Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: earlwb

That was not what I meant. He has a working ignition system, thus it really isn't worth scrapping it out for another system, unless it isn't working well and or is broken or something.

But then I see guys all the time at the flying field buying the latest and greatest new engine to replace their almost new current engine, just because they think they need it or have to have it. So if Hobbsy really wants it, then go for it Hobbsy.

Your comment about only making it worse seems to show a lack of understanding of how these CDI systems work. (mechanically)

C&H has used the fixed hall sensor/adjustable trigger magnet ring on the synchrospark CDI sytems since '97. The methods of securing the compnents has changed W/the use of CNC technology, but the basic fixed/adjustable scenerio has remained unchanged. These mounting fixturess had to be custom designed for each application.

When RCEXEL copied the electronics for outsourcing to China, they tried to make a one size fits all system for everyone. That was when the magnet drilled into the prop hub by the end user W/a rudimentary system of mounting an adjustable pick/up was tried. That type of set/up has proved less user friendly & the decision of Saito to employ similar systems has also been fraught W/problems.

If you look @ the PIX of Hobbsy's C&H system, it is KISS personified.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I dont get the magazine.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> yep, had 3& in hosp now gettin TOTAL SSHOULDER,HURTS BAD BAD!!!!! BUT had no choice, rc completely gone! >>>

Hang in there my friend. You WILL get back to flying and then enjoy it all the more. Keep us posted.

Dave, that IS the same dang sling I am wearing as we speak. They really slow a person down huh! I'm looking forward to spring.....
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between the old and new versions of the Saito 56? I feel like I need one. From the research I've done, the carb & intake tube are different and the crankcase looks a little different. Also, the muffler has changed. Is there a difference in performance/sound with the new muffler?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Rudolph Hart

OK buy a 62
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ernie if your situation is like mine was, there is no way to lay or sit that is comfortable with that thing.

Quick, OF is right the .62 may be the best choice. Thw .50, .56 and 62 are real sweethearts. The .62 has very nearly the power of the .65. The difference is 100 rpm or less.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the 62 is also smaller and lighter than the 65, which is why I'm still hunting for one for my A6M6 Zero project.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
blw

I'm keeping my 56 until it is pried from my cold, dead fingers!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Cougar429

blw, how's your health?

Sorry, couldn't pass that up.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: earlwb

That was not what I meant. He has a working ignition system, thus it really isn't worth scrapping it out for another system, unless it isn't working well and or is broken or something.

But then I see guys all the time at the flying field buying the latest and greatest new engine to replace their almost new current engine, just because they think they need it or have to have it. So if Hobbsy really wants it, then go for it Hobbsy.

Your comment about only making it worse seems to show a lack of understanding of how these CDI systems work. (mechanically)

C&H has used the fixed hall sensor/adjustable trigger magnet ring on the synchrospark CDI sytems since '97. The methods of securing the compnents has changed W/the use of CNC technology, but the basic fixed/adjustable scenerio has remained unchanged. These mounting fixturess had to be custom designed for each application.

When RCEXEL copied the electronics for outsourcing to China, they tried to make a one size fits all system for everyone. That was when the magnet drilled into the prop hub by the end user W/a rudimentary system of mounting an adjustable pick/up was tried. That type of set/up has proved less user friendly & the decision of Saito to employ similar systems has also been fraught W/problems.

If you look @ the PIX of Hobbsy's C&H system, it is KISS personified.
I could really care less about which ignition system a person it using. But if their existing system is working, there is no real reason to spend money "upgrading" it then. But then people do it all the time. So if someone wants to fine, Go for it.

The only CH ignitions I have seen were the old ones with the mechanical advance setup on them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those work yet.everyone who brought out a airplane with engine setup like that had problems and couldn't get them to run right. But I didn't go over to see what the problems were. Anyway I am sure the new ones are great, I just haven't had a reason to get one yet. When one of my brand X ignitions quit working, then I'll consider getting a CH unit.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Pee off cougar blw is being a might stubborn.A 62 will cane a 56 any day since we were born.How's everyone doing?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Quikturn

Hmmm. I didn't consider the 62 before because I already have a 65 and knew they were pretty much the same class engine. The 62 is about 5 oz lighter than the 65 and puts out the same power.

