any guidelines or areas to inspect closely on a Saito 72 after a small crash? I have it in my bi-plane and on landing I bounced it too much and was attempting to go-around and try again but too much throttle quickly flipped it over on its back and down for the count. It was a slow speed impact.

There is no obvious damage to the engine. It did snap the evolution 13x6 prop (half the blade missing) and broke the plastic engine mount from the base. Damaged the cowl mounts, and of course some wing abrasions. After untangling it back at the garage, I removed the glow plug and turned the engine over slowly. It all seems ok. Any thoughts or precautions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to these 4 strokes and love the Saitos.

-J
In this case, I would just start it back up and listen closely to how it runs. You probably didn't damage anything, but let us know what you find out.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Coloradobanjo

I bought a well-worn FA-50 Golden Knight, and it has sort of low compression. Still, it puts out adequate power for my girlfriend's trainer. Trouble is, it won't idle reliably or even run all that slowly without stalling. I love to tinker, but hate waste money. Should I rebuild it? If so, what all should I plan to replace?
You could put a new Frank Bowman ring in it

Frank Bowman

1211 N Allen Ave. Farmington, N.M. 87401-3568

505-327-0696 Email: [email protected]

Reproduction Model Engine Rings

Quality at a fair honest price. Making a good ring is a Skill. Making a fine ring is an Art!

Last Revised 1-6-09

I will reproduce nearly any model engine ring. If not available, I’ll need a good piston and cylinder to measure, or send motor. Send return postage, insurance is extra. For orders outside of USA, ask for shipping costs? Priority postage is extra. An order of 10 rings or more, discount of $1.00 off per ring, mixed orders are fine! Ring cost & shipping charges for USA listed below.

Standard ring up to .65 engines: $9.00 ea.(1) shipped $13.00
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Slats!

I have been reading through the board and want to break in my engines right (saito 82 & 1.00). It seems that as long as the fuel is a 18-20 percent castor blend it is good, out of the following what would be the best choice.

Omega (pink)
Green death (so they say)
or power master.

Thinking 15% nitro I want to consistently use the same fuel. Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

forget the green death unless you want to add some castor oil to it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Of course, the alleged Green Death (also known as Cool Power/Cruel Power) is basically the same fuel as Morgan's Omega but with just a few ounces of castor oil in place of some of the synthetic.

The fuel known as Cool Power worked well in all of my engines that were bushing equipped (upper and lower ends of the connecting rod). A few of my not so well built engines egged out their connecting rods when using Cool Power and Red Max with all synthetic oil. I run my engines hard, so not everyone will experience the same type of accelerated wear as I. I still consider Cool Power to be an excellent fuel and I do not hesitate to use it when circumstances make it the fuel of choice. Just make ding-dang sure that your high speed needle is several hundred rpm on the rich side of peak AT THE END OF THE FLIGHT.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM
hairy46

Hey, wife still gone looking at a saito 82 for a hangar nine sopwith camel they are 60 size, looking to make it fly close to scale but do have to power up for 7500 feet is this the Saito I want? Thanks for any help! Bob

Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 AM
NM2K

If you were at seal level, I would be confident in recommending the .82. They are terrific engines. Since you are at 7.5k feet, and I have no experience flying models at that altitude, were I you, I would be considering a Saito 1.00 or 1.15 (probably the latter). You can always keep the pitch down and increase the diameter of the prop to keep that much power under control, in addition to not using full throttle, of course. Being a biplane, it might very well need the extra weight for balancing the model anyway. If you get a chance to watch some old film stock of just how powered up some of those WWI biplanes were, keep an eye open on the History Channel. They showed film stock of a French biplane fighter that rolled all of 100' or less at took off at an astounding angle from the Earth. My point being that scale power for these models appears to be oriented toward something similar to today's 3D models. At least during the takeoff phase.

I'm not familiar with your model, but it sounds to be a lot like some of the older VK models and other manufacturers' kits. Please be sure to tell us what you decided to do and how it worked out with ongoing reports.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-28-2009, 06:18 AM
RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: terryscustom

The twitching problem happened at our club field, in my back-yard and last night in the garage......so everywhere I have tried it. I E-mailed Horizon service so I hope they will send me a new ignition to try.

T.
Does the system have a resistor plug or resistor spark lead? It should have one or the other. Also, is the spark lead shielded? If not, get some of the woven metal shielding for the lead and ground it at one end only. Make sure it covers the whole length of the lead. What you are getting is AM spike interference. It doesn't matter what kind of receiver you are using as any will be susceptible to this kind of interference.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Up, have the piston at tdc, the timing dot on the cam straight down
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29016.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1188373  
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
VeeAte

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

Saito engine bearing part numbers and manufacturer equivalents

Hello fellow Saito nuts! It's been awhile.

