Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hey you are talking about FNQ   (Far North Queensland) where it is further to travel to our states capital (Brisbane) than to travel from Brisbane to the National capital  Canberra
But thanks for the info, I intend to use our local Honda shop to source the oil etc for these engines (for run in period).  Am I aloud to say that some of he fliers here actually use Cool Power in their petrol engines or is that herasy
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 PM
FNQFLYER

Oh yes been meaning to ask does the posession of 1 x Saito 30, 1x Saito 50, 1 x 56, 1 x 62, 2 x 65's, 1 x Fg20, and 1 x Fg36 qualify me as a member of Club Saito or do my Aussie rants exclude me 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Hey you are talking about FNQ (Far North Queensland) where it is further to travel to our states capital (Brisbane) than to travel from Brisbane to the National capital Canberra
But thanks for the info, I intend to use our local Honda shop to source the oil etc for these engines (for run in period). Am I aloud to say that some of he fliers here actually use Cool Power in their petrol engines or is that herasy
The Evolution oil recommended by Horizon for the FG series Saito engines is actually Morgan's Cool Power 2 cycle Kart Oil

Morgan has two kinds, the yellow and the blue. Evolution is the blue

http://www.morganfuel.com/2-cycle.html

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USD 21 for a Saito spark plug in Aussie pesos that equates to about AUD$29 asking price from my model shop is AUD 45, you think you are hard done by. I am in Cairns and have a supply line problem (I am on the far end of the line) so spares (at least one) are the order of the day, I have an FG20 and an FG36 so that is 2 spare plugs and I am contemplating purchasing the FG30 and FG14, (got to have the set), oh well if one has to have the best one must pay the penalty I guess
You pulling my leg? you can spill more than that on a good drinking night up there
Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Craig 01

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

USD 21 for a Saito spark plug in Aussie pesos that equates to about AUD$29 asking price from my model shop is AUD 45, you think you are hard done by. I am in Cairns and have a supply line problem (I am on the far end of the line) so spares (at least one) are the order of the day, I have an FG20 and an FG36 so that is 2 spare plugs and I am contemplating purchasing the FG30 and FG14, (got to have the set), oh well if one has to have the best one must pay the penalty I guess
You pulling my leg? you can spill more than that on a good drinking night up there
Not if you drink good old home grown home brew
Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Craig 01

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Hey you are talking about FNQ (Far North Queensland) where it is further to travel to our states capital (Brisbane) than to travel from Brisbane to the National capital Canberra
But thanks for the info, I intend to use our local Honda shop to source the oil etc for these engines (for run in period). Am I aloud to say that some of he fliers here actually use Cool Power in their petrol engines or is that herasy
The Evolution oil recommended by Horizon for the FG series Saito engines is actually Morgan's Cool Power 2 cycle Kart Oil

Morgan has two kinds, the yellow and the blue. Evolution is the blue

Well there you go,I'll be buggered.Played with Karts for a bit a few years ago and used castrol R30 at 18-1 and later castrol A-747 at 20-1.
Never would of entertained the thought of using cool power blue at that time.
Thanks for the info and link : )
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
w8ye

Probably easier to get Evolution oil from Horizon than Coolpower from Morgan in Queensland?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Craig 01

Cool power,i believe is available from Model Engines through your LHS in Aus.There is possibly other avenues of availabillity,but last i knew it was ME.That being the case they would be the sole importer.Although i do stand to be corrected.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
w8ye

For others reading this . . .

The Cool Power Blue we are talking about is for gasoline and not glow fuel

Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Craig 01

I have a 5 litre container of cool power blue in the shed and readily mixes with methanol without separation
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
w8ye

It might be a little confusing at this point but I have seen (at bigger hobby shops) blue Cool Power oil and pink Omega oil on the shelves that was for glow fuel but I have not seen it listed separately on the Morgan Fuels site.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Craig 01

As i understand it,ME purchase in bulk and package for distribution.Blue is a medium viscosity (dont know the exact index) and pink or red is a lighter viscosity.Last i looked into it,both were available here in AU.Both readily soluble in methanol and both straight synthetic.
Checked the ME site and no longer show Coolpower in their listings.
Another wholesaler carries perhaps ?.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

can i have some real life Prop/RPM measurements for a Saito FA-180 ?