I recently convinced myself to stop looking for a 50 and look for a 56 instead. The 56 is an ounce lighter and can swing the same prop 1k rpm faster. That makes for a much better engine IMO. The are 2 versions of the 56 however. It appears the be cosmetic but was wondering if there was some performance improvement as well.

Now the 62 is about the same weight of a 56 and can swing the same prop 1k rpm faster yet. I've read the vibration is relatively low for this engine as well.

For the price difference the 62 is the best choice unless I happen to find a great deal on a 56.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
FNQFLYER

Re engines.  I have a 50, (used) a 56 (first Gold Knight into OZ), a 62 (as yet unused I have managed to get the use of other peoples) and 2 x 65's as well as a couple of "big ones" and 2 x gas engines (all Saitos).  My son is sitting vulture like on my shoulder waiting for the day that I "loose it" and he will swoop on that part of my engine collection secure in the knowledge that not even the riders of the apocolypse (hope I spelt that right) would get them out of my collection.
The 65 and the 50 are my preferred engines, the 56 and the 62 have proven to be great competition engines.  So

Merry Xmas to all and a great new year.  I am off to welcome a new grand child into the world as well as catch up with the 6 grand daughters and i grand son.  And giving thanks that my army helicopter mechanic son is home from O/S and thanks to Julia's spending there isn't sufficient funds for hin to be sent to Afghanistan next year
Catch ya guys
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
FNQFLYER

Hey Old Fart, it is rule change time (at National level) and the dumb idiots (well maybe not so dumb) have proposed a rule change in Duration (vertical drag race) that combines the wing area rule with engine capacity and then dials in a weight penality tied to the engine capacity, standardises the engine rule for 4 strokes to 30 secs for all (my YS got 28 secs max).  What this does is make very competitive the "heavy" 65 so now we will be better able to mix the prop to get better balance between torque and RPM.  Just what the doctor ordered.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Anyone had rotator cuff surgery besides me? I had that done Nov. 9th and man it's a long recovery. Three full months or more of PT. Getting any sleep is the hardest thing since the surgery. Have to lay on my back mostly but even then the shoulder starts aching.

Lots of old timers here! Wishing all the gang a Merry Christmas ~

Ernie

The huge difference in total knee replacement recovery is the basically they want you to do as much weight bearing as possible ASAP.

I'm 10 days in & they atacted scar tissue/prosthesis adhesison therapy 2 days ago. What that amounts to is you lay on your stomach on a table & they flex your knee as far as you can stand it, go a little further & then hold it there for about 6 months. JK about the 6 months, more like 6 seconds, but it seems like forever.. Let's just say it gets quite "vocal".

The amazing thing is, there is no residual pain after the scar tissue is broken free. Once they let your leg return, there's no pain, amost relief. The old legs seems to flop back & forth a jot better after a session "on the rck".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32701.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1832350  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Pee off cougar blw is being a might stubborn.A 62 will cane a 56 any day since we were born.How's everyone doing?
How do you know I wouldn't say the same thing about the 62? Hobbsy keeps saying they are nice too. Still, beating the 56 for being the sweetheart Saito is a tall order.

Fnqflyer- good news about your son. I used to fly Army helicopters and you gotta take care of your crew chiefs (mechanics)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

earlwb

The only CH ignitions I have seen were the old ones with the mechanical advance setup on them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those work yet. everyone who brought out a airplane with engine setup like that had problems and couldn't get them to run right. But I didn't go over to see what the problems were. Anyway I am sure the new ones are great, I just haven't had a reason to get one yet. When one of my brand X ignitions quit working, then I'll consider getting a CH unit.

You mean you couldn't care less.

Ennyhoo, I have one of the early synchro-spark CH ignitions that I used on an early HC Saito 150 that liked to throw props. The magnet is installed in a phenolic ring mounted on the prop driver & the fixed pickup mounts on the cam cover. It worked like a charm. I ran that engine on gas all one summer with no probs. I've also seen a couple of the the mechanical advance CH units that worked well. What you have to remember is that a lot of DIY installations don't get done right.

