Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

The large pictures are another bug that comes up a lot. It is always on just one server from what I was told. I don't know about Photobucket though.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the last year I have been using photobucket. I never saw one that rendered huge.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
StangFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, Club Saito.... sounds good to me. Not near as good however as my 3 180's all running at the same time. Add to that my 72 and my 80. Oh, and there is no mistaking the sound of a 300 twin right? The FA 150 (2) is also just as awesome. Read that a couple of you fellas have been drooling and lusting over the OS Pegasus 320 flat four. Lemme tell ya something. IT is one amazing engine. Not too unlike the OS Gemini 160 twin. Had one each of these marvelous motors. Still, nothing compares to the sound, the looks and the over all craftmanship of the motors Gen Saito himself started building not oh so long ago. Was not entirely convinced with my first Saito Radial, but with all fine wines, everything gets better with time. So all in all, I don't think it matters how many Saito's you have, have had or will have. As long as you get to fondle the jug of at least one with loving caresses, Life is a much brighter place to be.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 AM
ovationdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, new to this forum, and  new Saito Owner (relatively speaking). I have a .91, and it seems to run without issue, but I also picked up a used 1.50, and it seems to be a bit finicky to start and run solid. I am pretty sure its me and not the engine, I have inspected it, and all looks good. I will get it running again this weekend, but I thought I would ask if anyone has any tips about this engine for glow plug, fuel, etc.. that may help me out. At least that way I can eliminate a couple potential issues and focus on other stuff as  I try to get this running properly. It does run, its just not easy to keep going, and seems to not transition well. I think I was running 15% coolpower in it when I tried last time. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 08-24-2012, 03:51 AM
ovationdave

Hi All, new to this forum, and  new Saito Owner (relatively speaking). I have a .91, and it seems to run without issue, but I also picked up a used 1.50, and it seems to be a bit finicky to start and run solid. I am pretty sure its me and not the engine, I have inspected it, and all looks good. I will get it running again this weekend, but I thought I would ask if anyone has any tips about this engine for glow plug, fuel, etc.. that may help me out. At least that way I can eliminate a couple potential issues and focus on other stuff as  I try to get this running properly. It does run, its just not easy to keep going, and seems to not transition well. I think I was running 15% coolpower in it when I tried last time. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 AM
ovationdave

Hello All, new to Saito (relatively speaking) and new to this forum. I recently picked up a used Saito 1.50, and I am having a bit of difficulty getting it to run properly. I have a .91 that seems to run fine, but for some reason this one seems to be testing me. I am going to give it a whirl again this weekend ( haven't messed with it since last summer, but I have a plane in mind for it this winter if I can get it going), and wondered if anyone could recommend fuel or a glow plug. I was running %15 cool power, and an OS "F" plug in it. So in an attempt to eliminate a couple of variables, I thought I would ask if anyone has any thoughts on this? I have inspected the engine, and checked the valve lash, and everything looks good to me, so I am hoping its just tuning.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 AM
ovationdave

Sorry for the double post......
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, I went back to page 896 and reduced a bunch of large pictures, some so large that about a third of the picture was off the page. Every single one was a Photo Bucket. Funny thing though, where the picture was so large it went off the right side of the page the writing was that wide too so you had scroll sideways to read them. When I resized the pictures the writing shrunk too.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Rudolph Hart

Default RE: [Deleted]

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Yes, I assume that is what you have that big Saito in, yes or no??
Have you seen any one flying the Austar Swodfish over your way. I gather there is one flying in the west. We have one flying sort of here on the east coast (at Calvert Field) and the initial constructors have done just about everything wrong that can be done to it. Re inventing the wheel when the build blog solved every problem that arose.
What has that to do with Saitos, well I have said kit and am going to follow the poms and use a FG36 instead of the 55 gas engines (aka lead bricks) that most people are using elsewhere. So before I embark on the kit assembly I was wondering what experience others have had with the engine in this sort of application
Yes it's well and truly overpowered by the 220 glo version at 72" wingspan.Only seen one fg36 in a cropduster low wing about 80" wingspan,flew it with some authority but was'nt tuned well,that's all i can offer as a comparison if you like.On the 55 gas engine front i have a blackhorse 90" edge 540 v3 designed for the os55 gt engine.I have a fg57 twin in mine and don't have to add any lead down the back for the balance to be good,go figure.. flying weight will be ten kilo's and you tube vids show the 57 hauling corsairs and other scale birds around with ease,and they weigh half as much again.Looking forward to flying mine with a big prop and stubby exhausts
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Hobbsy

