Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 PM
BCCrackDaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for replacement Rear Tires for my GA. I've read through the entire thread, and there's been a lot of talk about Tamiya Hornet Tires. While I see lots of these on E-Bay, I'm wondering if there are any other options.

I put in a 21T motor, and when driving on pavement I've gone through my stock tires in no time. I'm looking for something more durable than the stock tires. Can someone possibly recommend any options for me? In terms of replacment Hornet Tires, If I went this route, do I also need to buy them already attached to rims, or is it easy to take the stock tires off the stock rims, and glue the new tires to the stock rims..

If there are other (more modern) tire options for me, please let me know.

FInally if anyone knows the tire and rim measurements of the stock GA that would also be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,
BCCrackDaddy
Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 PM
cmarti

Originally Posted by BCCrackDaddy
Looking for replacement Rear Tires for my GA. I've read through the entire thread, and there's been a lot of talk about Tamiya Hornet Tires. While I see lots of these on E-Bay, I'm wondering if there are any other options.

I put in a 21T motor, and when driving on pavement I've gone through my stock tires in no time. I'm looking for something more durable than the stock tires. Can someone possibly recommend any options for me? In terms of replacment Hornet Tires, If I went this route, do I also need to buy them already attached to rims, or is it easy to take the stock tires off the stock rims, and glue the new tires to the stock rims..

If there are other (more modern) tire options for me, please let me know.

FInally if anyone knows the tire and rim measurements of the stock GA that would also be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,
BCCrackDaddy
You can use Tamiya Hornet or Grasshopper tires but you also need to replace the wheels because of the way the tires mount to the wheels.

I do not know the measurements of the tires but you can find the original ones on eBay.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:40 PM
BCCrackDaddy

It looks like the stock GA wheels are 1.9" can I just take the original stock tires off the stock rims, and find any other 1.9" tires and stick them on the stock rims?..

Can you elaborate why I need the Tamiya wheels if I get Tamiya tires? (i.e. the way the tires mount to the wheels?)

thanks for the info
Old 08-27-2015, 07:20 PM
cmarti

Originally Posted by BCCrackDaddy
It looks like the stock GA wheels are 1.9" can I just take the original stock tires off the stock rims, and find any other 1.9" tires and stick them on the stock rims?..

Can you elaborate why I need the Tamiya wheels if I get Tamiya tires? (i.e. the way the tires mount to the wheels?)

thanks for the info
You would have to try other tires and see what is the end result.

The Tamiya tires are trapped and secured in place by the wheels which consist of three parts. Also you need screws to hold everything together.

Go back a couple of paged and zoom in to the wheels of my Golden Arrow and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM
BCCrackDaddy

alternatively, can I swap out the axle to something more modern that will accept hex wheels? or would that require swapping out the entire gear box?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM
BCCrackDaddy

CMarti.. Ok I checked out all your posts in this thread..

Firstly Great Mod!...

So I see you have some different wheels (with hex nut on the axles): http://s646.photobucket.com/user/cjm...ml?sort=3&o=21

how did you do this? did you remove the stock plastic piece on the axle and just install the hex nut directly to the stock axle? This is exactly what I would like to do, than I can slap on more modern 2.2 wheels and tires..

Also for my future mod considerations, can you kindly list a detailed parts list that you swapped in to your car? (i.e. servo, ESC, 2.4ghz etc..etc..) approximately How much did the mods cost you?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Arrowdriver321

So yeah, call it luck, fate, or coincidence, Radio Shack hit it out of the park with the Golden Arrow. It has weaknesses and believe me I have found them, like the cheesy transmission cases that shatter on contact with well anything significant. I drove my first one until the weels fell off and the chassis was more JB Weld than plastic. I haven't seen a more evil looking buggy, looks like Vader, love it. People are starting to let them go and pretty cheap at that, I just rebuilt one using the parts from a couple others. Happy wheelin!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM
nat65

These are great cars. Sleek-looking and fun. I just sold one on Ebay. I have another that needs work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	goldenarrow_40.jpg
Views:	1438
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2156077  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Beaver5150

