Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 11:59 PM
Yodes65

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm007
Hello Jason,

Congratulations on the test flight & such a great Video.
Can't wait to see this flying in person. (Once this weather has cleared.)

Bruce
PS. Once you reply to this you should be right to start posting photos. :-)
Thanks Bruce,
It will be great to catch up… been too long. I am making some changes to mine to help the factory understand what is needed in the Pro version… just moved the turbine back 30mm and added a third tank (small header tank) right in front of the turbine sitting on my carbon FOD cover. Trial fit today looks good so hoping to get out and test very soon.
I will let you know when and where in case you can make it. All the best mate.
Yoda
Old 03-10-2022, 12:30 AM
Yodes65

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Hi Yoda,
My main gear FOD shield does not interfere with the wing tube clamps. See pics in post #368 above. My 3D printed shield fits in from the top of the turbine rails and does not get near the wing clamps or bolts. Yea, working from the bottom is a PIA, especially for the old fart here.

Did your kit come with the wing tip AIM-9 missiles? I would like to get some tip missiles since full scale XL always had them on. I would also like to make some AIM-120 missiles to hang on the underside to give the jet some teeth! But, I seem to never have time to do the extra stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, your up to 6 posts now, 4 more to go!
Gary
Hi Gary,
I just had a reply from Air Knight re the AIM-120 mould progress. They are definitely going to produce them and have design and decals ordered. I will post details as soon as available.

Regarding posting photos… I just tried to add six jpegs to show you my FOD cover, close ups of the wing attachment points (beautiful carbon work) and some recent changes I am making… BUT, blocked again haha… difficult site to work with. Had an error saying I didn’t have a security token. Contact administrator. Unfortunately I am very time poor at the moment as we have guests and then I’m away for the weekend. Will try again Monday. Have a nice weekend mate.
Yoda
Old 03-10-2022, 05:48 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Yodes65
...Regarding posting photos… I just tried to add six jpegs to show you my FOD cover, close ups of the wing attachment points (beautiful carbon work) and some recent changes I am making… BUT, blocked again haha… difficult site to work with. Had an error saying I didn’t have a security token. Contact administrator...Yoda
Hi Yoda,
I just sent Andy (BarracudaHockey), the RCU Community Moderator, a PM asking to fix it so you could post photos. Hopefully it will start working soon.
Best,
Gary
Old 03-11-2022, 04:16 AM
crxmanpat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my FOD cover printed (thanks again Gary and Keith!). It was about 1/4" too tall for my print platter, so I had to slice it in half and then CA together.

And it turns out that I'll be getting a Feibao F-15E before the XL arrives, so I'm going to be busy! Now I'll have both planes from the Air Force Enhanced Tactical Fighter competition.

The following users liked this post:
Viper1GJ (03-11-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 09:01 PM
Yodes65

Default Carbon FOD cover

Hi all… hopefully now RCU will let me post some photos. Gary asked to see my carbon FOD cover so I will start with that to test the system.
I started by making a simple mould from a cardboard tube that I found in the shed. I added two pieces of 3/4inch square timber at around 10 and 2 (as if looking at a clock face) that I calculated would make flat mounts to sit on top of the turbine rails. I then wrapped the entire mould with clear packing tape… and added tape to two steel rules to allow me to clamp the carbon to the mould.
I used a single layer of fairly heavy carbon weave. Marked my temple on the outside of my clear plastic. Laid the over size piece of carbon onto the plastic. Poured on my mixed resin then folded the plastic side with my template onto the top. Then squeegeed the resin throughout the carbon using an old credit card ensuring all wet and then pushed as much resin out as possible. Using a rotary knife I then cut along my template, peeled one side of the plastic off and laid it over my mould and clamped it in place after removing the outer layer of plastic. It worked so well. Light and strong… plenty strong enough to double as a third fuel tank mount.
I did need to trim some carbon out with a dremel to allow the turbine mounts to fit and also for the main gear door servo arms to move full travel in the closed position. I have since filled the gaps left at the front with black foam and mounted a small header third tank onto the foam.
I also made a thin plastic FOD cover that fills the large holes behind the front gear bay
I can’t wait to back out to test it now.
cheers,
Yoda
Just tried uploading photos again… rejected again. Maybe something to with using my iPad instead of computer? I will try starting a new thread under Air Knight F16XL to see if that works
Old 03-13-2022, 10:42 PM
Yodes65

I have a thread started in RCGROUPS… photos and links working there… I will monitor this thread, but will be posting all info and pics in the other. Uploaded photos of my carbon FOD cover today.
I will add more of my XL tonight and during this week.
Air Knight factory has been designing improvements for the Pro version and I will share pics, drawings and details as they become available.
Please feel free to join me on RCGROUPS and let me know if you would like to know anything specifically about this great aircraft.
regards,
Yoda
Old 03-14-2022, 03:07 AM
crxmanpat

