Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

FNQ, there is a contributor on here by the name of Dar Zeelon from Israel who has few left in his stock. Shoot him a PM and he'll gladly tell you what he has left.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll try to catch up with him, but not now I've spent to much time here trying to find a good scale model kit , ARF or build (bi plane preferably) around 80 to 100 inch and not doing the thingsthat have to be done to keep body and soul together
Catch ya later
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guysss,

here's my new Saito 120S that i bought for my BlackHorse P-36A hawk ARF .......

Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Kostas, let us know how it runs, Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
gwoodward

Thank you,

I went to BOCA bearings yesterday and bought new bearings. I bought the standard bearings set for the saito not the high temp version. I put the bearings in the freezer and heated the engine block to 325. Both bearings went in smoothly. The first set of bearings were pressed in. I'll try running the engine tomorrow. Have you ever heard of a bad crank (out of balance) comming from Horizon? I hate to have to send the engine in Horizon. Someone from Horizon told me it could be the spray bar and high speed needle, doesn't sound logical to me. I've never removed either.
Glenn
Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Kostas, let us know how it runs, Thanks

Hobbsy i will !

Let me ask,

should i use as fuel CoolPower 20% N or i can just buy a gallon of 15% N ?

The 20%N fuel costs 30euros which is arround 40-42$ :P
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Cherokee Flyer

It will run fine on 15% nitro, but be sure you have some castor in the fuel. 15% Omega works nice in Saito 4 strokes.

L.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
rcair08
My Feedback: (2)

I own a Saito .82 Fa that is mounted in a stick built, and bashed, SIG Kadet Senior. The Saito has only been run on the bench. After checking , and resetting the valves according to the manual, it seems to run very well.
I see tons of information in this thread, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Hope to maiden the plane and engine sometime this week.

Art
AMA 915882
AA0BL
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kostas- that is good advice about Omega 15% fuel. It has a small percentage of castor. I bought a quart of castor and add a couple of ounces to each jug.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: rcair08

I own a Saito .82 Fa that is mounted in a stick built, and bashed, SIG Kadet Senior. The Saito has only been run on the bench. After checking , and resetting the valves according to the manual, it seems to run very well.
I see tons of information in this thread, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Hope to maiden the plane and engine sometime this week.

Art
AMA 915882
AA0BL
good buy there Art I have one and its the best engine I have , not that any of the others beside a tt 10 are duds. Good luck and cheers from the pope
Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
chunkyplunker

Sorry, I must stray from the topic of this thread. I all ways wanted to say something to the pope. So here goes, darn I can't say that here, well O.K. just Hi then.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Ernie Misner

Sorry, off topic only slightly, but Kostas1, how did you get your photos to go in there large, unlike most photos that you click on and then they get just slightly larger???????

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: blw

Kostas- that is good advice about Omega 15% fuel. It has a small percentage of castor. I bought a quart of castor and add a couple of ounces to each jug.

[] unfortunately i don't have access to other fuel except CoolPower...but the oil content (......only fully synthetic though) is 17%....
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Kostas1

Engine installed.....see the mount of burnt castor arround the muffler ???[:'(]

Is there any way to clean it up? Alcohol didn't work of course....

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 AM
FNQFLYER

Why do you guys use so little oil in your modern Saitos, my 56, 62 and 82 call for a minimum of 20% oil.
Running them in Old Timer models with less (especially in competition) results in at least new bearings after a few competitions mostly due to overheating and remember duration engine run times here are 30 seconds and Texaco average out at about 5 minutes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Ernie Misner

The best line of defense is to get the muffler clean and then seal every possible joint to keep it clean. Use teflon tape on the threads on both ends. Take the muffler apart and reassemble it with a dab of high temp silicone around the little nut in the front too. You want the exhaust coming out the back of the muffler but nowhere else. Keep the vent tube from getting on the hot muffler also.

You can soak everything in a crock pot full of antifreeze overnight to really clean it up. A quicker way on the outside of the muffler is to use a wire wheel on the bench grinder. Be sure and buy a wheel with soft wire though. They come both ways and the soft variety doesn't scratch the aluminum, just cleans it up, and the you can polish it with the buffing wheel if you want to but the soft wire does a nice job.