Here I go again.
I haven't had one of these Nikko/RS cars for about 20 years, and I just won one on EBay for $35 complete with Tx. It should be more interesting this time around due to advances in RC tech and lower prices. I've had several different variants of this same basic Nikko frame, last one being a RS model with monster truck size rear tires as standard equipment. The one I just ordered from EBay is the Sagitta (Fighting Spirit) which was an RS model same as one I had before. It seemed to be the best of all the different ones I've had, especially with all ball bearings and a Dynamite motor added on.
This "new" one looks to have aftermarket wheels and possibly bearings already. No matter if it doesn't.... it will soon enough. I fly an Align 450 clone, so I already have some 2S/2450mAh LiPo's I can use on the car after I add a Dean's plug.
...... here I go again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4806_IMG_20160506_111200.jpg
Views:	1594
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2164020  
Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 AM
[email protected]

Hello everyone. My golden arrow needs some help! The wire antenna is broken inside the shell and the car drives crazy just a few feet away from the transmitter. I need to buy another antenna and solder it to the board but don't know where to buy the antenna wire at and how long it needs to be. I love this car and want to fix it. I know its a 26.995mhz. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
cmarti

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hello everyone. My golden arrow needs some help! The wire antenna is broken inside the shell and the car drives crazy just a few feet away from the transmitter. I need to buy another antenna and solder it to the board but don't know where to buy the antenna wire at and how long it needs to be. I love this car and want to fix it. I know its a 26.995mhz. Thanks in advance.
You don't need an special antenna, any insulated copper cable will do
Old 09-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Beaver5150

BTW.... Since I posted a few months ago about getting the Sagitta (GA variant), I ran it on 3S Lipo a few times till I popped a MOSFET transistor on the board. The old original MOSFETs are impossible to find and not worth looking for with the modern equivalents being far better. The originals couldn't have been rated for more than 30 or 40 amps and with them in parallel, maybe 80A maximum. The ones I used came from a junked out 450 sized coaxial heli, and turns out they are rated 75A each for a total of 150A in parallel as on the GA/Sagitta board. I haven't tried 3S (11.1v) again yet, but the thing is running fine at normal 2S (7.4v). I can pop the top off the Sagitta and get the part numbers for those MOSFETs if anyone is interested. They are direct replacements.... no mods needed.

Last edited by Beaver5150; 09-06-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 AM
cmarti

Originally Posted by Beaver5150
BTW.... Since I posted a few months ago about getting the Sagitta (GA variant), I ran it on 3S Lipo a few times till I popped a MOSFET transistor on the board.
I think you were supposed to remove the original electronics to then install hobby grade ones
Old 09-07-2016, 03:55 AM
[email protected]

cmarti, what is the exact total length it should be since I know that plays a part into how it drives? Thank you so much!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:01 AM
cmarti

cmarti, what is the exact total length it should be since I know that plays a part into how it drives? Thank you so much!
As long as you like that doesn't affect anything, the stock radio reach is poor anyways. Perhaps 10 feet away from you the most? That is why I install a 2.4ghz radio system on all my PC cars.

This is what I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1720547...&ul_noapp=true
Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 AM
[email protected]

cmarti, I am sorry but I am referring to the length of the antenna wire when I replace my broken one. I would like to stay with original but I may try that radio system if this does not work. Can you also sent me an ebay link to the correct antenna wire? I am new to this. Thank you again.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM
cmarti

cmarti, I am sorry but I am referring to the length of the antenna wire when I replace my broken one. I would like to stay with original but I may try that radio system if this does not work. Can you also sent me an ebay link to the correct antenna wire? I am new to this. Thank you again.
Sorry, the original antenna is not something you can buy new, what I am saying is that you can use any cable instead. When I replace the radio system I use the antenna that comes with the FlySky receiver which is shorter than the original.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 PM
rctoymemories

Originally Posted by cmarti
As long as you like that doesn't affect anything, the stock radio reach is poor anyways. Perhaps 10 feet away from you the most?
Stock radio reach of the Golden Arrow is way further than 10 feet. It's more like 20 metres or more.

Another thing to note for anyone doing modifications - they're ok to do if you want to experiment and change the car. But for collectors, a car in original condition is always going to be vastly preferred. Modifications will affect value (mostly negatively), so just be mindful of whether you will want to sell the car in the future.

