Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: tacx

I have run the engine for a short test run without the muffler. Surprisingly, as w8ye has stated, it was not that much louder than with the muffler.

Good to know. I guess the only negative is the exhaust not being directed away from the plane.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pmfennellnh

Hello

How do I join club saito? [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter
Peter- you are member #764

Anyone else need a club number?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I have run the engine for a short test run without the muffler. Surprisingly, as w8ye has stated, it was not that much louder than with the muffler.

Good to know. I guess the only negative is the exhaust not being directed away from the plane.
I fly at two clubs.

1. Skymasters in Lake Orion.

2. Romeo Skyhawks. Skyhawks field is located about 5 miles east of 29 mile and VanDyke. On a road named Kunstaman. About 3/4 mile north of 29 mile rd. It is a limited membership club. There is a waiting list.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I fly at two clubs.

1. Skymasters in Lake Orion.

2. Romeo Skyhawks. Skyhawks field is located about 5 miles east of 29 mile and VanDyke. On a road named Kunstaman. About 3/4 mile north of 29 mile rd. It is a limited membership club. There is a waiting list.
A waiting list? Amazing!! Our club in Detroit keeps losing people. We used to be around 200+ members, now we are around 70. Sad, but I don't have to wait a long time to get a turn to fly.
The reason I asked is because I was hoping I could fly a small plane somewhere on the way back home from work. The Lake Orion might work. By the time I get home from my drive, it is too late to go back to the field.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: pmfennellnh

Hello

How do I join club saito? [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter
Peter- you are member #764

Anyone else need a club number?
I acquired a used Saito 1.8, but have not started it yet. Do I qualify if I haven't started it yet?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
clytle374

I've got a Saito 100 I just broke in for a AW edge 540T. I got the 90deg part for the exhaust, but it looks like I need a 45deg manifold also. The website doesn't make it clear what threads are on the part. Is this the right part?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI8075A

I'm using the 90 then this 45, do I need to support the muffler? Or will it be okay?

Thanks
Cory

EDIT: One more thing. When I would peak the rpm the muffler would rotate in the tighter direction, is that normal?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 AM
blw

Absolutely.

Hsukaria- member #765
Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
hsukaria

Absolutely.

Hsukaria- member #765
Thanks, that's a GOOD number!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:22 PM
RC Specialties

Cory,

If you are using the Saito 90 degree with the stock muffler you will probably have problems. They recommend it for their flexible exhaust only.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
clytle374

ORIGINAL: RC Specialties

Cory,

If you are using the Saito 90 degree with the stock muffler you will probably have problems. They recommend it for their flexible exhaust only.

Many people over on the Aeroworks edge 540t thread are using them like this.

I uploaded it again since I can't find which of the 68 pages the picture was posted. Well, not sure what to do now, maybe get the flexible muffler.

EDIT: You are right about Saito saying the 90 is only for flexible exhaust. It says that on a little note that comes with the part, sadly you only know that AFTER you spent $20 getting it shipped to your door.

Thanks
Cory

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48116.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1636038  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:49 PM
clytle374

Got in a hurry and posted in the wrong thread.

Cory

Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
mudboger07

Anyone ever had an issue with the fuel pressure line coming off the muffler? I have the saito 100, it used ot be in a mustang with no isses but after instaling it int he revolver 70 everytime I try run it it poped off, I ended up using a wire tie to hold it in place so that I could fly.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Rudolph Hart

Not yet,try those little spring loaded fuel line clips they use on the nitro cars
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems that this would only happen if something was pinched somewhere, like the silicone tube, or perhaps you put a 1/8" copper tubing 'joiner' in the line, and the ends weren't deburred?? Something similar happened to me - the culprit was the joiner. When I cut it, the ID got necked down badly (I've since learned and now make neater slices

Just a thought,

Bob
Old 07-17-2011, 02:25 PM
blw

Your tubing may be getting old and soft. Tubing can get soft and start to collapse when heated. That means intermittent lean runs once everything heats up. You are in for a good tail chasing when that happens and you don't know about it. W8YE had it happen on his fuel jug one day. About a month later, mine wouldn't pump fuel because of the same problem.

