Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 06:21 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
In the end it doesn’t really matter…..it’s a cool jet…
Hi Folks. Sorry to cause the confusion. It’s better I come out of the wood to clarify it so you can all continue your projects at ease

This XL is made by a start up factory in China as their first entry to the jet community a few years ago. There were no company name at that moment. They contacted GJC to test the market. I gave that company the name Knight Model and started a joint project of improving the prototypes because Ali and I love this 16 Variant. To keep it simple we call our joint projects Global Knight brand. During this time we were working on the G2 which has all the improvements from the first one such as carbon laminated format, better fitting, better parts, etc. basically they are from the same factory same molds and possibly made with additional G2 molds. Our 2022 release is the G2. We are still selling in the USA and would add their future projects in our line of jets and would add our own spec and different accessories such as Intairco UAT and Gyro Brake in the mix. We don’t want to be exclusive dealer as we don’t want to be locked in to volume sales. I’m sure other sellers around the world would help them broaden their markets so the factory can keep going with more jets for our RC turbine community.

hope this helps. I just love flying this jet. Hope GJC can provide you jets, the more the merrier.

here is a video of its circle to land video.

here is our website F-16Xl update.

https://globaljet.club/products/glob...42242093547683

Thank you Gary Jones and many of you here for being the very first XL owners and gives this new factory a chance to be successful with their new projects.

Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by mikedenilin:
mongo (03-02-2022), Viper1GJ (03-06-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Piggy18

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for Clarifying Mike and thanks for your efforts bringing this amazing F-16XL to market
The following users liked this post:
mikedenilin (03-02-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:01 AM
crxmanpat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the additional info and understanding Mike! I'm looking forward to receiving mine and starting the build! I will be sure to document the build and post here to show differences between the versions.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Yodes65

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb V2 test F16XL in Australia

[QUOTE=Piggy18;12717108]I found this video with a short review on facebook floating around, looks to be nice flying jet from what I can see

The vid Piggy18 posted here is my test flight of the XL v2

Hi everyone following this great machine. My nickname (strangely earned from my hang gliding days haha) is Yoda, and that’s my XL in this video (thanks for posting it here). I was fortunate to be sent the first carbon V2 of the XL for testing of the design, structure, assembly and flying. I have never been a part of the RC forums so did miss all the build logs and info here before building and flying this one. In some ways it was a good thing… just approached it as a fresh project and took my time (2 weeks from box open to flying).

The carbon sandwich material used for formers and internal structure is excellent. I also found all glue joints strong with a good amount of surface bonding throughout. Wing attachment points are great… maybe the factory was watching and listening to all the feedback?
I made a wish list for the factory to attend to for the production run (18 pages and 40 photos haha)… improved fuel system (extra header tank feeding off the two saddle tanks etc), turbine positioning for better CG, better paint technique and finish, more attention to fit of major components (wing to fuselage etc) and a dozen other things… all similar to what I have read hear today and all the typical things that we like in ARF models. I have heard that all items will be addressed for what they are now calling the Air Knight Pro version (Air Knight is the factory name apparently).

My test airframe was organised through Austars Models who have a world wide network to help promote and ship this model to many countries.
I need to be clear hear… I have no affiliation with these businesses. I was simply asked to test, report and help with promo videos. The business politics can be left up to the factory, importers and retailers.

From what I have read here today, like everyone currently flying this model, I have found mine to be remarkable and instantly enjoyable to fly. And the presence in the air is great… it really turns heads. The video of my test flying shows random pieces of my three flights, plus a full uncut vid of the second flight. You will see I was instantly tuned in to this machine. It provides all the enjoyment of an F16 style model without the high alpha hang-ups that many of the full flying stab types can give. I’m loving this jet…

I measured my CG point using the fuselage split as a reference… I’m flying at approx 280mm aft of that reference and only using the two saddle tanks at this stage. I will definitely move my Jets Munt 166 back approx 70mm and install a standard shape tank in front of the turbine (allows more central fuel storage over the CG whilst still leaving plenty of airflow to the turbine)… factory has confirmed they will copy. I literally guessed at the control surface setup and mixing and was very pleased with no changes apart from two clicks of aileron trim. It definitely likes lots of travel on all surfaces. I will measure mine and share as i get back out to fly.