Here's the thread on RCG:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...on-Pro-version
Yodes65 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 03:08 AM
crxmanpat

I have a friend that does super scale AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles so I'm having him print some for me, and I'm working on printing up a bunch of Mk82s in ABS. The hard part on the Mk82s will be adding structure in the wings for the hard points. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Yodes65 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 04:55 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I have a friend that does super scale AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles so I'm having him print some for me, and I'm working on printing up a bunch of Mk82s in ABS. The hard part on the Mk82s will be adding structure in the wings for the hard points. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Hi Pat,
Is your friend willing to share the 3D print files for the AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles? I was hoping to get some from the factory but have not been able yet. I wanted to put AIM-9 and AIM-120s on since the full scale flew with them most of the time. I read that the full scale AIM-120s were wooden dummy mockups since the real deal was not yet made when the XL was first flying.
Gary
Old 03-14-2022, 04:56 AM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Yodes65
I have a thread started in RCGROUPS… photos and links working there… Please feel free to join me on RCGROUPS and let me know if you would like to know anything specifically about this great aircraft.
regards, Yoda
Hi Yoda,
Following the RCG thread now. Sorry this one will not let you post photos.
Gary
Old 03-14-2022, 06:17 AM
crxmanpat

Hi Pat,
Is your friend willing to share the 3D print files for the AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles? I was hoping to get some from the factory but have not been able yet. I wanted to put AIM-9 and AIM-120s on since the full scale flew with them most of the time. I read that the full scale AIM-120s were wooden dummy mockups since the real deal was not yet made when the XL was first flying.
Gary
Gary,

Unfortunately, he sells them as a side business, so no file sharing. However, there are files on Cults3d and thingiverse for the AIM-9, but they would need to be scaled up for this 1/6 XL.

Last edited by crxmanpat; 03-14-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 AM
crxmanpat

First Mk82 is off the printer. Came out pretty good. Now I need to devise a mounting system and pylon. I will probably do a slide lock system like Freewing does on their pylons and ordnance. Will make it much easier to take on and off instead of having to screw a bunch of stuff in. The 3rd pic illustrates how that works. Frontal air pressure keeps them locked in place.

Yodes65 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:15 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

in the spare parts listings for their various aircraft, freewing lists and sell those assorted pylons and mount systems.
i got a set or 3 to use adding centerline stuff to my A-4
\
Old 03-14-2022, 11:36 AM
crxmanpat

Originally Posted by mongo
in the spare parts listings for their various aircraft, freewing lists and sell those assorted pylons and mount systems.
i got a set or 3 to use adding centerline stuff to my A-4
\
Yep, I bought several packages of them a while back. But I think they are too flimsy for this application. I designed an insert for the Mk82 and it's printing now. Much beefier than the Freewing mounts, but uses the same principle.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:50 AM
Viper1GJ

First Mk82 is off the printer. Came out pretty good.
Nice Mk82! Pretty much like I remember them.
Gary
Old 03-14-2022, 12:28 PM
crxmanpat

OK, the mount for the Mk82 came out almost perfect. Just need to extend the front by 1mm. Working on a pylon now.

The following 3 users liked this post by crxmanpat:
dr.tom (03-14-2022), mongo (03-14-2022), patf (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Viper1GJ

...Working on a pylon now.
How will you attach the pylons to the bottom of the wings?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:04 PM
crxmanpat

How will you attach the pylons to the bottom of the wings?
That's the million dollar question. I will probably use the Freewing style attachment, with the female part in the wing set into a hardwood block. It will require cutting into the wing to do it. I'll have to wait until I get the plane to see how feasible that would be.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:25 PM
Viper1GJ

Lots of them! I think I will just add missiles and leave it in the air to air configuration.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:52 PM
crxmanpat

Yeah, lots and lots of them!

I made a semi-scale pylon for the Mk82. Won't win any awards, but should be serviceable. Need to make some adjustments on the slots where the Mk82 connects, but that will be easy. Working on the female mount for the wing now.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:53 PM
crxmanpat

If it proves to be too much work to add the Mk82s, then I'll just stick with the AIM-9s and 120s.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:23 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Pat,
Is your friend willing to share the 3D print files for the AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles?
Gary,
They may not be super scale but there are several available on Thingiverse, it might be worth experimenting with scaling them up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3592144
Old 03-15-2022, 05:07 PM
Viper1GJ

Thanks, I found a few files that may work. Since I cant do CAD I will play with the slicer scale settings and see what I can get.
Gary
Old 03-17-2022, 06:46 AM
crxmanpat

OK, I think I have the final configuration figured out now. The U-shaped piece on top will mount into the wing in some hard wood. I will need to receive my plane before I can look at how that would best be done.

patf (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 07:04 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice work! what software are you using. Since RCU wont provide a proper forum, wonder if we start a 3d printing thread here in the jets category to share progress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.