Ernie
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 AM
FNQFLYER

Try oven cleaner (the foaming type) but don't leave it on for more than a minute or so (will chew up the Alumimium) looks like it will need several applications. Scrub with an old tooth brush and wash off with water. Don't forget to strip the engine first. Works on most engines.
I have found this sort of residue is due to to much castor and not enough lubricating oil in the mix causing overheating over time
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 AM
mk1spitfire

I'm going to try and do the bearing replacement for saito 82 myself.

Can anyone provide the type,front and rear bearing size, so i can order today thanks.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Can anyone provide the type,front and rear bearing size, so i can order today thanks.

Cheers
Try [link=http://www.rc-bearings.com]RC Bearings[/link] I've always found them to be quick to deliver half way around the world and I've yet to find bearings locally cheaper. Best bet is you just order bearings to suit your engines, no messing around with dimensions and part numbers etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 AM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: The Raven

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Cheers
Try [link=http://www.rc-bearings.com]RC Bearings[/link] I've always found them to be quick to deliver half way around the world and I've yet to find bearings locally cheaper. Best bet is you just order bearings to suit your engines, no messing around with dimensions and part numbers etc.
yer, I think now from their site I have the size. Still would like confirmation from someone.
I've taken the backplate off, to try and see the type of bearing. I can see it looks sealed at the back, Is the rear bearing sealed at the front or open or franetic type.

I assume the front bearing is sealed front and back.

Uk macgregor out of saito bearings
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Saito 82 uses a 6902 in the rear

and a R6 - 2rs in the front

http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=771

The rear should be bare with no shields or seals and the front has rubber seals on both sides

$6.89 for both bearings plus shipping USA
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The Saito 82 uses a 6902 in the rear

and a R6 - 2rs in the front

http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=771

The rear should be bare with no shields or seals and the front has rubber seals on both sides

$6.89 for both bearings plus shipping USA
Thanks, However, like I say, now that I have removed the back cover I can clearly see the rear of the rear bearing is sealed.
I've looked at horizon hobby 82 parts and this to shows its sealed,but only back of bearing picture
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI91S22A
Maybe now the bearings are not sealed or I have early saito82?

I phoned macgregor who don't have any saito 82 bearings but asked them to look at saito 72 rear bearing and he said that was fully open.

Here is mine

Magregor want $38.80 for both bearings ,if they had any, what a rip off..!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66727.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1427645  
Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
mk1spitfire

Hey W8ye.
I just called a local bearing company and he knew what those numbers you said ment and he's got them in stock.
However, interestingly, he pointed out that the front bearing is imperial and back bearing metric??????

He says the rear bearing he has is sealed, but will remove the seal for me to make it open like you say, even if the bearing I'm taking out and horizon hobby show a sealed or part sealed rear bearing according to the picture I posted above.

$12.55 from him, thats the best I'm going to get here in rip off britain!!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just take off the seals or shields when the bearings came in. I think that substitute bearings get shipped all the time judging by what people say.

$38.80 is totally too high. Do you have a parts store in town that may stock them? I would call several and use the numbers that W8YE gave you. If not, there are other places to find them at decent prices. I just ordered a set from Advantagerc.com.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 AM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: blw

I would just take off the seals or shields when the bearings came in. I think that substitute bearings get shipped all the time judging by what people say.

$38.80 is totally too high. Do you have a parts store in town that may stock them? I would call several and use the numbers that W8YE gave you. If not, there are other places to find them at decent prices. I just ordered a set from Advantagerc.com.
Yer, I just returned from bearing shop, the assistant took off the rear shields for me. I paid $12.55 (converted) for the pair. They say made in japan too.!

I hope the crankshaft has a taper or step in it as the new front bearing inner hole seems bigger than the front width of the shaft.

So, tomorrow I tackle the job.

Just a bit concerned about getting the timing right, or precisely how to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.