Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
spudandcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

It's the silver one , here's a snap of the fuse.

seeyas spud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69439.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1285119  
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to report a great weekend. The Saito 150 in my Waco ran perfectly. I had to lean everything down with the pressure tap and muffler on it instead of the straight pipe, too much flow at first, too much gurgle. Heck of a smoke trail! I've still got some tuning to do on it, I haven't got the idle mixture right yet, it dies when I pull all the way back unless the idle is higher. Which is no problem, as a Waco needs power on approach until it's down to about 6 inches off the ground! I dead-sticked twice, and the first time I had the motor running all the way onto the ground it rolled along so pretty, and then because I had the elevator on low rates and couldn't lower the tail wheel from flying it hit a little bump and it nosed over and stopped the prop anyway!

Sunday was much better, made some changes to the plane and rates, etc. That 1/5th-scale Pica Waco and that Saito 150 are an absolute perfect match. More power than scale requires, enough to get out of trouble but a realistic vertical and then drop-off. Old Bipes look extra-cool falling back over or tailsliding through their own smoke.

I've got video of 3 flights. And I haven't a CLUE about how to upload these onto YouTube... Where do I start? Pretty exciting!

Jimbo
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Great looking Tigermoth spud. Sounds like you've got a good setup with the 1.00
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Rudolph Hart

I'll second gageebees mate,yellow stripes over the wings as well?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:00 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Hi All. I have a Saito 82 in a Segull 46 size Decathlon. I maidened it today and all went well Saito ran like a watch, but I have a question. I have a 14X5 on the 82 now and it turns about 8800 RPM at WOT. Is this about right or should it turn up more?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
rccardude04

Hi guys, have been playing with Saitos for a while now (only own 2 but have fondled many more LOL)...

Anyway, I have a Saito 82 in a World Models 1/5 cub, which is swinging a 14x6 Master Airscrew K-Series prop. I had the engine running well on the stock muffler and muffler pressure. It's also been running very well in a Hangar 9 Twist 40 that I cannibalized for this Cub.

I've decided to run an open header (tried a cooling header but it failed like all of them do apparently), and will not have any muffler pressure, so I pulled out my old VP30 pump that I failed at using on my Evolution 52 about 2 years ago.

The pump appears to be pumping really well after it ran the goo out of it.

Before I installed the pump, the engine ran fine. Idled okay, transitioned well, top end was tuned as I always have. I put the pump on and the engine didn't really richen much on top end, although it may have slightly but I didn't really notice much (I know I'm bad, my tach is dead so I didn't get real readings).

Here's the weird part. I had to lean the bottom end needle quite a lot, and the engine now transitions really well. Idle to WOT is snappy like it has always been. 1/2 throttle runs smooth, 3/4 throttle runs smooth, slightly above idle is smooth also. However, if I throw it around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, it LOADS UP LIKE CRAZY. Smoke POURS out, oil runs down out of the header onto the driveway, and if I try to transition to WOT, it will die. Honestly, I couldn't tell you if it is lean or rich, but I would guess it goes lean. As the engine nears stalling, if the throttle is left wide open, it will catch just above idle and go to full speed with seemingly no problem.

I am running Byron's "rotor rage" 30% nitro/23% oil, and have approximately 1.5" between tee and vent, with about 5" between tee and atmosphere, with a little nipple on the end for convenience (and hopefully enough pressure to make the thing pump enough fuel at WOT).

