Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CAC Boomerang Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CAC Boomerang Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAC Boomerang Project

Patti,

You and Richard should be proud. Very nice job and great looking fuse. I like the cowl too. LOL

Barry
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Oakey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys that is looking fabulous well and truely a credit yto you both. Clearly having Tom up there has pushed you to new heights.

I was reading a little bit more history around him, he gets a mention and is quoted in Pacific Fury, for his work with 2 other flight commanders with RAAF no.4 Squadron TRS supporting the Aussies and Yanks at Aitape. no service stave just 3 boomerangs.

I am just about ready (umph how often have i thought that) to cut some ribs. mine will be built up rather than moulded like yours. and my fuz plan is coming along pretty well. gee getting that nose right is a real pain. i only started again so that i could learn by doing the way that you did.

cheers

C
Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 AM
at-6 texan

Patti this is an very great job so all ways but much more!..
in this moment i see the your new photos and i see which inside the fuselage you have an audio cone... but you going to build an electric airplane?
What kind of engine you are going to mount?,you could also provide the dimensions?

Keep up us updated.ok?... which is becoming more and more 'interesting!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
arryauster

Hiya Patti - it's me again from little ol' England - can't resist adding to the praise you're getting for the Booma - it's looking absolutely fabulous at the moment, or should I say 'it's fair dinkum' - it must have been a really great buzz for you and Richard to actually meet and entertain Tom and Beryl last weekend - you're making me so jealous of you guys out there in Aus, what with the weather I saw in the pics of your field and also your access to the CNC equipment, especially when I was stuck indoors all last weekend looking out at the torrential rain and wind in my little part of south east Blighty and I might add, without any signs of any improvement on the horizon.
The wing build does look like a composite board of some description, is it indeed gonna be a moulded wing as well? - if so what kinda weight do you reckon that the bare airframe will end up at? - so many questions !!!
As an aside I've had several modellers approach me over the years for a closer inspection, whilst taking measurements and pics of the Auster and generally after which, if they're decent guys, I've quite often taken them up for a couple of circuits or so, I thoroughly enjoy it and it really seems to make their day - perhaps you should venture over to Oakey, you never know your luck !!!!!
Keep up the excellent work, I can't believe how good it's all looking now, regards 'Arry.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
at-6 texan

Hi arryauster you are wellcome!.. but don't forgot which in England when raining is all ways an good time!.......I JOKE!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
P4Patti

Gidday to all again

We haven't been notified of the postings so didn't realise they were here. We've also had a fairly distracting month with both of us getting sick and after recovering having to catch up on work. Then just as we were coming out of that there was some really horrible club politics which has been going on for the last couple of weeks. I have resigned as secretary to distance myself from shonky deals but the upside is that I now have more time to do fun stuff. There was a time over the last couple of weeks when Richard considered building paddle boats instead of planes as they don't require a flying field or a club but there's just something about warbirds, the excitement factor!

But all that behind us and it's onwards again and there has been progress made on the Boomer. The rudder has been built, moulded and attached and there's even the start of a tail wheel. The push is really on now to get it flying, at the cost of fine detailing. That can come later once we see how well it flies. Dave, point noted on the RH leg, will have to look at that before take off

Yes, the wings will be fully moulded as well. One is built and being panelled now. Next time I turn around Richard will probably have the other one built

AT-6, yes this Boomer will be electric and there is a speaker inside for later development of sound files. As for the size of the motor, with electrics that is very much inter related with the size of the prop and the batteries. But for a quick answer, maybe an Axi 5330 wihch we have. Richard's 25lb corsair flies brilliantly on an Axi 5345 with a 21" prop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseuwbQhyxE A Boomerang scale prop would be 26"! All those scale details can be refined later once it's flying.

'Arry, we're estimating that the Boomer will come in around 20lb. Hope the rain has cleared in your neck of the woods although I guess that's just what merry ol' England is and it hasn't been looking brilliant by our news reports lately. Keep smiling!

I'd better get to the day job

cheers for now
Patti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85283.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1321174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77214.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1321175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33261.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1321176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33071.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1321177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95741.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1321178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84928.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1321179  
Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 PM
at-6 texan

VERY VERY DUDE!...engine seems to look very powerful .. but would not have been better to have a radial engine? ...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
goneflyin2002

Greetings to you all.

I just ran across this thread and much to my suprise there are other Boomerang enthusiasts around!

I would like to congratulate all of those that have done such fantastic work on your projects! Excellent talent!