Replace the fuel line with new tubing.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
mudboger07

Your tubing may be getting old and soft. Tubing can get soft and start to collapse when heated. That means intermittent lean runs once everything heats up. You are in for a good tail chasing when that happens and you don't know about it. W8YE had it happen on his fuel jug one day. About a month later, mine wouldn't pump fuel because of the same problem. It also happened

Replace the fuel line with new tubing.

Thanks blw I will chaange it out, its about 6 months old so I didnt think about that, N1edm, are you talking about the copper line coming out of the tank?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 PM
N1EDM

HI Ken,

Nope, not talking about that. Not knowing your setup, I was just wondering if you had happened to have cut a piece of common copper tubing for any reason and used that to splice lines, etc. If the ends don't get deburred, the pressure backs up (because the ID is now restricted) and the pressure blows the tubing off. The fittings on your fuel container should be OK.

Bob
Old 07-17-2011, 04:31 PM
mudboger07

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

HI Ken,

Nope, not talking about that. Not knowing your setup, I was just wondering if you had happened to have cut a piece of common copper tubing for any reason and used that to splice lines, etc. If the ends don't get deburred, the pressure backs up (because the ID is now restricted) and the pressure blows the tubing off. The fittings on your fuel container should be OK.

Bob
Hi Bob, Splicing is one thing I dont do, to many issues...lol Its kinda weird, it worked ok in the mustang, but for some reason it keep coming off on the revolver, I went ahead and wire tied it and all is well so far, next tear down I will replace all lines...We ran it 4 times saturday with it wire tied and no issues.......
Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
N1EDM

Thanks for that update... I was only thinking that something was plugged somewhere which is the only reason that the tubing might blow off. You said that the tubing was only 6 months old - then it should be good for a long time.

Keep us in the loop if you happen to find out anything...

Bob
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
clytle374

I'm thinking that the only way pressure could increase is if the muffler is plugged up.

Cory
Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM
N1EDM

There's a good thought (I presume that you're referring to the outlet, not the pressure port)... I wonder what could plug up a Saito muffler though? It's worth checking out.

Bob
Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
FNQFLYER

To conclude the saga (for me at least) about the engine for my Reliant.  After more research down in Brisbane plus physically checking dimensions I have acquired a Saito 115 for the new model.  It is 3 mm longer than the 82 (= bugger all) and approx 10mm higher, probably less when I install same.  The Saito mount has the same rear plate thichness and when inverted one should not see the rocker covers.  (I have to cut them out slightly to accomodate the engine). I will have a scale exhaust outlet (through the 2 pipes pointing downwards on either side of the cowl.
So I guess all is well that ends well.  Lesson learnt here is to use the absolute latest in dimensions in selecting Saito engines or have as many examples of the sought you want to use at hand (usually by begging borrowing or "acquiring") before the final decision is made.
One last comment Has any one seen what happens to plastic tanks that are subject to engine pressurisation.  Here I am talking about engines such as the YS 53 / 63 range etc.  If left get out of hand the results are "interesting".  In the case I am referring to a very arge workshop got covered in nitro fuel.  Mad and interesting discussion point and the reason for raising this is that said operator of this engine had just started using the fuel line clips mentioned above because he kept blowing his fuel lnes if nipples and joins.
Catch ya  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
mudboger07

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

There's a good thought (I presume that you're referring to the outlet, not the pressure port)... I wonder what could plug up a Saito muffler though? It's worth checking out.

Bob

Never thought abotu that, it could be, I'll tear into it after work tomarrow.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 AM
boogermancan

i lost my old youtube account this is a repost on a new account of my saito 125 idling under 500 rpm's
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLGY6-p04Xk[/youtube]
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Bladebuster

Hello. Not a Saito owner yet. I have a few questions before i purchase one. I am fairly new to 4 stroke engines. At the moment, i am flying a GP Escapade, with a Magnum 52 4 stroke. I also fly helicopters. The fuel i use for the heli. is CP 15% nitro, with about 17% all syn. oil. When i bought the Magnum 52, I was told i could use the heli fuel, but i should add about 4oz of castor to a gal. My question is, can i still use the CP 15% with the 4oz of castor for a Saito 62, which is what i am thinking of getting for my next plane. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.