About the antenna - cmarti is right in that a replacement insulated wire similar to the original (which you should be able to find at any electronics parts store) should be enough to get it to work.

Original antenna cords were never sold as parts as far as I know. But for those looking for other Golden Arrow spare parts... parts were definitely made available and sold by Radio Shack, but not at retail - they were more "order only" items. But they actually came in bags and even had their own parts instruction sheets (e.g. a sheet showing you how to replace the tyres). I have NIP tyre sets and a body set.

But they are pretty rare, so if you ever see them for sale on eBay, you will have to be quick to get them.

Last edited by rctoymemories; 09-14-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:09 PM
dman247

hey guys
i am new to this site so bare with me
I have been searching like crazy on how to remove the main axle bolts on a golden arrow(front and back)The book that it comes with shows a pic to hitting it somehow with a hammer ( no words only images...worse then ikea) this breaks a pressure fitting around the shaft.....never done this before and i have no idea what to do when i need to reassemble it later
could someone walk me through this or point me in the direction.....search a bunch of site, youtube and google. I may be using the wrong names or terminology but I am new to woking on cars...just started playing with it again (1st time since i was 12yrs) Loved this car back then but never worked on it.
thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM
cmarti

Originally Posted by dman247
hey guys
i am new to this site so bare with me
I have been searching like crazy on how to remove the main axle bolts on a golden arrow(front and back)The book that it comes with shows a pic to hitting it somehow with a hammer ( no words only images...worse then ikea) this breaks a pressure fitting around the shaft.....never done this before and i have no idea what to do when i need to reassemble it later
could someone walk me through this or point me in the direction.....search a bunch of site, youtube and google. I may be using the wrong names or terminology but I am new to woking on cars...just started playing with it again (1st time since i was 12yrs) Loved this car back then but never worked on it.
thanks in advance
I use a press and a center punch, you need to remove one of the compression rings which keep the axle case halves together.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:02 AM
dman247

hey cmarti
thanks for the quick response,
as i said i have been searching around the net a bunch and have run into your stuff a number of places...great job on the upgrade on your GA...I am aiming to do the same thing and would appreciate any info or ideas. I was putting together a parts list and reading about what to buy for an ESC, radio, shocks and motor, BUT first i have to figure out how to get the car apart

so i smash or cut the compression ring and then punch the axle out one side?
what do i do to replace the compression ring once it is off ( i assume it is trashed) ?

do you have anymore detailed lists on what you have done, bought, and resource (reading material/site) to refer me to

thanks again man
Old 11-19-2016, 10:14 AM
cmarti

Originally Posted by dman247
so i smash or cut the compression ring and then punch the axle out one side?
what do i do to replace the compression ring once it is off ( i assume it is trashed) ?

do you have anymore detailed lists on what you have done, bought, and resource (reading material/site) to refer me to

thanks again man
The ring just slides off, don't smash or cut anything, hit the pin with a center punch and the ring will slide out. I did this on a work bench.

No list of parts, just get an aftermarket 1/10 servo, a brushless motor and ESC if you want to upgrade from brushed and a radio system. For the bearings use the ones which come for the Tamiya Grasshopper. Do one thing at a time, don't rush and come back for help if needed.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:49 PM
DAMCars

I just picked up a golden arrow for $35. The car is in good condition. I took it apart, cleaned the whole thing and bought a new battery/charger. Unfortunately the transmitter is trashed, it looks like a battery or two exploded inside. I havent pulled the trigger on a replacement yet because I wasn't sure whether or not I could use any 27.045mhz radio. Can someone confirm? I may eventually upgrade everything to a modern setup but want to run the car stock first.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:20 PM
cmarti

Originally Posted by DAMCars
I just picked up a golden arrow for $35. The car is in good condition. I took it apart, cleaned the whole thing and bought a new battery/charger. Unfortunately the transmitter is trashed, it looks like a battery or two exploded inside. I havent pulled the trigger on a replacement yet because I wasn't sure whether or not I could use any 27.045mhz radio. Can someone confirm? I may eventually upgrade everything to a modern setup but want to run the car stock first.
There should be a sticker underneath which says which band your car is.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 PM
DAMCars

Yup it's band 2 which = 27.045

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.