Any thoughts? I read through blw's "Saito Notes" but couldn't find my specific issue. ANY help is appreciated. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't pull the pump off, put the muffler back on, then re-tune without the extra nipple on the end but I'd like to hear from some pros first.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric
Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
quickdraw

I have a Saito 100 I just got. Only have 1 3/4 gallons through it now. I have to idle around 2,700-2,800 rpm to keep it going. I have seen some guys that say they idle a little lower than this. Is it because it is still new and maybe a little tight? If I leave the driver hooked to it I can go down to 2,000 rpm and boy does it sound sweet than. A customer told me to look into the driver from MPI Products and that it makes it nice. It gets tricky sometimes trying to sit to taxi out for take off if someone is coming in. I have it mounted on a U CAN DO .60. Was flying with a .60 OS before and thought try something different. Currently using a 15 X 8 APC prop on it. Had a 15 X 8 M.A. K series on it only because only thing was avail when the motor came. Tried to run a 16 X 4w on it , but think it is still too soon and motor net broke in yet, I have seen guys are using the 16 X 4w on them so I figured just new still is all. It was neat because the earlier model OS I had weighed what my Saito did and bolted into the same mounting holes. I figured I do not need the hi reving buzz of a 2 stroke when I actually need the torque a four stroke has. First time I flew it I was amazed. I will never go back to a 2 stroke now. It was neat seeing me go like 12 feet on take off and than pull straight up and and punch it and have it pull like a rocket.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 125 running a 17 X 4W in a UCD-60

Idles very low
Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rccardude04

Hi guys, have been playing with Saitos for a while now (only own 2 but have fondled many more LOL)...

Anyway, I have a Saito 82 in a World Models 1/5 cub, which is swinging a 14x6 Master Airscrew K-Series prop. I had the engine running well on the stock muffler and muffler pressure. It's also been running very well in a Hangar 9 Twist 40 that I cannibalized for this Cub.

I've decided to run an open header (tried a cooling header but it failed like all of them do apparently), and will not have any muffler pressure, so I pulled out my old VP30 pump that I failed at using on my Evolution 52 about 2 years ago.

Before I installed the pump, the engine ran fine. Idled okay, transitioned well, top end was tuned as I always have. I put the pump on and the engine didn't really richen much on top end, although it may have slightly but I didn't really notice much (I know I'm bad, my tach is dead so I didn't get real readings).

Here's the weird part. I had to lean the bottom end needle quite a lot, and the engine now transitions really well. Idle to WOT is snappy like it has always been. 1/2 throttle runs smooth, 3/4 throttle runs smooth, slightly above idle is smooth also. However, if I throw it around 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, it LOADS UP LIKE CRAZY. Smoke POURS out, oil runs down out of the header onto the driveway, and if I try to transition to WOT, it will die. Honestly, I couldn't tell you if it is lean or rich, but I would guess it goes lean. As the engine nears stalling, if the throttle is left wide open, it will catch just above idle and go to full speed with seemingly no problem.

I am running Byron's ''rotor rage'' 30% nitro/23% oil, and have approximately 1.5'' between tee and vent, with about 5'' between tee and atmosphere, with a little nipple on the end for convenience (and hopefully enough pressure to make the thing pump enough fuel at WOT).

Any thoughts? I read through blw's ''Saito Notes'' but couldn't find my specific issue. ANY help is appreciated. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't pull the pump off, put the muffler back on, then re-tune without the extra nipple on the end but I'd like to hear from some pros first.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric
I never run pumps on my Saitos. I find muffler pressure to be sufficient if the low and high are adjusted properly. I will say that since I installed Turbo Headers on my 100s to replace the stock mufflers, I am sold. Pressure is better, throttle response is better, at least 200 more RPMs, and they are using less fuel. Here they are in high speed passes to compare. First is with stock mufflers, and then with the Turbo Headers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hd6bLMXHPs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTM46P1ilJY
Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Quickdraw,

I'm going to guess you have it inverted or lying over on its side or at the 8 O'Clock position, right? If that's the case, then yes, you'll want to use glow at low end.

