Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:33 AM
bigducket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Golden Arrow awaits

I decided to sell my Arrow. Fully working with most decals undamaged, all it needs are batteries. Search the "world's largest auction site." Any questions please ask!
Jamesjl33
Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Rmreising

Default Wheels and tires

Rebuilding a golden arrow and need new wheels and tires. Local hobby shops don't have anything that will fit. Any suggestions and where to get wheels and tires or how to modify the car to fit today's standards?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 AM
korreka

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can place a Tamiya Frog / Hornet rear tires with a 38mm rim (1.6").
The rim of golden Arrow, Red Arrow or Nikko Thunderbolt (is the same) is 50mm.
The tire is flexible and can be placed.

For the Front tires: Tamiya Frog / Hornet front tires with a 40mm rim or Pro-Line Edge Front Tires (Associated RC10) with 50mm rim (1.9")

Tires for vintage RC Buggies: reparar-cochesrc.blogspot.com.es/p/neumaticos-antiguos.html

Originally Posted by Rmreising
Rebuilding a golden arrow and need new wheels and tires. Local hobby shops don't have anything that will fit. Any suggestions and where to get wheels and tires or how to modify the car to fit today's standards?
Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 PM
sugarbear7

It's 2019 and the thread is still going!

I helped my mom clean out her attic and found my sweet Golden Arrow from 30 years ago. Man, the waves of nostalgia.

I bought a new battery and used it's leftover charge to run it... my son got to drive it!

Unfortunately the radio is malfunctioning so I've ordered hobby grade ESC, servo, motor, transmitter, battery charger, servo saver, bearings, tires and some tools I might need and I'm gonna tackle the conversion. All should be here by the weekend so I hope I get her up and running soon!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:32 AM
trueimport
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As the original poster of this thread it blows my mind that this little RC is as widely accepted as it is. I can't believe that you guys have kept the love going in this thread for this many years!! WOW!
Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Yellow355F1

9 years this thread has been active. Not every day, but it is still getting replys. Hard to believe it was that long ago! The Golden Arrow was a really good retail class RC, you'd be hard pressed to find one built as well on the saturated market today. Good to see one more found.

As far as adding modern power, I would use a mild motor. Mine stripped it's trans on the original motor, but mine may have just had a defect? As the one I saw converted seemed to do just fine, though it only had a 27T truck spec motor. Would like to see the builds completion when you are done with the conversion.

Have gone back to reread the thread. Now I remember why you don't want too hot of a motor. Trueimport did a wild setup that blew the casing of the trans casing! Been a while since I read about it, but now remember why to go mild not wild!!

Last edited by Yellow355F1; 02-26-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: To more info to post
Old 04-19-2019, 04:39 PM
VonZipper65

Great that to see that I'm not alone in my interest in these old Radio Shack cars after all this time! I've go three survivor's from my days working at Radio Shack from 1991-93 timeframe. I've still got the original boxes for each of them. I've go the Golden Arrow, Black Phantom and Offroad Tiger. The Phantom is in mint condition and they've all stood up well despite being stored in the attic all these years! I took them down from the attic and tested them all today. They all still run but the rear Tires of the Offroad Tiger are shot: hard as rocks!

I've been looking around for a set of replacement rear tires for the Offroad Tiger or Golden Arrow (They're the same tire). Anybody, know where I might be able to find a pair of replacement tires?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM
VonZipper65

Default Still Going

Originally Posted by sugarbear7
It's 2019 and the thread is still going!

I helped my mom clean out her attic and found my sweet Golden Arrow from 30 years ago. Man, the waves of nostalgia.

I bought a new battery and used it's leftover charge to run it... my son got to drive it!

Unfortunately the radio is malfunctioning so I've ordered hobby grade ESC, servo, motor, transmitter, battery charger, servo saver, bearings, tires and some tools I might need and I'm gonna tackle the conversion. All should be here by the weekend so I hope I get her up and running soon!
SugarBear7,

I just got my Golden Arrow down from the attic after 25 years too! Initially, it didn't respond at all: no steering and no motor. First, I removed the cover off the car and sprayed contact cleaner on the circuit board and buttoned it back up. It started to work, correctly but was behaving erratically: intermittently steering and cycling the motor on and off all on it's own while sitting still with no input from me. I opened up the transmitter case and sprayed contact cleaner on the contacts inside including the gimbals. I've ran it with a 1800 mah battery I had for about 7 or 8 minutes without any further problems. Then, I bought a Traxxas 3600mah Nimh Battery and ran it for 15 minutes and, again, it performed flawlessly. Needless to say, I was very pleased how just a little contact cleaner cleared up the whole problem! Might be worth a shot for yours...

