Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Based on what I’ve read JP suggests their brakes be activated by a two position switch and then set the maximum brake value using the endpoints.

Last edited by Bob_B; 03-01-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:14 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious, has anyone installed a turbine in the new Motion RC Gripen?
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 AM
drfred58809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Curious, has anyone installed a turbine in the new Motion RC Gripen?
no....doesn‘t work ;-))
conversion kit for x45
https://www.hab.se/bygghobby/hab-cnc...eringskitt-x45

The following users liked this post:
Viper1GJ (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:51 AM
yellowbird911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have converted mine using K45, home made pipe and 3D printed tank that hold 1050cc. Hope to maiden this weekend.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by PREACHHAMES
A special thank you to Vipet1GJ for his expertise and assistance on the Phantom Saturday.
Greg
I just cheered you on! Nice looking F-4. Congrats!
Gary

PREACHHAMES (03-02-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Aussie1

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I now have about 12 flights on my F22/X45 turbine conversion and it is now one of my favourites! I have strengthened the stab linkages as well as statically balanced them, which appears to have made a massive difference in accuracy in how it flys. The after-burner lights are a big success and extremely bright in flight plus I sealed the two cheater holes over and put the fuel vent out the side of the fuselage which avoids sucking in gunk while on the ground. Here are some pictures of these mods and a couple of videos.

Ply facia to strengthen the canopy latch. Also fitted a bit of ply so as to lift off the canopy easily.

Solid 4mm rod stab connectors.

Thin aluminium protecting the lights from mt thrust tube.

I removed the milled aluminium EDF motor mounts from the lights.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Aussie1
Guys, I now have about 12 flights on my F22/X45 turbine conversion and it is now one of my favourites!
Nice Job! I like the pipe and the burner lights. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:27 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Nice Job! I like the pipe and the burner lights. Thanks for the ideas.
Thanks, really happy with my home made pipe, only weights 75 grams, and the engine is protected within the fuselage.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Desert Fox 1

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Viper1GJ (03-06-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:09 PM
Viper1GJ

Flex F-100D with K-45 conversion

This Flex F-100 was converted by my friend Keith and flown 19 times with a K-45 before I got it from him last week. It was a very easy conversion since Keith had already done all the hard work with the tank, pipe, turbine mounts and battery location.

The turbine mounts to the original EDF fan mounts. Keith used a single wall pipe with no bell. Aluminum tape was use to shield the foam from any heat around the turbine hot section and pipe.

Keith 3D printed a the 1.2L / 40 oz. tank. It rises up into the air intake tunnel. The leading edge of the tank is tapered toward the front to provide a smooth air splitter in the intake tunnel. There is plenty of space on either side of the tank for air to get to the turbine.

It was a fairly easy job to mount and hook up everything. It was another task altogether to stuff it all in the space available. Since the air tunnel goes right under the cockpit hatch there is no a lot of depth under the canopy.

I finally got everything updated and stuffed in. I did have an extra piece to fit in since I like using a CTU for turbine telemetry.

The top front of the fuel tank is about 1" behind the pump and air trap tank. Left of the pump is a small cavity that I used to stuff excess wires into. The ECU is below the filter and fuel valve. The Jeti gyro receiver and CTU are in front of the ECU and battery is in a carve out in front.

The air trap tank is a 3D printed design by Keith that serves as a mount for the K-45 pump and allows the 2 parts to be stacked to save space.

Tail pipe is supported by 4 plywood tabs at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions

Keith had 1.75 oz of strip weights in the nose to get a CG that was 12 mm behind the factory position. My CG with 25% fuel in the tank was exactly the same.

Jet looks good. It has a nose high pitch attitude sitting on the ground which should make take off easy. Empty weight with air trap full is 7.7 lbs. Full take off weight is 9.7 lbs. Landing weight with 25% fuel remaining is 8.2 lbs.

Ready for turbine test run, range check, and taxi test. Hope to fly next week if weather permits.

drfred58809 (07-28-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:42 PM
Viper1GJ

3D printed fuel tank for Flex F-100

These photos are pictures Keith made during his conversion of the F-100.

Screen shot of the CAD tank design

The tank is printed with PETG plastic (plastic soda bottle material). It hold 1.2 L or about 40 oz. Note the pointed shape that faces forward inside the air intake tunnel. The tank is shown here just off the 3D printer and ready for epoxy coating inside and out. West Systems epoxy was used inside and out to seal any possible pin holes from printing.

