Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long FPV "System"

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 03:13 PM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Well now I've seen it...
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (01-04-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmmm, looks to be a 2.4GHz system though I can't really tell by the antenna length from the picture. Most likely it is wifi fpv as that is much easier to get past FCC regulations.

Edit: also best not to engage the troll, he is most likely just looking for posts.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:48 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They call it wifi and show it being received on a cell phone, so I think you are correct. BUT the VTX does look similar to ones I have that are 5.8G.

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hmmm, looks to be a 2.4GHz system though I can't really tell by the antenna length from the picture. Most likely it is wifi fpv as that is much easier to get past FCC regulations.

Edit: also best not to engage the troll, he is most likely just looking for posts.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:28 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by evan-RCU
They call it wifi and show it being received on a cell phone, so I think you are correct. BUT the VTX does look similar to ones I have that are 5.8G.
I always say NO-GO on wifi stuff. That is bunk and not worth the lag you get with our expensive tanks. Super easy to run off 5V or even Vbat and get a small 5.8GHZ AIO for less than $15 retail and put in there. Add a small $30-50 screen and you can actually use it to drive and play with, not just as a second screen. Wifi FPV is the absolute garbage of "fpv" and honestly I wouldn't put on any of our tanks just for fear of damaging something while using it. Not only that but you have to download an app from China and most of the time give it strange permissions to use as well. I'll pass on that and use good ole' analog. Its cheap, easy, and once you have a screen/googles it cost around $15 to add another camera to anything. Once you start getting a bit deeper into tanks you will see you don't want any lag on our tanks, especially ones that have momentum and inertia on them, that is a HUGE no-no with lag. We also have battlegrounds too with tight enclosures, it is a terrible idea I found. I ended up just going 5.8GHz for dirt cheap on almost all my stuff.

Just for reference the cam I speak of is here: https://www.getfpv.com/caddx-beetle-...-5-8g-vtx.html (there are lots of clones out but the beetle I found was really good for overall light handling) and you can either use a 5V regulator or find one that uses Vbat and use straight battery voltage. If you add a cheap drone board you can even do camera switching too
Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM
evan-RCU

I agree. Though I posted the link I was in no way saying I've used it or would recommend it. On my planes and quads I am using Shark Byte with head tracking.

On my tank I'll be using a small AIO like you linked as I have a half dozen or more of them, some 25mW, some 200, some that I can flip the image, some that have a cable between the camera and VTX, some with a dipole and some with a RHCP, and some work off a 1S LiPo while others are 5V or higher.

I'll probably use a 25/ 200mW AIO with a dipole that works off a 1S that I have a ton of. One has a foam shell I can easily pain to match and glue a magnet to the bottom. I'll use a 7" Eachine monitor but haven't figured out my mounting yet.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:32 PM
oldwolf75

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks very similar to one I bought from them, similarly marketed and priced. The one I bought was indeed wifi, to run on a phone. It was moderately laggy and it tended to overheat and shut itself down in summer weather. That is summer in Maine weather.
The one thing it had going for it was the very small, flexibly connected camera. It could easily be placed to look out through existent openings on the tank.

I made an interesting discovery playing around with it. While the idea of an fpv view from inside the tank sounded good to me, I found it to be disappointing. It made running the tank too much like a video game. I discovered that what I really like about rc tanks is watching them in action as I run them. Being outside watching my tank deal with obstacles, etc was the fun part for me. The last thing I wanted was to be staring at a screen. Naturally this is just my personal take on it and others may find scale fpv tanking to be enthralling. For me though making this self discovery for the price of the product was worth it.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:04 PM
rcaddiction30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you could hook up a drone FPV system, doesn't matter if it's in the air or not.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:40 PM
evan-RCU

Yes you can…