CR
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
FNQFLYER

blw, thanks, my son has a tear old daughter to cnsider these days as well.  I am proud of hs service but I have to question the wisdom of it all when our government riped 5.6 billion out of the defence budget this year alone.  Re crew chiefs, I did some "contract work" for our govt. and "the company arline in Indochina in the late 60's and early 70's.  on Orion / P3b's, C47's and DC4's amongst others.l and I reckon I had very good relationships with my crews.  Remember the good ones and don't remember any "dickheads".  They tend to fade into obsecurity.  BTB we have a considerable number of you Yanks here in FNQ mostly ex Air Americia and SF types who have come here to retire.  I meet them through the O/T movement and of all things through my wifes fabric shop.
I'll try to get some photos of Saitos at play over the break.  If I saurvive.  Drove the cab last night and had a drugged up nutter pull a knife on me.  Sorted it out sort off, no help from the cops, though one young smart arese said I could be up on assault charges (if the idiot decides to press them) It seems I broke a couple of his fingers getting the knife away from him.  Seems we are supposed to let the cops sort these things out.Ah the spitit of Xmas, Id is JW, JB, XXXX, or what ever.  Just as well these people are outnumbered by the good ones huh.
Stay safe all and enjoy the festive season people and see you in the new year
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Drove the cab last night and had a drugged up nutter pull a knife on me. >>>

Scary stuff. Thank God you are okay.

SrTelemaster150, that is quite a scar! Best of luck with your therapy and Merry Christmas to all the gang.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Rudolph Hart

OK?? he's an aussie and you are right about sr's scar,could we post a low res photo first..and then if you really want a closer look you could go to hi res maybe and that's a big maybe.Picture reminded me of the ex handbrake so i got quite a fright,can you believe that?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Charley

earlwb

The only CH ignitions I have seen were the old ones with the mechanical advance setup on them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one of those work yet. everyone who brought out a airplane with engine setup like that had problems and couldn't get them to run right. But I didn't go over to see what the problems were. Anyway I am sure the new ones are great, I just haven't had a reason to get one yet. When one of my brand X ignitions quit working, then I'll consider getting a CH unit.

You mean you couldn't care less.

Ennyhoo, I have one of the early synchro-spark CH ignitions that I used on an early HC Saito 150 that liked to throw props. The magnet is installed in a phenolic ring mounted on the prop driver & the fixed pickup mounts on the cam cover. It worked like a charm. I ran that engine on gas all one summer with no probs. I've also seen a couple of the the mechanical advance CH units that worked well. What you have to remember is that a lot of DIY installations don't get done right.

CR

The beauty of the C&H CDI systems from the early Synchrospark on is thatnthey are so so easy to "get done right".

Most of the DIY CDI systems are cheap chinese kock-offs of the original Syncrospark module. The set-up for the hall sensor/trigger magnets is where the imitators have failed miserably.

Spend an extra $25 for the application specific C&H system, set up the spark in less than 1/2 & fly. No drilling, no grinding, no J-B Weld cobbled up mess.

That cheap knock-off CDI will take hours to set-up & it will be much harder to mkae fine adjustements once the system is running.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Quikturn

I know this may sacrilege, but I have an opportunity to buy a NIB OS FS56a for $200. How would this engine compare to a Saito 56 and 62? Does anyone have any experience with OS and Saito?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Cougar429

From my own experience between the OS 90 Surpass and the Saito 91, both provide adequate power for their intended craft, but the Saito always seemed the beefier of the two.

Personally, if I had that much to spend I would shop around for a Saito. Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

I know this may sacrilege, but I have an opportunity to buy a NIB OS FS56a for $200. How would this engine compare to a Saito 56 and 62? Does anyone have any experience with OS and Saito?
Great buy. I'd do it in a New York minute. O.S. makes some very fine engines. I cannot compare them directly as I own the OS 52 and a Saito 72.
John
Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
the pope

The ones Ive seen run well and have good power . Im also a OS fan but the only thing I dont like is theres no breather to squirt some aro in . Havind said that if I could get one for $200 Ide be all over it . Cheers the pope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.