The bottom hatch is cut out of the fuse with a draft angle to keep it from falling in when replaced. The top of the air tunnel is cut out to received the top of the tank (bottom of photo)

Tank is inserted in fuse. Keith glued wood mounts under the edge of the tank and glued some mounting rails to the sides of the tank. Screws hold the tank in place using the side mounting rails.

Foam hatch is replaced to cover the tank.

PREACHHAMES (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Gary!

Love the Hun . . . I did some F-4 taxi tests this afternoon with my pipe in the correct location.

What a huge difference! Wish you were going to Florida Jets with Lee & I . . . hope to see you soon.

Greg
Old 03-15-2021, 05:20 PM
Viper1GJ

Greg, glad to hear you got more thrust on your F-4. Enjoy FJ for me!
Gary
PREACHHAMES (03-15-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:25 PM
Viper1GJ

Turbine change in FW F-22

This is the same F-22 jet that I posted the turbine conversion for back in 2019 in post #15 above. A couple of months ago I had opportunity to sell 2 of my K-45s and I replaced them with X-45s. I finally got time to install the X-45s. Above is he weight and balance after the install. I switched from a 3S LiFe to a 2S LiPo so the battery in the nose was lighter. I had to add 2.5 oz of weight in the nose to keep the same CG. The X-45 started and runs great. I like it better than the K-45. The X-45 on my FW Mig-29 seems quieter than the K-45 and that's nice. I don't like the telemetry display on the Jeti screen but the Xicoy software will not work with a DIgitech CTU so everything is displayed on the Jeti screen in square boxes instead of the nice CTU engine display page. Also the temp is in F not C which is weird and different. Setting the pump factor requires public math and is a PIA compared to the Digitech CTU but it can be done. For the part that really counts, I think I like it better than the K-45 especially if I can start using just one type fuel for all my turbines. The K-45 used kero only. This one will use kero or diesel and is selectable but I haven't tried that yet.

Pump install was simple. The pump is smaller than the KT and takes up less space. The manual explicitly says nothing between the pump and turbine so valve and filter are in front of the pump. The Digitech SB-IAS module is where the CTU was.

The X-45 "Lite" data hub is just above the front of the tanks. Data cable length is not long enough to get it in the front but the hub is small and light and can go almost anywhere with no problems.

Dual 500ml tanks with winged felt clunks pulled up for fitting data cable and fuel line to turbine

The X-45 mounting wings are more narrow than the K-45 but it fit right in the same hole.

The X-45 holes lined up with the edges of the K-45 mount so I capped and epoxied on the old mount a piece of 1/16" G10 material to extend the mount surface inward.

I epoxied a piece of 1/4" ply to the inside of the existing mount to give the X-45 screws something to grip into.

FOD shield repainted and installed. Test runs good. Ready to fly.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 07-28-2021 at 05:34 PM.
drfred58809 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:20 AM
Aussie1

Viper, looks great! You will love it with the X45, I'm flying mine again tomorrow, really good jet.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:45 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Aussie1
Viper, looks great! You will love it with the X45, I'm flying mine again tomorrow, really good jet.
Thanks, I've been flying the X-45 on my FW Mig-29 and it does great. Looking forward to flying the F-22 and F-4 with the X-45 now.
Gary
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 AM
hetzer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked your 3d printed fuel tanks. Do you need any treatment for 3d printed fuel tanks?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:01 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by hetzer
I liked your 3d printed fuel tanks. Do you need any treatment for 3d printed fuel tanks?
Keith coats them inside and out with epoxy laminating resin just to fill any possible pinholes from the 3D printing. I've never had a leak from the ones I am using.
Gary
Old 07-29-2021, 04:51 PM
Viper1GJ

Turbine change in FW F-4

This is the FW F-4 I converted to a K-45 turbine in post #38 above. I had already flown it with my first X-45 so the turbine and pump mounts were already modified. I when I sold the K-45 in my Mig-29 I removed the X-45 from this F-4 and it sat with no turbine for a while. This X-45 install was pretty simple.

The X-45 holes are once again inside the K-45 holes. The old screws hold down the mount cap plate that extends the mount inward to catch the X-45 screws. No other mods were necessary.