OK, everybody listen up, here's the deal, if the word, deleted appears in the upper left of a post, do not use the Quick Reply button, go to a post near by without the word deleted and use the regular reply button. many Thanks, this a long and deep rooted problem that is stubborn.

Hope this is bisible enough as my grandson says.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: [Deleted]

SodBuster, dont sign off sir, i been away from glow over a year now but im trying to decide what motor to install in my Sig Rascal 110. probably a Saito gasser ? never thought this thread would be around more than a few weeks when i started it several years ago but i always pop in and read alittle. never gets old.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
numbers

I've had a .72 in a Proctor Nieuport 11 for about 10 years now. Absolutely the best engine I've ever had. Never had an issue with detonation before, but last night it started knocking pretty bad near max throttle.

Running 15% Wildcat 2/4 stroke fuel, 14-6 prop....same set up I've been using for years. Don't really need 15%, but my other planes use it and too lazy to carry two types of fuel around.

I've read air leaks around intake manifold could be making it go lean, so I'll check that. I've never had the engine apart either so I'll give a good cleanup and check the valves as well. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Hobbsy

Does yours have the plastic backplate, if so you might consider the new aluminum one while you have it apart.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hey guys talking about good luck. The guy with his office in front of mine knows I fly RC. Maybe the big sticker in the back window of my truck gave him a hint. Anyhow his 8 y/o grandson plays with electric park flyers. 2 days ago his neighbor comes with this "gas plane" and gave it to him. 
He turns around and gave it to me because he doesn't want his grandson playing with gassers.
It turns out it is a 40 size Ultrastick with an OS 46. 
It was very dusty and the monocoat in the wings had a couple of holes.
I patched it, cleaned, rinse the engine with glow fuel, put a new Rx and battery and........ Presto, it flew today.[X(]
God only knows for how long this plane was sitting in that garage. 
Now is in my hangar with a lot of friends after it flew the Fl friendly skies today.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Fred L
My Feedback: (2)

just got in 2-91's for a 92"ws cessna 310, running 3-blade 13x6 props
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hi fnq,just got a message from hobbsy to say don't reply to any deleted posts so i'll try and remember what you asked for.Yes the 220 glow is in a 72" mew gull,it's a bit much.Re the fg36(gas version of the 220 glow)i've seen one haul around a heavy low winged ag plane so should be good in that swordfish you have.Only two weeks to go and i should be able to start the fg57 for the first time in a 90" blackhorse edge 540v3.Exhaust headers are only 60mm long so it should sound good.You tube vids show this engine pulling heavy warbirds around and the edge only weighs 10 kilo's so it will be fun specially with that awesome saito fourstroke sound.Good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Fred,

Myself, just passed on an old 72" 310 kit. I drooled for too long a time, . . . and now I could kick my butt.

Those 91's will sure give a beautiful sound, as well as performance and reliability. Enjoy them greatly.