Jimbo
-

ORIGINAL: quickdraw

I have a Saito 100 I just got. Only have 1 3/4 gallons through it now. I have to idle around 2,700-2,800 rpm to keep it going. I have seen some guys that say they idle a little lower than this. Is it because it is still new and maybe a little tight? If I leave the driver hooked to it I can go down to 2,000 rpm and boy does it sound sweet than. A customer told me to look into the driver from MPI Products and that it makes it nice. It gets tricky sometimes trying to sit to taxi out for take off if someone is coming in. I have it mounted on a U CAN DO .60. Was flying with a .60 OS before and thought try something different. Currently using a 15 X 8 APC prop on it. Had a 15 X 8 M.A. K series on it only because only thing was avail when the motor came. Tried to run a 16 X 4w on it , but think it is still too soon and motor net broke in yet, I have seen guys are using the 16 X 4w on them so I figured just new still is all. It was neat because the earlier model OS I had weighed what my Saito did and bolted into the same mounting holes. I figured I do not need the hi reving buzz of a 2 stroke when I actually need the torque a four stroke has. First time I flew it I was amazed. I will never go back to a 2 stroke now. It was neat seeing me go like 12 feet on take off and than pull straight up and and punch it and have it pull like a rocket.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM
rccardude04

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I never run pumps on my Saitos. I find muffler pressure to be sufficient if the low and high are adjusted properly. I will say that since I installed Turbo Headers on my 100s to replace the stock mufflers, I am sold. Pressure is better, throttle response is better, at least 200 more RPMs, and they are using less fuel. Here they are in high speed passes to compare. First is with stock mufflers, and then with the Turbo Headers.

Yeah, I agree that muffler pressure is fine; but I won't have muffler pressure. A friend is doing a custom header, which will have no pressure tap. If I have to use the stock setup I can, but I don't want to.

Plus I like playing with things, so that's another excuse.

I think I may shorten the vent hose a bit and try again.

-Eric
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
ram3500-RCU

I've just not seen the need for glow drivers on my Saitos. They are all mounted at 90 or inverted and I have no idle issues. Adjustment is tedious but with fine tuning, I get good performance without the extra weight and complexity. However, without pressure, and the rich setting that it would need, perhaps the extra glow would help. Have you considered turning the vent into the wind stream?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

hello everyone. its been a long time. i've been thru a financial struggle for the past 2 years but things are starting to smooth out finally. ! i have one Saito left but not much else. i will be rebuilding soon ! just glad to see Club Saito is still around. peace brothers !
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If it is loading up and smoking it is rich, your LS needle should be about where this one is. This is my 1.25 and .56, recon I should have said, "these two"

Woops, I found an .82 picture too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59444.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1285879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76218.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1285880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98998.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1285881  
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: SigMan

hello everyone. its been a long time. i've been thru a financial struggle for the past 2 years but things are starting to smooth out finally. ! i have one Saito left but not much else. i will be rebuilding soon ! just glad to see Club Saito is still around. peace brothers !
You're not alone bro. It has been a tough time for us in construction here in Ohio as well. But glad to see a fellow modeler doing better.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
spudandcat

My Tigermoth does have the yellow stripes on the wing it's the Green models/Austars one, I'll get some more pictures when I reassemble her, meanwhile.... I just got a Saito 1.25 on E-bay for Au$ 260 !!! No one else bid on it! How good is that , well if she ain't broken anyway hehehe, now I'll have the .80 the 1.00 and a 1.25 I really like these power plants. I've got some ASP 4S as well but they just aren't as sweet as the Saitos.

Off the to NRL GF tomorrow !!! will be great !

Seeyas spud
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
PearHead

rccarddude,
I had a VP-30 in a 1.25 and had rich spots for a while in the beginning. I ended up reducing the VP-30 flow rate a bit at a time and retuning for each setting (yeah, long process) and eventually found a "sweet spot" that worked. Perhaps that will work for you, too.
Good Luck.
PH
ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: rccardude04

I am running Byron's ''rotor rage'' 30% nitro/23% oil, and have approximately 1.5'' between tee and vent, with about 5'' between tee and atmosphere, with a little nipple on the end for convenience (and hopefully enough pressure to make the thing pump enough fuel at WOT).