I have a question please.......

I am tgrying to source some ceramic bearings here in Oz (harder than you think) for my crashed 82a. The bearing people tell me that they don't normally hold stocks as there is not a lot of demand. Now, I have a large stable of Saito children that I love dearly and will eventually have to perform the same surgery on to prolong their little lives. This got me to thinking and wondering if any of my Saito Club friends have put together a cross reference chart of Saito Part Number - Manufacturer Steel Part Number - Manufacturer Ceramic Bearing Part Number equivalents for each of the Saito models out there? You know, like that wonderful little Saito manual does for sapre engine parts - "Small-Medium Single Cylinder 4-Stroke Engine Instruction Manual Version 2005" that has all part numbers for all engine models listed.

Anyone help me?

Here is another site which may help
http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/c.../engine+parts/

Huge listing of bearings etc.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
chashint

ORIGINAL: hairy46
Hey, wife still gone looking at a saito 82 for a hangar nine sopwith camel they are 60 size, looking to make it fly close to scale but do have to power up for 7500 feet is this the Saito I want? Thanks for any help! Bob
People have used a wide range of engines on this plane.
I have seen all up weight posted between 8.2 lbs and 9.6 lbs.
The 82 should fly it fine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...2Ccamel/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=810

Text added here .........
Initially I thought the 82 was on the low end of the power range and then I reviewed the build thread and the review and changed my mind .......... after reading Ed's post referring to your altitude I am back to thinking the 82 may struggle.
To me an underpowered airplane is no fun at all.
There is the "flys it scale" arguument, but that is not how I want to fly model airplanes.
If I want to slow down I pull the left stick back.
The 100 and the 115 is quite a bit stronger than the 82 and at your altitude would probably be better.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Coloradobanjo

An update on the old Saito 50 rebuild question. I have moved this thread to its own area:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8716939/tm.htm

Thanks to all.

Chris
Coloradobanjo
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: VeeAte

I am tgrying to source some ceramic bearings here in Oz (harder than you think) for my crashed 82a. The bearing people tell me that they don't normally hold stocks as there is not a lot of demand. Now, I have a large stable of Saito children that I love dearly and will eventually have to perform the same surgery on to prolong their little lives. This got me to thinking and wondering if any of my Saito Club friends have put together a cross reference chart of Saito Part Number - Manufacturer Steel Part Number - Manufacturer Ceramic Bearing Part Number equivalents for each of the Saito models out there? You know, like that wonderful little Saito manual does for sapre engine parts - "Small-Medium Single Cylinder 4-Stroke Engine Instruction Manual Version 2005" that has all part numbers for all engine models listed.

Anyone help me?

I have most of the popular Saitos listed as well as very reasonable shipping to Oz.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
hairy46

Thank you! I will be looking into a 100 or 115 saito! this is my first bi-plane so was not sure how to power it, I know up here any 40 sized plane has to have a 46 or even better 55 to get the power that you down in lower get out of a 40. But the Saito and bi-plane are new so I am learning and do thank you all for the help! Bob

Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: RC-Bearings

ORIGINAL: VeeAte

Anyone help me?

I have most of the popular Saitos listed as well as very reasonable shipping to Oz.
Very many thanks to all. I have added these bookmarks to my "suppliers" list (and already placed an order). As my Saito stable ages, I shall be in touch. [8D]
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
tailspin temple
My Feedback: (28)

HI Bill Two questions How can i stop the flex pipe from braaking off right at the head and why o.s.not have a pressure tap? Thanks BOB
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Anyone have an old FA-65 or parts layin around? I need a muffler and/or muffler manifold.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ryan, I think I do, it may not be very pretty but won't be bent up or damaged in any way. Or, check out the above mentioned TurboHeader. It will give you a couple hundred extra rpm.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: tailspin temple

HI Bill Two questions How can i stop the flex pipe from braaking off right at the head and why o.s.not have a pressure tap? Thanks BOB

Are you running a soft engine mount? If so, change that out to a solid engine mount.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
dirtrod

Hey guys,

I just wanted to tell every one that i put a picture of the E-flite cub with the saito .30 GK on it in the
photo gallery. Im not sure how to put it in the forum. The little cub flys just as good as it looks. The cub
is also float ready.

Happy flying to everyone,
Ty[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.