I had a good giggle when I saw Gary (master builder that is for certain) install a FOD cover under the turbine as I did on mine… as I said above, I had not seen any of these posts until today. I made mine from carbon and it worked very well. I was also planning to fill all the holes in the formers with foam as mine did pick up a small amount of grass from the front wheel well. So nice to see like minded pilots out there… I have to spend more time on these forums (retired 7 years ago and the thought of computer screens still scares me haha).

I am so pleased to see the interest in this great machine… and I hope I can add to the hype and eventual sales of the improved variant. Happy to share my experiences with you all if you have specific questions… and I ask that you subscribe to my good friends YouTube channel Mickeybrc as he is putting in a huge effort and has great skills with the camera and editing… we will continue to report on the flying of the F16XL and have some other great projects coming soon.
Happy building and flying everyone.
Yoda
Old 03-04-2022, 08:14 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice post and info. Great video Yoda.
Tone
Yodes65 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:16 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
Hi Folks. Sorry to cause the confusion. It’s better I come out of the wood to clarify it so you can all continue your projects at ease

This XL is made by a start up factory in China as their first entry to the jet community a few years ago. There were no company name at that moment. They contacted GJC to test the market. I gave that company the name Knight Model and started a joint project of improving the prototypes because Ali and I love this 16 Variant. To keep it simple we call our joint projects Global Knight brand. During this time we were working on the G2 which has all the improvements from the first one such as carbon laminated format, better fitting, better parts, etc. basically they are from the same factory same molds and possibly made with additional G2 molds. Our 2022 release is the G2. We are still selling in the USA and would add their future projects in our line of jets and would add our own spec and different accessories such as Intairco UAT and Gyro Brake in the mix. We don’t want to be exclusive dealer as we don’t want to be locked in to volume sales. I’m sure other sellers around the world would help them broaden their markets so the factory can keep going with more jets for our RC turbine community.

hope this helps. I just love flying this jet. Hope GJC can provide you jets, the more the merrier.

here is a video of its circle to land video.

https://youtu.be/fS4NUP4Qwe4

here is our website F-16Xl update.

https://globaljet.club/products/glob...42242093547683

Thank you Gary Jones and many of you here for being the very first XL owners and gives this new factory a chance to be successful with their new projects.

Mike
Well said, its nice when the importers/manufacturers can chime in and give clarification.
Tone
Old 03-05-2022, 06:42 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Yota, Nice to meet you here and really enjoy watching the your video. My CG is at 280 and I feel it can go back to 290 -295 because it's still nose heavy. I added some weight below the drag chute area. Josh's c.g. is a better setting. Hope he can chime in and let us know his current setting on his XL.

You are right about being a unique XL. The C is a dime a dozen at the field now. This one does turn heads and make people guessing whether it's a scale or sport jet.

I think you would enjoy it more if you change your engine to 190 - 240.

Do you have a photo of the FOD cover? I would like to have that extra protection against our California dust after years of droughts at our fields.

Mike
Old 03-05-2022, 11:30 PM
Yodes65

Hi Mike,
That’s great info thanks…would love to share photos, but I keep getting blocked when I try to add. RCU keeps coming up with error saying can’t post URL until I post more than 10x. I feel like such a junior 😔.
Anyway, lets see how soon I can notch up the magic number and I will get to share.
Wish we could all fly together too… that would be so much fun.
I found the 166 very nice actually, not needing full throttle very often… but only three flights so far on my first day out with her… we are experiencing horrific weather over here at the moment with crazy flooding so may be a while until we get out… working bee at the field as soon as it drys out.
Chat soon… all the best.
Yoda
Viper1GJ (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:28 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Hi Yoda,

Great to see you on this forum. Looking forward to seeing photos your FOD shield and other mods. Just post a bunch of one liner "Hellos" until the computer sees your post # above 10 and maybe then it will let you post a photo. Some dumb rule I guess. I would love to see some of your inside photos of the V2 especially the nose gear mounts.

I really love my XL. It flies great and is a head turner where ever it goes.

I really enjoyed your FW Mig-29 video also!