Any thoughts? I read through blw's ''Saito Notes'' but couldn't find my specific issue. ANY help is appreciated. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't pull the pump off, put the muffler back on, then re-tune without the extra nipple on the end but I'd like to hear from some pros first.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric

Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Ram,

In my experience you are the exception, not the rule with inverted Saitos. I know you've managed to get yours tuned well.

When I've gotten mine to run well inverted, and then I turn the plane inverted (so that the engine is upright) I find they lean out that way.

I find it easier to add on-board glow for low idle. The glow systems are light these days. I actually went to 4-strokes to minimize fiddling, but some find it to be fun.

Jimbo
Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With inverted engines it is important to maintain proper tank height
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: JWQ500RC

Hi All. I have a Saito 82 in a Segull 46 size Decathlon. I maidened it today and all went well Saito ran like a watch, but I have a question. I have a 14X5 on the 82 now and it turns about 8800 RPM at WOT. Is this about right or should it turn up more?

Thanks
Me to,try a 14x6 apc wideblade,scale speed and a stump puller too.Don't worry about revs.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Rudolph Hart

Never a truer word said jimbo,tank height..
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
rccardude04

PearHead, Are you referring to the screw on top? I had it run out to the point where I was afraid it would fall out of the pump.

As far as the low speed needle, it's leaned out until the engine tried to die at idle then backed off until it would barely run, and I had very little change in the 1/4 throttle range. It still stumbled all over the place.

How long do changes to the pump take to have an effect? I was frustrated and ran the screw in until it barely stopped (top of the screw almost flush with the pump top), and then ran it out like 7 turns and it seemed to make absolutely no difference at WOT, but I did it within 10-15 seconds or so. Do I need to wait for 30 seconds to let it acquire the new settings?

-Eric
Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Actually it wasn't me that said tank height, it was our fearless leader W8ye.

But I agree with him. That's how I get the best flow and response with an inverted motor OR an upright motor. If there is a significant amount of difference you do stand the chance of having the engine respond differently in a different position, usually when you invert from your regular position or fly inverted for a while...

The Saitos are nice (user-friendly) in that their carbs regulate the flow some even if the fuel pressure changes, so you can get away with a little more than you can with some of the touchier motors, but there are limits!

Jimbo
Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks OF. I'll give that a try and see if it's better. I'll be back at the field tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Ram,

In my experience you are the exception, not the rule with inverted Saitos. I know you've managed to get yours tuned well.

When I've gotten mine to run well inverted, and then I turn the plane inverted (so that the engine is upright) I find they lean out that way.

I find it easier to add on-board glow for low idle. The glow systems are light these days. I actually went to 4-strokes to minimize fiddling, but some find it to be fun.

Jimbo
Hummmm, I am surprised to here that. Most guys I fly with don't use pumps or on board glow either. 'Keep-It-Simple' and as light as possible is the way I try to do things. Here is the way I set things up and maintain. Maybe there is something here that will help. I hope so.

I:
- set the tank stopper at the carburetor height
-use a three line system with fuel dots not spring loaded fuel fixtures
-keep the supply line and pressure line as short as possible
-install a new plug each year
-replace internal fuel lines every two years if I keep the plane
-use large supply line for 80 size and up
-use very rigid or metal engine mounts
-carefully and tediously fine tune the low end adjustment once, and leave it alone unless I change prop size
-BALANCE ALL PROPS
-use 15% quality synthetic fuel
-don't use muffler extensions of any kind on a stock muffler

These are my normal procedures for all my Saitos, inverted or otherwise. They all run great, and none need to carry the weight of extra "crutches" to run well. Most of us probably do all or almost all this stuff anyway, but still, I hope there is something here that will help. I don't have any 'beaters' carrying my Saitos, so they need to run well and be set up with care. If I think of anything else, I'll add it to the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.