Anyway, Enjoy and Good luck! I'm having a blast with mine... again!

Last edited by VonZipper65; 04-19-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 PM
mzimme14

Newbie here... love that I came across a Golden Arrow thread. Pulled these two out of my parents basement as they were cleaning up. These were presents to my brother and I 30 or so years ago. I need to get it rolling again, but don't have a radio, and the Band 1, and Band 2 don't state the frequency. What do I need to control these bad boys? Would prefer something I can change out if possible for other RC toys in the future. Budget cheap if possible.

Also need tires, and I guess wheels too? I've read some posts in this thread but the links are all dead and not really sure where to get the wheel/tire combo I'm looking for. I also probably need to get a different antenna. The old wire coat hanger might be past due for replacement. Is electric dog fence wire sufficient you think? Where can I get a "straw" to hold it up in the air?

Thanks all for any help you can provide. Man, this should be fun.

Can't post photos yet I guess... but I have two GA's, but no radio.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Rm7018

Default Wow

Stumbled across some golden arrows on eBay and HAD to relive my childhood, so one is on the way, paid @$75 with shipping...
Then stumbled across this thread and read all 9 years worth of posts....hood info.

So it’s on the way and depending on how it runs, I’m already contemplating upgrading the motor etc to a newer set up.

Also bought a Radio Shack Audi quattto,slow as hell, NEEDS modern motor etc...so starting with that I’ll likely be back with questions when the GA arrives.

Awesome to see so many people with fond memories of this little buggy....

Old 09-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Patblkwell

I am reading the threads about the golden arrows and I'm looking at purchasing one. You may be able to answer this, but can you drive this thing slow then accelerate to full speed or is it all full speed or nothing at all? I thought I read that somewhere. Thanks
Old 01-26-2020, 07:09 PM
CaptainGrumpus

Default 31 years later and I have a Golden Arrow again

Paid around $90 shipped for a fully functioning GA with original battery and charger on eBay. New battery and new charger are first on the list. Crazy request but what can I use for an antenna tube replacement. The wire seems fine but the plastic tube is bent.

This thread is invaluable for upgrade and part replacement info. Not sure how deep I want to go down this rabbit hole to relive a time in my youth.

One issue I’m having is that the On/Off switch is a bit temperamental. I gotta move it around a bit for it to engage properly. Gonna try some contact cleaner to clean it up. Hoping that fixes it.

Happy to keep this 10 year old thread alive!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 AM
CaptainGrumpus

Originally Posted by mzimme14
Newbie here... love that I came across a Golden Arrow thread. Pulled these two out of my parents basement as they were cleaning up. These were presents to my brother and I 30 or so years ago. I need to get it rolling again, but don't have a radio, and the Band 1, and Band 2 don't state the frequency. What do I need to control these bad boys? Would prefer something I can change out if possible for other RC toys in the future. Budget cheap if possible.

Also need tires, and I guess wheels too? I've read some posts in this thread but the links are all dead and not really sure where to get the wheel/tire combo I'm looking for. I also probably need to get a different antenna. The old wire coat hanger might be past due for replacement. Is electric dog fence wire sufficient you think? Where can I get a "straw" to hold it up in the air?

Thanks all for any help you can provide. Man, this should be fun.

Can't post photos yet I guess... but I have two GA's, but no radio.

did you ever find the tube? I’m looking for one myself.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:11 PM
CaptainGrumpus

Originally Posted by cmarti
Hopefully there is someone still reading this thread.

I got a full bearing kit for my Golden Arrow but need help on how to open the rear transaxle so I can install the bearings.

Can anyone help me here?
what was the full bearing kit you bought? Was it for the Grasshopper??
Old 02-10-2020, 05:38 PM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a Nikko Rhino buggy in red. Its definately a cool car to have some fun with. Back in the day anything with a 540 motor, especially something RTR, was quite fast and powerful. My friend in grade school had the golden arrow and I had a Hornet. The Golden Arrow was right there with the Hornet, maybe the Hornet had a slight edge in speed but nothing really by much. I actually thought the Golden Arrow had less front end bounce and tracked better than the Hornet over bumps IMO. It was pretty sturdy too i can recall. Also, you could get replacement parts for it at Radio Shack. Support at our local Radio Shack in Parsippany NJ was good. Thinking it was like 1988 ish...
Old 02-10-2020, 05:39 PM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the exploded diagram for the Rhino buggy, i can upload it for you...
Old 02-11-2020, 08:49 PM
Overvolted

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Golden Arrow

I found this thread while reasearching some parts for my Golden Arrow and had to joun RCU to say thank you to all who contributed to this thread as it helped me get it going again and then some!!!