Kostas
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
w8ye

Craig,

Glad we are bringing this oil discussion out for everyone to see
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Guys,

Kostas
You can get a good bit of information from the Engine RPM forum

You need to read between the lines at times

Keep in mind the variables of different brand props and the nitro content of the fuel they are using as well as the altitude and weather

Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Craig 01

Yes,it is interesting to look at the site you linked to previously.
The container i have has no reference to what it is soluble in,has very little information on it at all.I'll take a pic of it shortly and add.
My memory is failing me,go figure."Perhaps too much home brew ?,never."
As can be seen it is Hobby Headquarters who market the stuff and does list more than i thought originally.
This container is fairly old (2007) and i've noticed the blue dye ? colouration has faded somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54957.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1486077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77517.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1486078  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
w8ye

Keep in mind that there are the MV synthetics. They are like the automotive 5W-30 oils.

Multiple viscosity

People get more rpm with this oil

The first I read about it was Fuel man talking about it and then S&W had it on their site. Hobbsy got some and ran it in some engines.

Then a year or two later I saw Morgan had it in some of their Cool Power fuels. I'm sure other companies have it as well?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Guys,

Kostas
You can get a good bit of information from the Engine RPM forum

You need to read between the lines at times

Keep in mind the variables of different brand props and the nitro content of the fuel they are using as well as the altitude and weather

I will search,

but I THOUGHT that asking in the Club-Saito area would have been more helpful!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Kostas1

ORIGINAL: kevinkenny

My 180 is not getting the rpm that the specks says it should. I am running a 16/8 propellor using 15% Cool Power and only getting 8,300 rpm. Not that the Diablo is under powered but I was just wondering if there is any thing I can do. I did adjust the low speed idle jet quite lean to get the idle speed I wanted and am not sure if this would affect the high speed adjustment.
Quote below that one said they were getting around 9,000 RPM. I searched the Saito thread.
John
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Ernie Misner

I wonder how these synthetics compare with the ones in Europe that those folks say are so superior to our synthetics.... ?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I wonder how these synthetics compare with the ones in Europe that those folks say are so superior to our synthetics.... ?

Thanks,

Ernie
Whilst I agree synthetics are technically better than castor etc, I am yet to be convinced about the magical properties some people attribute to synthetic oils, specifically how one brand is magically superior to another. Assuming no one is cutting corners, they'll all be about the same.

I suspect many fliers are blinded by the advertising and deluding themselves into seeing magical results that really can't be measured through their normal use. Even under real lab conditions, I doubt there would be more than 1-3% measurable difference (in any measure) between brands.

If dyno testing is necessary to measure differences between 500hp automotive race engines, there's no way any individual can claim a noticeable difference in a 1-5hp model engine. That may upset some 'experts' but then the truth often hurts egos. [:@]

On the issue of bearings:

Other than 'unknown' second hand engines, I've only needed to replace two sets of bearings in the 30+ engines I have. Both those times the bearings failed after excessive use, abuse, or heat.....and I've NEVER used after run oil. Yes, I accept that some climates may justify after run oils but not as many as some think.

Now it's time to put on my flame proof suit.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

What do you mean it mixes readily with methonol,you mean,you mean you are not supposed to drink the stuff?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Craig 01

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I guess it depends on the meaning of 'better'.

I keep hearing that other lubes are better, but I don't think that any offer the same protection at the heat ranges castor tolerates and protects.

Then, there is the info that Bill Robison gathered regarding cam wear using castor and pure synthetic.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
beeper0358

I need help, I have a saito .56 which has been running perfect for a year. One day I checked the glow (OS F type) and thought the look of it made me order a couple new OS "F" glow plugs.

Guess what! After replacing it with a new plug which I did check before I installed it (Attached it on a glow driver making sure it glows) and my engine would not start. Adjusted needle; replaced glow driver; primed engine; and even to the point of checking my rocker clearances and still no go!

Replaced the glow plug with the old one and it fires up instantly . Replaced it again with a second new plug and it wont even puff! Anybody has experienced this? I compared the old from the new and it seems the old OS plug has a slightly thinner wire and a bigger space between the wire and the plug wall. Any ideas??? Thank you as always!

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.