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Spitfire Bro 19
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
blw

Numbers, both versions of the 72 plastic backpate will probably weaken and flex. Flexing moves the manifold pipe in and out of the cylinder head, drawing air and causing the engine to run lean intermittently. The quick fix is to use flat washers on the backplate to spread the load. Also, use a threadlocker and check those screws often at first. I used epoxy on the threads. Next, put a bead of RTV under that shiny washer going into the cylinder head. This does a good job of sealing the joint. The metal backplate is the only permanent fix, but are made of unobtainium. The other measures I mentioned do work well and gives you a great running engine.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, I am currently building a Sig Cadet (the big one, 3 channel thingy) to give my mate here in FNQ some flying time (once he learns the basics) and also for me to get current again (on 4 + channel) with the new wing we are building.  It will be same W/s and have flaps and ailerons.  Bit of butchery (and lots of preformed t/e section)
Bu what I am getting to is that this machine has a number of different Saito mount points on the firewall.  Purpose is to get air time on new engines during the break in period.  We currently have the following ready to get out of the box for various projects that are either under way or in the pipe line.  The engines include, a 56, a 62, a 82, a 115, an FG 20 and FG36.  Project has slowed due to the engineering required to beef up the firewall and surrounds to handle the varying power ranges.  I have / will be putting in a box to hold ballast to compensate for the upper levels of power we are putting in to the beast, but I reckon it will prove to be somewhat interesting to see the flight charastics with the bigger engines.  Fortunately the field it will operate out of has a very long run way.
The Mew gull my Brisbane mate / mentor is playing with is grossly overpowered with the 20 gasser but the owner wants to put a 36 Saito in it or a 200 x 4 stroke.  All interesting. 
I am looking forward to hearing how the 57 goes
Good luck with it
Catch ya 
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks for the good wishes.You might get a surprise re weights to achieve a good cg value.All the arf's i have so far did'nt need much and some none at all.Are the manufactures allowing for increased engine weight when they design their new aircraft? i hear lots of da/dle diehards saying they are adding lead to the nose of their arf's,i like the functional way fourstrokes go about their business,they provide lots of instant thrust for ham fisted buggers like me and it's an enjoyable audio day out to boot good luck with your projects mate.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

I didn't get any replies to my cam timing question concerning a 1.82 twin back in Post 22719, so I queried Horizon a few days ago. Still no answer. I checked the manual and proceeded to time it based on their instruction. I saw that both left and right cams have a dot and I timed them accordingly; right cam at 9 o'clock, rotate the crank 180 degrees CCW, and left cam at 3 o'clock. Guess what? Didn't work. In the manual they mention the "bench mark" in the illustration. The problem is I assumed they were referring to the "dot". Upon re-reading the manual they mentioned the "etched line" on the left cam. I checked the old cam and sure enough, there it was about 105 degrees in advance of the "dot". (See picture below.) On the new left cam the "etched line is barely visible. I had to mark it with a sharpie so it would show up better.

Anyway, apparently all cams are the same and then they etch a line at the proper position to designate it a left cam.

The engine is assembled and I ran it this afternoon. Surprise, (for me) it ran well. One more anchor off my bench. Now I can get back to my Fleet build.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24101.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1795195  
Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
w8ye

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't ask me?

I discovered this the hard way too on the 182 about 6 yrs ago.

When I found out that the left cam didn't work correctly when set on the dot at top dead center for the left cylinder, I re-timed the left cam to where the overlap portion of the cam cycle was through top dead center, The engine ran perfect.

A couple years later, I was doing my 100 twin. I looked at the cam carefully and discovered the line on the left cam. Using the line it timed perfectly also.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

I's amazing what the manual DOESN'T say.

I guess some instructions get lost in the translation. The instructions from my 1.20 in the early eighties are a sight to behold.

Bob
Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

Re transit i think everyone would like to see them...just for clarification purposes of course if i'm on the right track here a lot of people i know including me complain at times about chinglish translations and it reminds me of 1970's spanish bultaco motorcycle owners manuals.Trying to understand what the hell they were saying while looking at the few confusing illustrations you got would confuse the average dustbin man,and they ain't stupid,all sympathies man
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
fly boy 2
My Feedback: (1)

I have a question regarding a saito 82, what would cause an engine to run great while the plane is up right but has a decrease in power when knife edge and worse when inverted.

I have checked the fuel tank and all looks well to me.

Thank you all for your help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.