Here are a few pictures of our Boomerang, scratch built by my old friend Charlie Mills Sr. 10 or 12 years ago. With a 100" wing, it is powered by a ZDZ80 twin. (this week to be replaced by a Moki 150- Yeehaw!)

For those who haven't had the chance to fly yours yet, rest assured this airplane is one of the most docile and solid warbirds to fly- you will love it.

Best regards,
Don McLellan

Here are some photos by Palmer Johnson at TopGun 2006.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 AM
P4Patti

Hello to all

It is with great sadness that Richard and I have to announce the indefinite shelving of the Boomerang project. Due to an unworkable situation at our local flying club we feel we can no longer be associated with them. There have been very dirty politics which has made flying there impossible, unless we leave our conscience at the gate and put the hypocrate hats on which is something we just cant do. It is far more important to be able to sleep at night than to fly.

There are 2 other clubs in the area but travelling distance and field layout - trees etc make them unsuitable for the size and type of planes we were planning. The whole experience and politics has made flying extremely unfun.

I have a little helicopter under the Christmas tree so I can still fly indoors. I'm fairly new to the flying and was really enjoying it so it is a real pain but we are not ones to wallow. Richard is now free to indulge other passions that have been on the back burner and has dusted off the paddle steamers, is designing a new cnc machine and looking at live steam engines. I will now have the time to indulge my art and get back to airbrush painting and will continue to make "people" like the Eric Cooke figure using the cnc machine.

Never say never but for the forseeable future everything planes is put away in storage.

Thanks for the support, Merry Christmas to all and goodbye

Patti and Richard

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Patti and Rick,
This is very sad news indeed!!!!!!!!![X(][]
Please consider finishing your wonderful project and and shoving it up your opponents noses for all of us.
Even if you just finish it and ignore them.

Patti I am thinking of getting some pilots made and would like to contact you with regards to 'heads'

Best of luck,

Brad
Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
arryauster

Hiya Patti - very, very sad news - the way Richard handled his Corsair in the video clip, certainly showed that he enjoyed his RC flying very much - I, and I expect quite a few other people from all over the globe, who've been patiently waiting with baited breath on the final result of the superb craftsmanship the pair of you have lavished on your Booma.
Who knows your model club may well sort its self out in the near future - I can remember having major problems with jumped up petty officials at our field a few years ago, guys who were supposedly acting on our behalf, but please put your trust in human nature and the common man - the rest of the 'good guys' normally pull through and common sense generally prevails - perhaps living in a wet and windy corner of little ol' England at the moment ain't quite so bad after all.
As I expect you can now guess, I'm doubly dissappointed in your predicament, mainly for you, honestly........ but since we first corresponded I've lain awake at night thinking of a shiney fibre glass Booma fus turning up through the post one day - ah well !!, if things ain't to be.......
I wish you both all the best in what ever new ventures/passtimes you now intend persuing and if the booma was anything to go by, then I'm sure you'll no doubt have as much fun and enjoyment.
If you ever get back to the Booma though............ or, if you and Richard ever come to my part of little ol' England, I'd love to meet up over a pint of our warm ale somewhere - I think you may still have my e-mail address somewhere from previous corres.
All the very best to you both - so sorry - 'Arry.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
at-6 texan

hi GUYS! i not speak so very better English an some times is very hard to understand me!...but Patti i want you say that: i 'm agreed which arryauster...i thinks which that is an very sad news!.and i thing that is an bad idea... PLEASE DON'T TO DO!..
P.s you haves we!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SMILE IT COULD BE WORSE!!!!! At least you have each other and your health.

Merry Christmas,

Barry
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 AM
SquareDD

Hi Patti & George

Sorry to hear about the club problems, unfortunatly there seems to be a bit of that going around.
I was just going to start my Booerang and found you have built exactly what I want to do. 
It seems a real shame to leave your project unfinished so if possible I would like to either
buy your project outright (part or complete),
buy one or two mouldings,
or borrow the moulds for a few weeks to make my own mouldings (at your premises or mine).
I live in Brisbane so travel is no problem for me.

PM or email me if you are interested
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM
goneflyin2002

Hi all,
the old Boomerang finally flies with the new Moki installed.
A bit of a rough landing, but hey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMztmo_53k

Don
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 AM
P4Patti

Hello again

I guess you can't keep old dogs down! Richard and I haven't been idle, we haven't done much flying since the club business but that's left us more time and focus for building things.

The new cnc machine is finally finished which was a MUCH bigger job than originally anticipated but soooo worth it now. Richard has started from scratch and is doing a 1/4 scale Boomer this time with all detail machine generated so it wont take anywhere near the time of the last one. We found that was getting too heavy and with the core material available here in Australia it was a better choice to make the plane bigger. The 1/5 one is on ice for the time being.

