Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PREACHHAMES
Great idea Tip22v . . . I will be taking mine apart tomorrow

Thank you!
As I noted in the video, keep a close eye out on those little shims, they are slippery little devils -Tom
Old 01-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

The Tip22v JP brake mod complete!

Tip22v I finally got around to making the JP brake mod on my FW F-4. They work great on the table. Hope to flight test next weekend.

Your video was outstanding and a great guide. Then only thing I had trouble with was the getting out the set screws in the brake hub. The factory thread locker had them glued in hard. I used a soldering gun to heat the screw to finally got the set screws to turn. After that it was all easy.

Great tip. Thanks, Gary
Old 01-28-2021, 11:18 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
The Tip22v JP brake mod complete!

Tip22v I finally got around to making the JP brake mod on my FW F-4. They work great on the table. Hope to flight test next weekend.

Your video was outstanding and a great guide. Then only thing I had trouble with was the getting out the set screws in the brake hub. The factory thread locker had them glued in hard. I used a soldering gun to heat the screw to finally got the set screws to turn. After that it was all easy.

Great tip. Thanks, Gary
Outstanding! Let us know how they work for you.

I have recently started using a DigiTech brake controller that allows me to adjust braking on each wheel, from my Jeti transmitter. I simply check the brakes while taxing out for take-off, make small adjustments as needed and when I engage brakes on landing I get even braking on both wheels.

Thanks for the tip using the soldering iron to loosen the set screws, I have friend who is having difficulty getting them loose. I primarily use the v2 version of the brakes, which don’t have the set screws. -Tom

Last edited by Tip22v; 01-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Viper1GJ and Tip22v,

I did the mod on my wheels/brakes but also added the AG63 Gyro Assisted Brake Controller that comes as standard equipment on AeroFoam turbine jets.

Take off rolls and braking after touch down are straight as an arrow regardless of speed . . . well worth the $.

https://globaljet.club/collections/g...jet-brake-gyro

Greg Hames
AMA #8130

Old 01-28-2021, 06:12 PM
PREACHHAMES

By the way . . . the Viper does NOT have anti-skid protection, ABS, or traction control! LOL!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:24 PM
Viper1GJ

By the way . . . the Viper does NOT have anti-skid protection, ABS, or traction control! LOL!

Greg, sounds like it's "old school" driving!
Nice looking F-4!
Gary
Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 PM
Tip22v

Viper1GJ and Tip22v,

I did the mod on my wheels/brakes but also added the AG63 Gyro Assisted Brake Controller that comes as standard equipment on AeroFoam turbine jets.

Take off rolls and braking after touch down are straight as an arrow regardless of speed . . . well worth the $.

https://globaljet.club/collections/g...jet-brake-gyro

Greg Hames
AMA #8130

Awesome! I just ordered one to try out
Old 01-29-2021, 02:03 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Greg is that the Eflight F4 with turbine?
BTW I dont think the wheel mod is needed with the AG63 controller.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Tip22v

I tried to order the controller from GJC, but it never asked me for payment, it said something about 50% due at order and the rest of the payment at shipping? Am I missing something?

Disregard, they just sent me a PayPal invoice, all is good.

Last edited by Tip22v; 01-29-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:10 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Greg is that the Eflight F4 with turbine?
BTW I dont think the wheel mod is needed with the AG63 controller.
This does not look like the EFlite F4, the EFlite F4 has a fiberglass fuse and built up wing, the F4 in this picture looks like foam. I’m guessing this is the Freewing F4.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:03 PM
Bob_B

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...m/EFL7950.html
Old 01-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Tip22v

EFlite it is
Old 01-29-2021, 06:55 PM
PREACHHAMES

Bob_B,

My F-4 Phantom is the Freewing from Motion R/C in the Ghost Gray scheme and water slide decals that came with the ARF.

Flys very nice on 6S lipo but really want to get my K45G3 installed!

Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I tried to order the controller from GJC, but it never asked me for payment, it said something about 50% due at order and the rest of the payment at shipping? Am I missing something?

Disregard, they just sent me a PayPal invoice, all is good.
So, I got my brake controller from GJC. I cannot get it to AUTOCONFIG. I must be doing something wrong. I followed the directions, they seem pretty straight forward. After power-on (within 1 min) I moved the rudder back and forth 10 times and stopped at full left and held, then nothing happens...the lights never start alternate flashing BLUE/RED. I can get the brakes to work, but they definitely are not adjusting based on nose yaw. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. - Tom
Old 02-03-2021, 03:11 AM
Bob_B

I had to flip the retract unit plugs 180 degrees at the controller and then reverse the gear channel.
I never could get the unit into the auto config mode.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Tip22v

I had to flip the retract unit plugs 180 degrees at the controller and then reverse the gear channel.
I never could get the unit into the auto config mode.
Thanks, do your brakes adjust to keep the nose straight?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Bob_B

I have not flown the model as it is winter here. Brrrrrrr
Old 02-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Tip22v

I have not flown the model as it is winter here. Brrrrrrr
Thanks, fortunately our winters are fairly mild in comparison to Kentucky (spent 5 years at Ft. Campbell) so I hope to get out a try it soon. -Tom
Old 02-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Tip22v

Thanks, do your brakes adjust to keep the nose straight?
Okay, so I received an email from GJC with new instructions, which are different from the instructions included with the unit. I will give these instructions a try and see if I can get the unit to initialize.

Setup / Configure:

After installation is complete, when you supply power to the airplane, the gyro red and blue lights will begin to flash quickly at the same time, this means the gyroscope is being initialized, DO NOT move the airplane or any joysticks on your radio at this time. The initialization is complete, when the blue light is on or flashing. At this time, test your nose wheel steering to make sure direction of the steering wheel is correct. If it is not correct, reverse the travel for your Steering channel on your radio / remote control.

