Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CAC Boomerang Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CAC Boomerang Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CAC Boomerang Project

Gday John,
as a I suggestion how about starting a thread on the Model Design P40 build? I have a mate up here in Brissy who is currently building one and I'm hoping to get one very soon, between us all we could throw ideas back and forth abd document progress.

Diddn't know Chris had one as well, have only seen his Harvard and C47, both gorgeous machines if a bit heavy. I know PEter Love forom up on the Darling Downs has one and it screams around with a G62 in it as it is very light.

cheers
Peter
Old 08-01-2004, 06:42 PM
puma79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hawker. My HD P40 is about 20% complete. I have been working on the wings for months now (when i get time) and have managed to get one flap rebate cut out and inlayed. I am very interested in learning what servo arrangement and wing coupling techniques people are using on these kits. I have a 3W-75i for power in mine, and have the custom retracts for it as well. Guess I just need some more time and some advice and the project will be well under way.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:34 PM
WarbirdMadMan

Don't think Chris Howarth has the P-40 anymore. Think he sold it to a guy in Toowoomba. It was down at TMAC for last Warbirds Assoc. day but a guy from Toowoomba was flying it. Think his name was Steve.
Cheers Tim
Old 08-02-2004, 12:31 AM
hawker3119

Hi Peter hey good idear to start a thread and knock around some knowledge between us the H.D. flie's very well if you keep it light as with all fighters a chap up Maitland way has one very light built up wing but no retracts looks crap in the air what servo's will you use Chris H P-40 used J.R.511 4 in the wing 2 on elevator 1 on rudder
Cheers John
Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
hawker3119

Hi Puma sounds like your doing the foam wing and you will have more than enough power with the 3W-75 the servo's i will be using will be Hitec HS645-MG they are the same size as standard , fast , can get them under $50.00 and 7kg 1 for each surface 2 for elevators forget bell cranking to much slop after a while servo for each 4-40 rod with gold ends direct and easy to install.As for a spar or wing joiner if you are going to do a 2 piece wing a piece of 1.5mm by 25mm aluiminum tube make up some glass tubes using the alu tube as a mould insert these into the foam core but make sure you put them through a rib at the outer (you have to make and insert the rib) this is so the tube will not try to poke out the wing skin have a talk to the chaps that have large aerobatic aircraft cheers John
Old 08-02-2004, 12:57 AM
hawker3119

Hi Tim thanks for that did not know he sold it been around for a long time cheers John
Old 09-01-2004, 05:28 AM
gef12

Gentlemen,

Does anybody know if the plans and laser cut parts for boomerang are ready yet.

Gerard
Old 09-01-2004, 06:48 AM
roreem

How is everybody going with their boomerang projects?
I'm currently building from the airborne plans and have got as far as assembly of the fuselage frame, but haven't been able to get back to it for a while - must get going on it again!
I've got a fair collection of detail photos packed away in a box somewhere here which I haven't unpacked since I moved a few months back. When I find them I'd be happy to scan them and post somewhere for those interested. At the time I took them I was fortunate to be based in Toowoomba and have an office located just off the end of Tmba airport runway, so had both Matt Denning's and Lynette Zuccoli's boomerangs passing overhead and hangared just around the corner from me. Matt's aircraft is now based at the army aviation musuem at Oakey, just west of Toowoomba.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
hawker3119

Hi there the plans will not be changed but the laser cut parts will be they have not been done as yet as Brownie has been in the U.S. but even if you cut your own they will be wrong we will keep you posted on this site regards
Old 09-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi John,
sorry for the slow reply.

Currently I'm finishing off my TF P40 - it is only 65" but will be starting on a Model Design P40 @ 94" early next year. This is a glass fuz and foam core wings.

cheers
PEter
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 PM
hawker3119

Hi Peter no problems i had the TF with a Laser 120 custom retracts went well for about 4 years i sold it (no gear) to a person who has hung it up and wont use, it as for the HD i am doing the Brian Taylor built up wing for it much easer to fit things and comes out lighter, we will get something going on the P-40, i just ordered a set of plans and gear from Jerry Bates Hawk 75 P-36, 84" should be interesting regards John
Old 10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
hawker3119

Hi all working with Brownie to fix the problems with the Booma we have it nearly sorted and it will not be long till the parts can be sold the fuse i have 70% completed will now go in otto and i will do a new fuse with the new set of formers to see how they come up,i will keep you posted. John
Old 10-04-2004, 12:26 AM
WarbirdMadMan

Hi John,
Good to finally hear something. Can't wait to finally get the pieces and make a start. Great that you and Brownie are getting it sorted. It'll definately be worth the wait if it all fits together nicely. Keep us posted!!!!!!