I've been having a lot of fun working on poseable pilots and you can check out the results here if you're interested, I'll just put one pic of Eric up to whet your appetite
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9563503

The new cnc is amazing and cutting heads with the 4th axis is fantastic.

cheers
Patti

Name:	Jh15468.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1393312  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Richard and Patti!!!!!

Great to hear that you are back in action and building planes again!!!! Looking forward to what your new CNC can produce. the pilot looks great and i think there is a real market for a quality 1/5 and 1/4 scale pilots out there. the BBI dragon etc 1/6 scale figures have that size market licked, but that just makes everyone want a larger pilot with the same detail even more!

I have been working on my lanc slowly, and all this rain has stopped me working on sheeting with wing because it gets real hard wot work with balsa when the humidity is up so high, but i guess you guys are only a few hours north of here so are in the same boat

Thanks

dave
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
P4Patti

Hi Dave

I know what you mean about the DAMP weather - we're definitely over it. On the up side tho, we've had so many days we couldn't get out to our day job we've had some serious time to get into the modelling projects. Hence the finished pilots
The BBI dragon figures have a good selection of clothing for that size but we're still after a light fully poseable body with interesting, recognizable faces. Richard really wants a Pappy Boyington for his Cosair!

Good to hear the Lanc is still progressing, dying to see the landing gear given a workout.

cheers
Patti
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
at-6 texan

Hi Patti nice to see you again!..i'm very happy to feel you again!....i hope which you now can finish the your build,so still amaze me to the fantastic progress made by you..ok!..see you soon.
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Patti,
very pleased to see you are back into it, I have beenthrough club polictics years ago and have sworn to never get involved in the running of clubs again. I do empathise with you and hope you make it back into flying somewhere soon. Enough politics in the office let alone in leisure.

at least you have workshops, all my gear is in storage for the foreseable future till I sort myself out.

All the best
cheers
Peter
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
P4Patti

Thanks Guys and GIDDAY MR ITALY

The builds will continue, there's more time when you're not flying and doing club stuff!

cheers
Patti
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
at-6 texan

Pizza, spaghetti, mandolino and ..............!!!!!!!

Name:	Ge95745.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1397047  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM
arryauster

Hiya Patti - just to let you know that I'm back tuned in and following with baited breath again - I'm totally impressed with your new achievements in the pilot field - really glad to see that you've not stopped the creative stuff, it sort of knocks 'Pete's Pilots' into a cocked hat - I expect/hope that it'll only be a matter of time before you and Richard actually take to the air again - It's really great to see that you're both back in action - it certainly gives me some incentive (everytime I see a post now) to build up the steam and turn my old computer on - it was quite a deflation just before Christmas when you announced your news to cease.
Anyway the weather here in Blighty has only just taken a turn for the better, even been sunny some of this week.
Cheers, an all the best for now - 'Arry.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM
P4Patti

Hi 'Arry - good to hear you're back on the airwaves again too. We'll be back in the air as soon as the Boomerang is finished, in the meantime we're just in a creating phase.

Richard's making good progress on the new Boomer and I've attached a couple of pics so you can see the progress. It's so big compared to the 1/5 scale!
It's upside down so you'll have to use your imaginations or stand on your head He's working on the wing faring shape and once that's finished it's nearly ready for panelling.
I'm afraid he's be spending more time cutting heads and bodies for me lately but the new machine is so good he doesn't mind!

Thankfully we missed the cyclone and the rain has FINALLY cleared up our way. 'Arry, you've probably had less wet days than us over the last 2 months - but at least we're warm and wet.

cheers
Patti

Name:	Qo39876.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1403212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46452.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1403213  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM
puma79

Its crazy that this forum post is still running. After creating it back in 2005, I have been amazed at how it has just taken on a life of its own. I kind of gave up the model after heaps of problems with the airborne plans.

I thought I would provide some images of how I have been progressing. The flying restoration has taken about 1.5 years to date. For those that have had anything to do with real-life boomerangs, parts are hard to find and when you do locate them they basically are only good for templates.

The project is housed at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Inc at Wollongong Airport. When I am not working on it, it is on display in their museum for visitors and guests to view.

It has been an incredible experience to date and as each part goes on, its one step closer to flying.

Anyone who would like to arrange a visit or speak/chat Boomerangs, please do not hesitate in contacting me. Happy to discuss or help where possible (Mobile: 0415 577 724)

Name:	Wu59655.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1431155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35814.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1431156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19641.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1431157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46175.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1431158  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.