Plywood epoxied inside the mount to give the X-45 screws some wood to grip to. Down thrust is already built into the mounts.

The "Lite" data hub extends into the cockpit area and is easy to get to.

Pump mounts to the equipment tray and the fuel valve and filter are installed prior to the pump as per Xicoy instructions.

A new Xicoy brake controller was installed under the board. It works much better than the JP brake controller.

FOD shield installed over turbine

Two starts and runups were made and the turbine runs great. CG was already adjusted to compensate for the lighter battery so this one is ready to fly again. I really like the X-45 turbines. I just wish the telemetry data on the Jeti screen was presented as jet engine display, the pump factor for fuel calculations was easier, and the temp was in degrees C. It's a shame to have such an excellent turbine saddled with clunky display software.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 07-29-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 PM
drfred58809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbine change in FW F-4
Two starts and runups were made and the turbine runs great. CG was already adjusted to compensate for the lighter battery so this one is ready to fly again. I really like the X-45 turbines. I just wish the telemetry data on the Jeti screen was presented as jet engine display, the pump factor for fuel calculations was easier, and the temp was in degrees C. It's a shame to have such an excellent turbine saddled with clunky display software.

do you know these LUA apps?

https://github.com/thomasekdahlN/jeti

https://www.thorn-klaus-jeti.de/de/display-app.html

I really appreciate your posts- like the F16XL a lot and your build hints are always valueable! Keep going!

BR from Germany
markus
Old 07-30-2021, 05:39 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by drfred58809
do you know these LUA apps?

https://github.com/thomasekdahlN/jeti
https://www.thorn-klaus-jeti.de/de/display-app.html
I really appreciate your posts- like the F16XL a lot and your build hints are always valueable! Keep going!
BR from Germany
markus
Thanks Markus, Appreciate the comment and the LUA links I will check them out.
Gary
Old 07-30-2021, 05:51 AM
Viper1GJ

I sent an email to Xicoy asking about the telemetry EGT in F vs C. Gaspar responded overnight. Great customer service. Thanks.

Gaspar told me the temps are only reported in degrees C and to check my transmitter settings. He was correct. User error once again! I was used to switching units for other sensors in the Sensors/Logging Setup menu and the EGT display would not change there. I had forgotten about the overall System units settings and there it was set to F. All is well now.

Gaspar also told me the tedious pump factor setting problem has been fixed in newer ECU software but it is not user upgradable. Has to go back to service for update.

I'd still like a "round dial" engine data page similar to the display on the X-45 hand held display or the LUA engine page that works so well on the Digitech CTU. Will check out the LUA links provided by Markus above.

Thanks for all the help!
Gary
drfred58809 (07-30-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:06 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi,
I am thinking to convert a FW Avanti to turbine.
What is better?
1. Single wall HAB pipe with aluminum tape on the foam to protect it
2. Double walled pipe and no tape.

I sure like the HAB pipe and associated G10 mounting plates. This makes the install so simple. It is my preference, but will the foam melt?
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2021, 07:16 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I’’m using the HAB single wall pipe with tape in my FW T45, it’s a good setup and works well. I’m using a double wall pipe with tape in my FW T33, works well. I’m using a double wall pipe with no tape in two Habu 32, and that works well too. Single or double would depend on how much clearance you have around the pipe in the tail. The T45 has a rather large diameter tail section so the single wall pipe works well. I’m not sure how much clearance the FW Avanti has in the tail.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:19 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I sent an email to Xicoy asking about the telemetry EGT in F vs C. Gaspar responded overnight. Great customer service. Thanks.

Gaspar told me the temps are only reported in degrees C and to check my transmitter settings. He was correct. User error once again! I was used to switching units for other sensors in the Sensors/Logging Setup menu and the EGT display would not change there. I had forgotten about the overall System units settings and there it was set to F. All is well now.

Gaspar also told me the tedious pump factor setting problem has been fixed in newer ECU software but it is not user upgradable. Has to go back to service for update.

I'd still like a "round dial" engine data page similar to the display on the X-45 hand held display or the LUA engine page that works so well on the Digitech CTU. Will check out the LUA links provided by Markus above.

Thanks for all the help!
Gary
what is the tedious pump factor setting issue? I have five Xicoy turbines, how do I tell which have the issue and which don’t? Thanks for the help. -Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.