Tim
Old 10-30-2004, 09:38 AM
RichAur

I have started a Bommer off the (crappy) airborne plans. If some one can tell me how to post a pic I will show you my progress.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
WarbirdMadMan

Hi RichAur,

You need to click on the "Reply Post" at bottom lefthand corner of page. Once that loads you will notice
at the bottom of the message box is "Click here to upload". Click on that and follow the prompts. It's
easy enough. Four at a time and not too big on the file size. Interested to see what you've done.

Tim
Old 11-01-2004, 07:04 AM
RichAur

Thanks KatanaMadMan, Heres some Pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69008.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	188788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77693.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	188789  
Old 11-19-2004, 08:19 PM
hawker3119

Hi all you booma builders i am taking down to Brownie the new 93" half shell frame of the fuse i think this will be it just a few slight correction to be made the new one came out with the correct tail post width formers the correct size looks good for a go ahead will keep you all informed regards John
Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Rich,

I was wondering if you experienced the same trouble we had with the Airborne plans? Our problem is that some of the formers did not line up correctly and the stringers were way out of whack. I'd like to hear about your experience.

Regards,

James.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:00 PM
RichAur

Yeah, I have redone the formers so as the stringers fit. As I am not doing a built up wing so I cannot comment on the Wing Plans but my initial inspection quickly steered me towards a composite foam/balsa construction. As the real deal aircraft was highly manouverable I felt the wing setup on the plans, particularly the joined spar and undercarrige area was lacking in detail and strength. (I fly on a particularly rough field which tests undercarraige integrity regardless of skill on landing and takeoff).
Old 12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
hawker3119

Hi all you Booma builders here is a bit of news 1st very close to fuse formers to be cut and 2nd the wing if you wish can be started as it is pretty right but remember the washout, now if you have seen the latest Airborne mag you will see a finished booma on the front page when someone told me about this i started to track Rod down many ph calls to Vic and i got him, we had a conversation on his project and i asked him about the fuse formers and he stated they where ****, he jiged and re formed the formers to the right shape a lot of time was spent just on this, the wing was ok the cowl was not right but we will discuss this section latter, the plane flew that arvo after the picture take and flies very stable and has good control so that is about it for the time being so every one have a good Xmas and a Booma of a new year cheers. John
Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM
puma79

Wasnt someone working on a glass fuse for the boomer? Also, has anyone finished a laser cutting sheet for the formers and components? If so, I would be interested in purchasing a glass fuse / laser parts guide.

email me: [email protected]
Old 01-04-2005, 07:56 PM
hawker3119

Hi all hope every one had a good festive season up date on laser cutting the fuse is right now and brownie has moved this will hold up the laser cutting for a bit i would like to build the fuse just to make sure it is ok to go ahead for production. As for f/glass you are not going to save much weight or gain a lot of strength, time wise maybe a bet quicker but i don't think so as the fuse i have done (which is wrong) did not take long at all plenty of working room and stressed skin is very strong, and adding all the bits and pieces is so much easer than a glass fuse, besides you don,t get to learn detailing ie: panel lines , rivets , hatches etc. I will keep you all informed
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 AM
puma79

Hawker,

Im now back from the US. Has there been any advances on the Boomer? We need to get in contact, so that we can commence the dual Boomer build ups. I am eager to get cracking on the enlarged plans you have.

You have my contact details, drop me a line if you have a spare moment.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 PM
hawker3119

Hi all Dave Brown has finished a set of formers for me and i will be picking them up in Orange this w/end i will let you know next week what they are like ........cheers John
Old 02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
puma79

John,

That sounds great. I havent forgotten you, Ive just been extremely busy with Apple and my company. I am looking forward to hearing what the formers are like. I am still very interested in doing a build up along with you on this boomer. Are we still able to get something going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.