Stay in touch,
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 03-06-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:58 PM
Yodes65

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Hi Yoda,

Great to see you on this forum. Looking forward to seeing photos your FOD shield and other mods. Just post a bunch of one liner "Hellos" until the computer sees your post # above 10 and maybe then it will let you post a photo. Some dumb rule I guess. I would love to see some of your inside photos of the V2 especially the nose gear mounts.

Stay in touch,
Gary
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the welcome… great to be able to chat and share with you. I’m very impressed with your mods and build, also amazed at the detail you go to. I tend to make my models structurally and mechanically sound and stop there without adding bling haha. I’m almost ashamed to show inner details, but certainly will if it can help all understand the progress undertaken at the factory.
My XL came with an elaborate mount with 1.5Lt tank… only issue is the position​​​​​​… right up the front. I really don’t think the factory understood the need for locating all fuel close to the CG. I have spent a lot of time communicating with them over this and many other important design enhancements… most of which you had already addressed wth yours, but a few extras that I feel will add to the ownership, longevity and flying experience.
The addition of carbon sandwich material for all internal structure is a excellent improvement (I read in one of the posts here a comment saying the carbon looks like it had heaps of pin holes in it… definitely not the case as it’s commercially available sandwich board and is pressed with a pattern in it that reflects light to look like dots… no pin holes). Bonding of all internal structure to skins is very good and extremely strong (I did see your tail mishap and can happily say it’s a very different machine now).
I have not looked closely at the front gear mount… simply grabbed the nose leg and tried hard to rip it out… very solid, so maybe more attention to detail or an improvement there. I will definitely take some photos to get your opinion thanks.
My XL feels light… empty is 15.8kgs (Mikkel made typo from my notes saying 16.8 on the vid)… I noticed that he had also replied to one of the comments on the vid with incorrect info so I contacted him immediately to retract… that’s where the confusion came from re moulds etc.
Anyway… let’s stay in touch and I like your idea re adding some quick shout outs… I will run through a few now. Then I can add some photos and extra bits when I get back to the shed or field.
All the best Gary… oh, thanks re the Mig, still a favourite fun flyer that one haha.
Yoda
PS… just waiting to hear from the factory as to whether they want me to start a new thread under Air Knight as they were recently saying the Pro version will offer different specs to others and they were about to start sending me photos and vids of the improvements. I will let you know.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Yodes65

Hi Yoda,

Stay in touch,
Gary
Sorry Gary, I forgot to ask what you do about the front spar clamps now that you have the FOD cover? My cover blocks access to the bolts to allow tightening of the clamps. I nipped up my front clamps to be firm on the spar just enough to allow assembly but still provide some friction and then relied on the rear spar clamps for holding force. I think I will turn the clamps up the other way and make wing nut style bolts to allow tightening without a tool… or place small holes in my cover to allow access with a hex head driver (but I hate working from underneath haha).
cheers,
Yoda
Old 03-06-2022, 06:13 PM
Yodes65

Hi Mike… beautiful colour scheme mate. Stunning 😍
Yoda
Old 03-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Yodes65

Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Well, Global Jet Club says it's a Global Knight F-16XL. But the guy on FB says his is an Air Knight F-16XL and they come from different molds. The only difference I could find was that the Air Knight has nav lights, whereas all the ones I've seen from Global Knight have no lights. However, Mike informed me yesterday that I can get nav lights added to my kit, so I told him to include them. Based on this, I'm going to say they are both the same.
Hi Pat,
Sorry for the confusion re the moulds. Mikkel (Mickeybrc YouTuber) incorrectly replied to a comment on our video of my XL saying it was from different factory with different moulds. I corrected him very quickly but damage was done before he had the chance to retract and correct. I have always said it’s the same moulds, just different materials for internal structure and some other nice improvements on the way in the Pro version. I also quoted Air Knight as that’s what I have been told the actual factory name is.
All the best and fly well mate.
Regards,
Yoda
Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Yodes65
Sorry Gary, I forgot to ask what you do about the front spar clamps now that you have the FOD cover? My cover blocks access to the bolts to allow tightening of the clamps....or place small holes in my cover to allow access with a hex head driver (but I hate working from underneath haha).
cheers, Yoda
Hi Yoda,
My main gear FOD shield does not interfere with the wing tube clamps. See pics in post #368 above. My 3D printed shield fits in from the top of the turbine rails and does not get near the wing clamps or bolts. Yea, working from the bottom is a PIA, especially for the old fart here.