I got mine in a trade in about 1989 with the rapid charger, some tires and a multi tool. i kicked the crap out of it for ten years before moving across the country. I couldnt take much but this rc car made the trip with me. In about 2001 I picked up a new 7.2 NiCd and would run the car on and off for another 6 or 7 years untill I let a friend drive it and he put it into a curb, broke the front bumper and stripped a gear in the rear diff. I ran it a couple more times and then put it away cause I didnt want to totally kill it.
Fast foward to Sept 2019 and my 6yo daughter wants to get into RC so I figured id see if I could get it going. It was rough to say the least, the Tx still worked but was roached as I had broken both sticks and replaced them with screws rather crudely and an atenna from an old cd player decades ago. After reading this thread I came up with a plan, I went with a brushed esc, steering servo from my HPI parts box, new diff gears, diff bearings, oil damped shocks all around, an old Tx and. Rx, a new front bumper, new three piece wheels and tires, added a driver in the cockpit and a couple new batteries to go with the old one that sill holds a decent charge.
Its a little too fast for my daughter so I got her a 1/24 truck for now. I am having a blast driving this buggy again and im glad I kept it all these years. Its filthy now so I will clean it up and post some pics of it. Its still running the graphics that 13yo me put on it and although cheezy they are staying.
Thank again to all who contributed to this thread and got me rolling!!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Look What I Found

Wow, I just found my old Golden Arrow frame buggy from years ago as my wife and I were cleaning.

I have too many hobbies now and would love to sell this to a new home. She's in very good condition and still has some "knobs" on the rear tires. The shocks work very well. I have the original buggy, controller and battery charger. The only things that I can see that need replacement are the buggy and controller antennae.

Is there an interest out there?

Thanks very much.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM
CaptainGrumpus

Originally Posted by Look What I Found
Wow, I just found my old Golden Arrow frame buggy from years ago as my wife and I were cleaning.

I have too many hobbies now and would love to sell this to a new home. She's in very good condition and still has some "knobs" on the rear tires. The shocks work very well. I have the original buggy, controller and battery charger. The only things that I can see that need replacement are the buggy and controller antennae.

Is there an interest out there?

Thanks very much.
how much are you asking for it? Any
pics?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Look What I Found

Originally Posted by CaptainGrumpus
how much are you asking for it? Any
pics?
Let me take a few pics. Not sure about fair pricing. Let me take a look at eBay.

Thanks for replying.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Look What I Found

I just sent a number of pictures.

Looks like the price range is between $60 and $120. I'd split the difference at $90.

In the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Tyler1312

Default GA clicking when motor running

Ok I’m re writing all this because attaching pics fails as a first time poster.

TLDR this time: Got my car out and fixed some broken wires/soldering. Runs great but “clicks” loudly moving forward and more so moving backwards. If I rotate the axels by hand together it sounds like I get the click once per rotation. I’m assuming it’s maybe a broken tooth on a gear in the differential. Sound right?
I bought a new motor so I assume I need to take the whole back end apart. I’m finding the compression rings ( bushings) don’t come off at all easily on the rear pivot shaft. If I knock this thing out as the instructions suggest in the book can I put it back in (presumably with new bushings)? The instructions also mention installing a “pivot shaft set” which I can’t find one when searching hornet stuff. Only a front set. Anyone have experience taking apart the whole back end on their GA? I’d love some advice.

great thread guys!

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler1312; 05-18-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Fixing
Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Tyler1312

Default Also replacement motor.

I bought a new motor before taking out the old which still works. The old motor has a huge gear attached to the shaft. The new one doesn’t have this. I’m assuming I need to buy a new gear? I’d post pics but I think I need ten posts first. So here’s number two.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Overvolted

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler1312
I bought a new motor before taking out the old which still works. The old motor has a huge gear attached to the shaft. The new one doesn’t have this. I’m assuming I need to buy a new gear? I’d post pics but I think I need ten posts first. So here’s number two.
Did you ever get the pinion gear? Im looking for the gear tooth pitch.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Clodbusterfan

Anyone know where I can get upgraded shocks for my Golden Arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.