Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by johnberriman
I'm sorry if I sounded rude Im just frustrated with the hole thing
Not rude at all but frustrated, most definitely. I get it, all too well. What you have to remember, when buying anything that's RTR, is that it's set up for a rank amateur, not someone with some knowledge or experience. With your knowledge of cars(all of which you said you "hopped up") you expected to get the same thing with the boat right out of the box. I can tell you that it's not that simple. I've been building boats for 38 years. Each one is different and, when I go back and look at the first two, they frustrated me to no end. They were kit boats, built per the instructions and, as I quickly learned, were overweight and underpowered. Neither of them ran worth a crap. It wasn't until I started building from plans that I found out what was wrong with the first two. Now, I'm redesigning plans and building boats as I see them, not as someone else does.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 PM
johnberriman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your totally right I expected way to much from out of the box I should know better If you want to go fast you have to spend some cash I built a couple of boats years ago one was a veebottom with a kNB 3.5 on it that boat was a whole bunch of fun I would start her up and let it rip the other was a swamp buggy dumas boat they still sell it to this day it had a thunder tiger .40 on it had lots of fun with it to but I definitely had some learning experience with them Thanks for reminding me of the Things we go threw playing with our big boy toys
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM
johnberriman

I wish I could get some electric guys to chime in on a good quality ESC I don't mind spending the money I just don't know much about the marine side of ESC
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I hate to say it but I thong I'll try running 4s batteries and see if heat goes way down but who wants to go slower thats no fun
BTW, going to lower voltage with the same prop will always be cooler because it draws far fewer amps. And no reason to hate 4S. The lower voltage with the same prop will give lower amp draw and speed, but you can gain some of it back with a larger prop. But, there is zero reason to re-invent the wheel with this boat, just go to the forum below, read the posts and ask your questions. Those folks (most of them anyway) will give you the best guidance based on real experience with that boat.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...shless-Q-amp-A

Last edited by Got RPM; 06-01-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:49 PM
johnberriman

Oh I'm not hating on 4s that's what I mainly play with on my other vehicles 6s is just too hard on parts but your right with the whole lower voltage bigger prop thing I will just have to experiment with things thats what this hobby is all about I appreciate all you information you have gave me too
Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I chimed in earlier about the electric side of things because some engineering things are fairly universal. I'm not really a fast boat person, preferring to relax for an hour or two rather than stoke my adrenalin for a few minutes. A look through the fast electric section on here might reveal the answers that you need.
Unless the manufacturer made a serious mistake, it is uncommon for fast models to be easily uprated at low cost. Usually, if it was a low or zero cost improvement, they would have done it. Of course, technology keeps moving, so what was state of the art for a given price a few years ago might be very different to todays offerings, so, within the limits of what the hull is capable of, an old design could be up-gradable.
The following users liked this post:
johnberriman (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:40 AM
johnberriman

And I appreciate your help very much too Im going to try and run her on 4s today and see if my Temps go down Im almost betting they will I think Im at the top of the stock speed control limits what kind of esc do you run in your stuff
Old 06-02-2020, 09:03 AM
johnberriman

Took my boat out this morning and ran it on 4s it was way slower than it was but it didn't get hot at all maybe a little warm but that's to be expected so I have come to realize that the stock ESC just isn't big enough for how I want to play qith it So I guess I'll be buying a bigger ESC thanks to all that helped me with my issue
Old 06-04-2020, 04:17 AM
johnberriman

Hydro junky did you see my post about switching from 6s to 4s that cured my heat problem you can run her all day on 4s and she barely even gets warm so I'm assuming that the stock esc just isn't big enough to handle the 6s for more than a couple of minutes so I have ordered a knew ESC its the seal series 200 amp I got it from OSE it should be here in a couple of days Oh plus my stock prop was 42 mm I put a 44mm one on it I got form OSE took it out again yesterday and ran to complete 4s packs threw it and she didn't even get close to hot so I'm think that Ill buy another couple of props maybe even a 3 blade prop and see if I cant gain some speed back when I get the knew ESC installed I post another update thanks to all that help me it was greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Yes, I saw the results of the battery swap, glad to read that it made a difference. Now we need to see some video of your boat "screaming" across the pond
Old 06-04-2020, 11:53 AM
johnberriman

I can do that
Old 06-05-2020, 03:16 AM
johnberriman

Got a question for you out there I have a futaba 4pls and several extra receivers how do I go about water proofing a receiver so I can use my good radio instead of the ones that come with the ready to run stuff not saying there bad just not as comfortable as my futaba
Old 06-05-2020, 06:37 AM
mfr02

A squirt of CorrosionX on the inside through the plug holes followed by an agitation to spread it around followed by giving it a chance to drain the excess works for me. Not getting any on the outside is vital because that then gets on your fingers, which spread it everywhere, and it is very persistent stuff.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:41 AM
johnberriman

Thanks buddy have a good day
Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 AM
johnberriman

Were do I find that product automotive store
Old 06-05-2020, 06:47 AM
johnberriman

Nevermind I found it thank for the help
Old 06-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

We also use Corrosion X as an after run in nitro boats. Makes it a bit harder to start on the next initial run but it does keep the motor from corroding.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM
johnberriman

Bought me a knew esc it is a ZTW sealseries 200 amp my question is does it have to have cap soldered to the battery leads on the esc it already has 6 of them on top of it that came installed the original one has caps installed on it to bit there were also caps soldered on the esc battery wires
Old 06-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

That's one I can't answer as I don't really know. I guess that's why I run nitro and gas boats
Old 06-05-2020, 08:08 PM
johnberriman

Maybe be mfr02 can answer that question I guess I could always ask ose they will know being thats where I got it from
Old 06-05-2020, 10:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm just glad we(and that means everyone that's posted in this thread) have helped work out the issues
Old 06-06-2020, 12:22 AM
mfr02

Personally I don't go near that kind of power as a hobby, so anything I throw in is pure guesswork and general principles rather than experience. The advertising pictures are not much help.
If the battery wires are bare ends, you get the choice of what fitting you use to match up to the connector on your battery. They will need to be meaty and rated for the expected current.
Just looked at the cost of that ESC. About the full budget for any one of my recent projects. Probably why I like my sail and scale boats.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:23 AM
johnberriman

Yes you all have been a huge help to me And like I said before to want to go fast you got to spend some cash but I greatly appreciate all the help I have gotten Im not sure why I didn't join this forum until now but its nice have other guys to chat with about our big boy toys
Old 06-08-2020, 08:53 AM
jsmoooth25

Hey have a Kyosho Blade Runner 101R. I changed my motor from a 15x2 to a Orion Revolution ORI29080 13x2. The problem I am having is my batteries get hot where they melt the shrink wrap on them. The motor and ESC are both cool to touch. I am running a LRP IPC pro sport digital ECS. I am still running the stock 2 blade prop, I am thinking after reading the comments on here, this might be my culprit. Have any idea what prop I should try to eliminate this battery heat.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 AM
johnberriman

What batteries are you running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.