After confirming that the steering wheel direction is correct, set the aircraft level on a flat surface, move your remote control's steering joystick left full rudder, and then quickly turn the brakes switch on/off at least 3 times until the red and blue lights on your brakes start flashing alternately. This would indicate that the gyro is automatically adapting to your installation orientation and setting up steering signal direction. After 3 ~ 5 seconds, the automatic adaptation will be complete, your gyro can now use your normally.

If the red and blue lights on your gyro do not start flashing alternately, this would mean the set up has failed. 1. Please check whether the airplane is horizontal, in a flat and level surface. 2. Check that your transmitter is turn on. 3. Check that steering joystick is in neutral position. 4. Check that your receiver is correctly receiving your transmitters signal 5. Check that the gyro steering signal input line /servo cable is properly connected to the receiver.

If your gyros red and blue lights do not alternate flashing after you turned your brakes on/off at least three times, or more. the automatic adaptation did not complete. Please make sure that the travel on your steering servo is at 100% in each direction and try the setup procedure from the start. After the automatic adaptation or setup is complete, you can restore your original settings of the steering channel travel.

If the brake control function is not used on your jet, but you still want to use the wheel steering gyro function please connect the gyro's brake control signal line to any of the switch channels on the receiver to perform the gyro auto-adaptation / setup function.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Tip22v

Okay, so I received an email from GJC with new instructions, which are different from the instructions included with the unit. I will give these instructions a try and see if I can get the unit to initialize.

Setup / Configure:

After installation is complete, when you supply power to the airplane, the gyro red and blue lights will begin to flash quickly at the same time, this means the gyroscope is being initialized, DO NOT move the airplane or any joysticks on your radio at this time. The initialization is complete, when the blue light is on or flashing. At this time, test your nose wheel steering to make sure direction of the steering wheel is correct. If it is not correct, reverse the travel for your Steering channel on your radio / remote control.

After confirming that the steering wheel direction is correct, set the aircraft level on a flat surface, move your remote control's steering joystick left full rudder, and then quickly turn the brakes switch on/off at least 3 times until the red and blue lights on your brakes start flashing alternately. This would indicate that the gyro is automatically adapting to your installation orientation and setting up steering signal direction. After 3 ~ 5 seconds, the automatic adaptation will be complete, your gyro can now use your normally.

If the red and blue lights on your gyro do not start flashing alternately, this would mean the set up has failed. 1. Please check whether the airplane is horizontal, in a flat and level surface. 2. Check that your transmitter is turn on. 3. Check that steering joystick is in neutral position. 4. Check that your receiver is correctly receiving your transmitters signal 5. Check that the gyro steering signal input line /servo cable is properly connected to the receiver.

If your gyros red and blue lights do not alternate flashing after you turned your brakes on/off at least three times, or more. the automatic adaptation did not complete. Please make sure that the travel on your steering servo is at 100% in each direction and try the setup procedure from the start. After the automatic adaptation or setup is complete, you can restore your original settings of the steering channel travel.

If the brake control function is not used on your jet, but you still want to use the wheel steering gyro function please connect the gyro's brake control signal line to any of the switch channels on the receiver to perform the gyro auto-adaptation / setup function.
Using the above instructions, not the instructions that were included with the unit, I was able to get the unit to AUTOCONFIG. I verified that the steering servo self corrected when I move the nose left or right. I have not yet been able to verify if the brakes are self correcting, I need to get out to the field and do some taxi testing to verify the brakes.
The following users liked this post:
PREACHHAMES (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 05:16 PM
PREACHHAMES

Tip22v,

You'll love the controller 👍

Once it is configured, your golden!

Greg
Old 02-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Aussie1

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally picked up a Freewing F22 to do a turbine conversion and I had to decide on either a rear mount or a thrust tube and engine on the EDF mount. After some calculations, it worked out better to use a pipe, which I made myself and it only weights

Final tank position. Kitchen knife great for carving foam!

Centre duct clear, before lining with aluminium tape.

Duct is 55mm diverging to 60mm, then extension flattened to 70mm.

Oval outlet.

Turbine duct is mostly hidden from view plus engine is protected from FOD.

Could possibly make a better rear pipe cover, this one was just lying around!
75 grams. This is a very easy conversion, compared to others! My one litre tank fits underneath the spar, almost over the CG and I will be fitting centreburners either side of the pipe, for visual effect. Jet is not finished yet, but will balance without lead and a 3s LiPo 2200 in the nose cone, so may have to dial down the X45!!
Old 02-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Aussie1

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally picked up a Freewing F22 to do a turbine conversion and I had to decide on either a rear mount or a thrust tube and engine on the EDF mount. After some calculations, it worked out better to use a pipe, which I made myself and it only weights

Final tank position. Kitchen knife great for carving foam!

Centre duct clear, before lining with aluminium tape.

Duct is 55mm diverging to 60mm, then extension flattened to 70mm.

Oval outlet.

Turbine duct is mostly hidden from view plus engine is protected from FOD.

75 grams. This is a very easy conversion, compared to others! My one litre tank fits underneath the spar, almost over the CG and I will be fitting centreburners either side of the pipe, for visual effect. Jet is not finished yet, but will balance without lead and a 3s LiPo 2200 in the nose cone, so may have to dial down the X45!!
PREACHHAMES (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Aussie1
Nice! I really like the pipe and the oval exit with the stinger. Should be a great flyer. Post photos of flights!
PREACHHAMES (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 04:56 PM
PREACHHAMES

Very nice job!

Flight videos please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.