Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:32 AM
jsmoooth25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnberriman
What batteries are you running
This happens when I run my 7.2v Ni-Mh in about the first 5 minutes. It happened when I ran the 7.4v 5200mah 35c lipo as well, it just took about 15 minutes to heat it up and separate the plastic housing. thank you

Jason
Old 06-08-2020, 09:41 AM
johnberriman

I'm running 6s on my boat well Im trying to if I run mine on 4s I can play with it the whole four min without any issues at all but The min I try and throw 6s at it is when all my heat problems start so I purchased a knew 200 amp esc Im working on getting it installed today so I can go try it on 6s and see if the knew esc will fix my problems the littlest battery I have run is a 4s and I have no problems that way
Old 06-08-2020, 09:42 AM
johnberriman

How many amps is the esc that you are using
Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 AM
johnberriman

I did have one fellow on here tell me that its not so much about the amps is the run time if you say your running for 15 min thats a long time I would totally expect things to get hot after that long
Old 06-08-2020, 09:51 AM
johnberriman

Does your batteries have super long wires on them the shorter the better
Old 06-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds to me like he's pulling more amps than the batteries can handle. He may need to switch to a higher "C" rating.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM
johnberriman

I'm pretty sure you will know the answer trying to put a prop wash pick up on the boat for some better cooling where does it go exactly in the middle where the nut is or does it go to the out side of the prop
Old 06-08-2020, 02:49 PM
johnberriman

This is for all my fellow boaters I have a sonicwake replaced the stock servo with a savox 1230mg servo tonight and didn't think to check the height of the servo (tall) put it in my boat got all done flipped it over wiping it all off and noticed the servo poking out the bottom of the boat Thank goodness it didn't rip or poke a hole in it I guess what I'm saying is make sure of all your dimensions of your stuff before you get all excited and put the stuff in I got lucky that it didn't ruin my hull
Old 06-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm pretty sure you will know the answer trying to put a prop wash pick up on the boat for some better cooling where does it go exactly in the middle where the nut is or does it go to the out side of the prop
You put it behind the prop blades, off to the side. If you put it behind the nut, you're putting it in what I refer to as a dead zone. In the area behind the nut, there isn't any water due to it all being pushed aside by the stinger. If you off set it to behind the blades, you're now going to have the prop blades push the water into the pick up. My question for you is , with rudder you installed, with its twin water pick ups, why do you need to add another pick up? I use a rudder with a single pick up and it works fine on my nitro boat, almost too good in fact.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-08-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:42 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A much earler question was about the water feed. In a string, with the water cooling the motor then the ESC, effectively the motor is pre-heating the ESC coolant. Fairly obviously, not good. Splitting the feed so that each gets cool water is better. Quite possibly, having two separate water circuits should be even better provided that both get good flow.
Hot batteries are due to too much being asked of them. They store and produce electric energy by means of a chemical reaction. Both charging and discharging, the reaction produces heat. The more current is involved, the more heat is generated. As a guide, LiPo batteries carry a C rating. You multiply this by the A/H rating of the battery and you get the maximum current that the battery should survive. As a forinstance, a 4AH, 30C battery can deliver 120A until it has discharged. In theory, anyway.
Pre-Lithium, C ratings didn't get mentioned, because the systems that were being used didn't go that far and NiCad and NiMH batteries were not as temperamental. Lithium packs a lot more power into a much smaller package, you really don't want it to be released all at once because you want electric energy coming out via the wires, not hot chemical components coming out sideways, so C ratings have become important.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:17 AM
jsmoooth25

Default Hot batteries

My bladerunner boat is heating up the batteries. This started right after I went to a 13x2 motor. I believe I need to change from the stock prop. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

...The problem I am having is my batteries get hot where they melt the shrink wrap on them. The motor and ESC are both cool to touch. I am running a LRP IPC pro sport digital ECS. I am still running the stock 2 blade prop, I am thinking after reading the comments on here, this might be my culprit. Have any idea what prop I should try to eliminate this battery heat.
What temperatures are your motor, ESC and pack? If the motor is cool, then is it 75*? Is the cool ESC running at 65*?

If the motor and ESC are not hot, then the problem is your battery. Either its C rating is too low, or its capacity is too low, or both. It has too much internal resistance for the amps you are drawing....or you are running too long for the capacity of the pack. Exactly what packs are you running - brand, type, C rating and capacity? How many milliamps are you putting back in when you charge them?

Last edited by Got RPM; 06-10-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 PM
jsmoooth25

So it will do it to any battery I put in it. The lipo took a lot longer for it too happen, but I ran on and off on the lipo for at least 15min. The lipo cause could've been too long of a runtime. All started with new motor. I dont know the temperature of motor or ecs all I can say is the are cool to touch when I am done never close to hot.

batteries
black label 2 Nimh 7.2 volt pack
lectron pro 7.4volt 5200mah 35c
Old 06-11-2020, 12:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmoooth25
My bladerunner boat is heating up the batteries. This started right after I went to a 13x2 motor. I believe I need to change from the stock prop. Any suggestions?
Either the prop is overloading the motor, or the motor is overloading the battery, or both. Scroll back and see the earlier replies.
The following users liked this post:
jsmoooth25 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:51 AM
jsmoooth25

Does your batteries have super long wires on them the shorter the better
they are about 3inches long.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:38 PM
johnberriman

Old 06-11-2020, 12:43 PM
johnberriman

Got my esc installed this morning took her out for a rip That 200amp esc is the stuff Ran the whole four min pretty much wide open the whole time until it got wild then I slowed her down The esc got a little warm but nothing at all two worry about you could probably run two sets of batteries threw it before you let her kool off Got to say didnt know much about the Seal series esc but I like her so far It did what I wanted Thats to go fast yee haww
Old 06-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay then, WE NEED TO SEE A VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing better for some of us than to see our advice working out
Old 06-11-2020, 02:22 PM
johnberriman

Going here in a little while to run again Ill take video then I will have to figure out how to upload video
Old 06-11-2020, 02:31 PM
johnberriman

The only bad thing I have to say about the knew esc is it fit in there perfect like it was made for it So I should have known then That something would be off Its got the self righting a little off it takes a little bit longer for it to flip back over but it does finally when it flipped the first time I was like ok no problem but then it just sat there I was like oh crap but then it started to flip over so then I brought it in took it out of the water and threw it in upside-down just to see what it did and to the same effect it just took longer
Old 06-11-2020, 03:57 PM
johnberriman

Hydro junkie It won't let me upload video send me you email and I'll send it too you maybe you can upload it and put it on here
Old 06-12-2020, 06:09 AM
johnberriman

Does anybody on here know how to upload videos of your boat running
Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 AM
johnberriman

Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

I've never uploaded a video per se', just posted links to some and had the video come up. Have you tried hitting the advanced tab at the bottom of the reply box? There is a tab that says "manage attachments" under the reply box that might let you upload a video.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:48 AM
johnberriman

If you send me your email I'll send the video to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.