Did your kit come with the wing tip AIM-9 missiles? I would like to get some tip missiles since full scale XL always had them on. I would also like to make some AIM-120 missiles to hang on the underside to give the jet some teeth! But, I seem to never have time to do the extra stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, your up to 6 posts now, 4 more to go!
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 03-07-2022 at 04:48 PM.
mongo (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:45 PM
Viper1GJ

Deleted, double post.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:23 PM
crxmanpat

Gary,

Any chance Keith would be willing to share the .stl for the FOD cover? I would like to print one up on my Prusa.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:00 PM
Yodes65

Hi Yoda,
My main gear FOD shield does not interfere with the wing tube clamps. See pics in post #368 above. My 3D printed shield fits in from the top of the turbine rails and does not get near the wing clamps or bolts. Yea, working from the bottom is a PIA, especially for the old fart here.

Did your kit come with the wing tip AIM-9 missiles? I would like to get some tip missiles since full scale XL always had them on. I would also like to make some AIM-120 missiles to hang on the underside to give the jet some teeth! But, I seem to never have time to do the extra stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, your up to 6 posts now, 4 more to go!
Gary
Hi Gary…
yes my XL came with AIM9s that slipped straight on. Very nice fit and look. You will see in the photo of mine landing that they aren’t pointing as high at the front as some of the earlier ones. Maybe just lucky because there was no talk about it from the factory. I have since raised the subject, so hopefully they can rectify all.
I did also see a photo of AIM-120 mould so I believe the factory will be making them available. I will ask and let you know mate.
Regards,
Yoda
Old 03-07-2022, 11:03 PM
Yodes65

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
Nice post and info. Great video Yoda.
Tone
Hi Tone,
just getting my post numbers up so I can start adding photos… glad you enjoyed the vid👍
Old 03-07-2022, 11:08 PM
Yodes65

Originally Posted by Bob_B
The missile rails still have the wrong angle to them. What a cool jet!
Maybe FW will do a 90 mm version perfect for a x45 conversion
Hi Bob,
totally agree with you re a nice size foamie version would be excellent. Somewhere between a HSD size and usual FW 90mm size would be perfect. Imagine if they offered an EDF, kit and turbine ready version… Great idea.
regards,
Yoda
Viper1GJ (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:18 AM
bjm007

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Jason,

Congratulations on the test flight & such a great Video.
Can't wait to see this flying in person. (Once this weather has cleared.)

Bruce
PS. Once you reply to this you should be right to start posting photos. :-)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:36 AM
Viper1GJ

Hi Tone,
just getting my post numbers up so I can start adding photos… glad you enjoyed the vid👍
Hi Yoda,
Only one more to go!
Old 03-08-2022, 10:25 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Gary, Any chance Keith would be willing to share the .stl for the FOD cover? I would like to print one up on my Prusa.
Hi Pat,

I asked Keith to uploaded the file for the FOD shield on Thingiverse so it is available to anyone who wants to use it. Thanks Keith.

The link is below:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5277949

The dimensions were taken from my V1 aircraft and length based on where I had my K-210 mounted. I printed mine with PETG. Feel free to change as necessary. Good luck with it.
Gary
Old 03-08-2022, 10:29 AM
crxmanpat

Thanks Gary (and Keith)! I will be printing one up today.
Viper1GJ (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:31 AM
Viper1GJ

… just waiting to hear from the factory as to whether they want me to start a new thread under Air Knight as they were recently saying the Pro version will offer different specs to others and they were about to start sending me photos and vids of the improvements. I will let you know.
Hi Yoda,
Feel free to start another thread if you want. I'll take good info from any source and would look forward to seeing the ideas and upgrades to the V2 production kits.
Gary
Yodes65 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Bob,
totally agree with you re a nice size foamie version would be excellent. Somewhere between a HSD size and usual FW 90mm size would be perfect. Imagine if they offered an EDF, kit and turbine ready version… Great idea.
regards,
Yoda
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-70mm-F-16XL

not exactly scale, but it does show that folks may be interested enough to support a smaller foamie version.
guy on the groups did a mash up with a 70 mm f 16 fuse and 80 mm griffon wings.
Yodes65 (03-10-2022)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.